Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 25, 2016 at 3:13 PM Post #10,741 of 75,648
  Hi everyone, I'm looking for a pair of earbuds as a desktop solution powered by my Objective O2. My budget is 80USD and I want them solely for listening to piano solos. Used/new doesn't matter to me.

An earbud that I guess sounds like a Sennheiser, where there's weight on every key the pianist presses and the melody of a piano just flows. I currently own the VE Monk and the Shozy Zero.

For solo piano via amp that would be SeaHF LD-3.0 400 Ohm for about $55.

Sep 25, 2016 at 3:42 PM Post #10,742 of 75,648
  For solo piano via amp that would be SeaHF LD-3.0 400 Ohm for about $55.

400 OHMS O_O

I've heard things like the Objective O2 not even being able to drive the VE Zen to its' full ability
Edit: I've read that the SeaHF are bright, are they able to carry the heavy and deep tone of a piano?

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:10 PM Post #10,743 of 75,648
400 OHMS O_O

I've heard things like the Objective O2 not even being able to drive the VE Zen to its' full ability

Edit: I've read that the SeaHF are bright, are they able to carry the heavy and deep tone of a piano?

My daughter plays piano so I attended countless piano concerts and I selected this earbud "by hand" for best piano sound :) But about synergy with your amp I don't know.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:14 PM Post #10,744 of 75,648
My daughter plays piano so I attended countless piano concerts and I selected this earbud "by hand" for best piano sound
smily_headphones1.gif
But about synergy with your amp I don't know.

I suppose synergy can come later, but the Objective O2 outputs 600ohms 88mw at most, which should be enough? There isn't enough specs about the SeaHF for me to judge.

Sep 25, 2016 at 4:16 PM Post #10,745 of 75,648
Rose Mojito "Special Version": https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-New-Rose-Mojito-Special-Version-Flat-Head-Earphone-Double-Dynamic-Earplug-HIFI-Monitor-DIY-Earphone/1825606_32739672235.html
seems new?

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:02 PM Post #10,747 of 75,648

The Rose Masya is up for pre-order. Mass production apparently won't start till October though.
https://www.aliexpress.com/store/product/2016-Newest-Rose-Masya-Flat-Head-Earphone-Double-Dynamic-Earplug-HIFI-Monitor-DIY-Earphone-With-2/1825606_32739193404.html

Sep 25, 2016 at 5:30 PM Post #10,748 of 75,648
I have found a really great pairing with og monk and little bear b4 amp. I was close to putting the b4 up for sale until I tried this pairing. Incredible sound. I keep thinking there is some bogus software "3D" effect turned on due to how expansive it sounds. Monk plus is totally different on this amp. Not bad but the soundstage is much narrower.

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:09 PM Post #10,750 of 75,648
Like some others here, my first time trying an Ear bud headphone was when I bought the monk plus. Really enjoy the ear buds after years of iems.

What's the next step after the monks? Should I try other budget buds or start increasing my price range and picking up quality buds?

Compared to full sized cans, almost all ear buds could be considered budget head gear.
Many will argue that there is significant difference between the cheapest ones like VE Monk, VE Monk+, Boarseman K25s, FAAEAL 64, QianYun Qian 25, TY Hi-Z 32 and so on.
But to my non golden ears they sound pretty much similar. All are decent buds with some flaws in one way or another. Of the ones mentioned I only use the Monks.
For a few dollars more you can get the AUGLAMOUR RX-1 or the Boarseman MX98s and if that doesn't satisfy you, or spark your interest to dig deeper, the sky is the limit.

I recently picked up a pair of
Sennheiser MX 680 Sport In-Ear Only Headphones - Black/Yellow

They are discontinued and refurbs go for $15 or less. I ordered them when eager to try a bud and Monks were "in the mail" lol! The MX 680's were mentioned and highly recommended many pages ago in this thread.

Compared to Monk+ the 680 needs more power but clip+ or smartphone is fine. Not as much bass as the Monk+ and the 680 has sparkly highs and emphasis on the mids. It comes with different size hooks, foam, and silicon seals, similar to ex-pack, sort of... Not just for sports. Read more about them if sound interesting.

Edit: note the "in ear" isn't a typo. That's how It's listed, definitely a bud

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:17 PM Post #10,751 of 75,648
I listen to all kinds of music, prefer neutral to slightly warm sound signature, and my usual listening volume is medium to low, thanks!

I think TY Hi-z 32 fits the bill for all kinds of music. But bass is boosted making it more for bass loving ears. .

Sep 25, 2016 at 6:40 PM Post #10,752 of 75,648
The cheapskate in me could not resist it; I just ordered.
It's either "end game" earbuds, or chew toy (just joking, no puppy will be harmed)
:)

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/MSD-Original-Earphones-Professional-In-Ear-Earphones-Super-Bass-Protable-Earphones-Stereo-Super-Clear-Headset-For/32707547507.html

Sep 25, 2016 at 8:53 PM Post #10,753 of 75,648
  My take on Monk+ with double thin foam, TY HIZ 32 old version with single think monk foam and philips she3800. Take with a light mind.

Sound Signature: Monk > TY > SHE3800
Now this depends on preference in i like the monk because they are very musical and fun but other two are also good for different songs. Philips and Monk are not very different in sound.

Bass: Monk+ > TY > SHE3800
TY has more sub bass while monk has more mid bass, phillips has similar bass to TY but its like by a drum or tube like. But more importantly, i like the slam of the bass, in that regard Monk+ has the hardest slam and very clean that makes you excited watching action scenes in a movie or drama, TY and Philips have similar slam.

Mids: TY Slightly > Monk+ > SHE3800
Monk+ and Philips have mostly similar mids with monