Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 10, 2016 at 12:01 PM Post #15,196 of 75,871
I just tried a decent Lyre audio copper cable and it settled the issue with sibilance for me.

As I promised I compared VX and PT-15. 
Well, here it is:

The VX is airy with very high detalisation and decent overall balance. The bass is present and quite clean, but there is no punch. You know that fealing when you not only hear the bass but feel it? It is clearly missing.Just try Bonobo - Kiara to get what I mean - the punch should come with the beat. That is not a big deal for classical music (not all of it though).
The mids are clean, detailed, slightly moved back (like a single step). 
The highs are clean, crisp, without "sandy" aftertaste. The sibilance is very rare, pretty much none existent. The violin is superb in these.

The build.
Steel. *****in steel. It is indestructable, but is so damn cold to use outdoors. Using these in -15 will leave you with a frostburn. The cable is feeling okay. It has a decent rubber cover, has a little memory, but not to a point to make it a big deal. The jack is ok. The only thing that troubles me a bit is the cable separator - no chin strap is not a big deal, but no strain relief is likely to be an issue. L&R can be differed not only by engravinds but  by the bottom part of the earbuds - the left one has the ring-cut ( do not know how to call it correctly). The VX engravings are small and quite nice.

Overall the feel like a well designed and well made product. The sound was not made by accident, but by design. It excells at classic composition that do not have immense bass( Bach-lovers for example may be disappointed), the traditional chineese music, trip, trip-hop, ambient and country 9John. Not so good for hip-hop (some of Outkast tracks were ok, but Shahmen's - Mark is definetely not for theese earbuds), metal, core-genres etc.

PT-15 is airy still, the detalisation is no less than VX, but balance is strange. Let me explain. i tried it with Lyre audio cable, stock black and HCK-green-black cheapo cable. The sibilance was a big issue on two latter, but the first one soothened it a bit. But no matter what cable I tried there seems to be hump in treble area. Overall they are ok but sometimes you get a feeling of razor coming through your ear.
If we talk about about bass - the situation is more or less the same. The bass is heard but not perceived. Bass boost swith on Fiio A5 ain't helping at all.
Mids are good. Just good. Nothing superb, but nothing to worry about.
Treble extension is very good, more or less the same when compared to VX. The highs are pretty much well done. "Sandy" effect occured once or twice, but it was not systematic. The problem is that sibilance is there. Maybe it is easy to correct with EQ, but I hate to use one. Only with copper cable that costs more than the bud and VE foams I somehow managed to finish it off.

The build.

I do not know what the shell material is but it looks decent. The engravings are nice ( btw what do the numbers after PT15_*** mean? any ideas?). The connector quality is yet to be discovered, but so good so far. 
With swappable cable there ain't much i can say about default cable - it ain't really bad, but ain't cool either. It is ok, especially given the price.

Overall the earbuds is good, but what you should keep in mind that this needs some tinkering to get it comfortable. Is it a problem given the price? No. It is a thing you should keep in mind. 

Summary
The PT-15 and VX may be compared, because they (imo) have a close J(rather than V) signature. They are very different in terms of price, while being not so different in terms of sound. Yes, the VX feels more refined, but it is much more expensive and no cable socket. As I said the upgrade is in overall tonal balance. Would i recommend to get VX over PT-15? Not sure. I purchased it before PT-15 arrived.

p.s. Please take this with a grain of salt. I am not a professional and make judgements out of my own preception, which may be very different from yours.
Both headphones were purchased. I used Hidisz AP100-FiioA5 combo and .flac 16-24bit files for testing. Thank you for reading!

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:08 PM Post #15,197 of 75,871
Two questions, folks:

1) What version of K's 500's have the rattling cable issue? 1 or 2(more expensive one)? Or both?

2) I know it is an off-top, but have anone in this thread listened to L&P L3 DAP? Is it worth getting?

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:15 PM Post #15,198 of 75,871
thank u, will practise with something cheep first...

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:36 PM Post #15,199 of 75,871
Someone mention ty 32 is not available for purchase anymore? I'm glad my ty 32 still going strong in build quality and SQ. All these made me realize that some small production stuff weren't meant to be mass produced and not always readily available

The TY 32 v1 (straight plug) is no longer available although the v2 (L-shaped plug) is. They sound different and I prefer the v1. I think the Qian39 and SHE3900 are also better than the v2. In addition there is now the TY 32s which I don't think anyone has received yet.

Dec 10, 2016 at 12:46 PM Post #15,200 of 75,871
Lovely earbuds, is a pity recessed mids, amplifier corrects it fortunately :heartbeat: cm700ti
15419725_1244494135645063_4530525069985806769_o.jpg

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #15,201 of 75,871
  As I promised I compared VX and PT-15. 

Very good description JASru.

On 11.11. I ordered TY650, Moondrop VX Pro, EO320, Qian39 and **** PT15. No TY650 for me this time because the seller canceled my order but few days ago I received two of ordered earbuds and for last days I am spending my time mainly with VX Pro and PT15.
**** PT15 - hmmm... quite a positive surprice for me. Very organic sound, soft... soft silk. Vibrant piece of paper, pergamin. It's like that old vintage violin that is already well boken-in after hundreds hours of playing. Yes, it is prone to sibilance and hissing but I feel that's the price that has to be paid for its overall nice performance. Most acoustic instruments sound exceptionally good in PT15. For example grand piano sounds like electric piano in most earbuds but in PT15 it has very pleasant timbre.

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:20 PM Post #15,202 of 75,871
  Very good description JASru.

On 11.11. I ordered TY650, Moondrop VX Pro, EO320, Qian39 and **** PT15. No TY650 for me this time because the seller canceled my order but few days ago I received two of ordered earbuds and for last days I am spending my time mainly with VX Pro and PT15.
**** PT15 - hmmm... quite a positive surprice for me. Very organic sound, soft... soft silk. Vibrant piece of paper, pergamin. It's like that old vintage violin that is already well boken-in after hundreds hours of playing. Yes, it is prone to sibilance and hissing but I feel that's the price that has to be paid for its overall nice performance. Most acoustic instruments sound exceptionally good in PT15. For example grand piano sounds like electric piano in most earbuds but in PT15 it has very pleasant timbre.

Have you received VX already?

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:45 PM Post #15,205 of 75,871
After 2 days in the company of PT15 I still like them or like them even more :) with some corrections in EQ they can sound impressive, well, considering my small collection of cheapo buds of course :)

Dec 10, 2016 at 1:51 PM Post #15,206 of 75,871
Got introduced back into the world of earbuds thanks to the Monk+.

Looking for more earbuds to try that may exceed the sound quality of the Monks.

I so far saw that the Qian39 and TY Hi-Z 1.0 are very popular around here.
Any other great low budget suggestions since the TY 1.0 are not available anymore?

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:03 PM Post #15,207 of 75,871
  Sorry, missed that. You have similar feeling that I do? That VX is a bit more refined and balanced, but not to the extent to explain the 2x price difference.

I received VX Pro and PT15 almost the same time so I started using them almost simultaneously changing from one to another every few albums. At first I liked VX Pro much more and I thought that PT15 is very mediocre. But after some time I undestood that VX Pro is in fact just another variation of the similar sound but this is PT15 that brings something new to earbuds world. Very organic paper-like timbre nicely reveling all harmonies in music. I wouldn't be suprices at all to find PT15 in "The Contender" category one day. Is VX more balanced and refined? Maybe yes but the charm is in PT15.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:26 PM Post #15,208 of 75,871

Sorry, missed that. You have similar feeling that I do? That VX is a bit more refined and balanced, but not to the extent to explain the 2x price difference.

I received VX Pro and PT15 almost the same time so I started using them almost simultaneously changing from one to another every few albums. At first I liked VX Pro much more and I thought that PT15 is very mediocre. But after some time I undestood that VX Pro is in fact just another variation of the similar sound but this is PT15 that brings something new to earbuds world. Very organic paper-like timbre nicely reveling all harmonies in music. I wouldn't be suprices at all to find PT15 in "The Contender" category one day. Is VX more balanced and refined? Maybe yes but the charm is in PT15.

Absolutly agree with you Tomasz. PT15 are really great, very nice airy sound. Bass is also great if you add some bass boost using EQ. I like them more than Tomahawk or 1more EO320 earbuds.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:39 PM Post #15,209 of 75,871

Guess the problem may be that I need a darker DAP. AP100 is overly neutral, but has some shift in treble.

Dec 10, 2016 at 2:42 PM Post #15,210 of 75,871
  Got introduced back into the world of earbuds thanks to the Monk+.

Looking for more earbuds to try that may exceed the sound quality of the Monks.

I so far saw that the Qian39 and TY Hi-Z 1.0 are very popular around here.
Any other great low budget suggestions since the TY 1.0 are not available anymore?

think as monk+ as middle ground, TY 32 is brighter more accurate vocal (IMO), she3800 is darker, both has better mids (again, IMO) than monk+ but lack the airiness. I just recently re-appreciate she3800 after months untouched. I like it so much that I ordered another pair, and that leads to another purchase.. (qian) man I haven't bought anything in 3 months because I'm very satisfied with my TY 320ohm. But she3800 got meatier and heavier bass and better lower mid. surprisingly the bass never sound muddy or felt spilling. It also can handle a lot of amping. however the bass slam can be tiring sometimes.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back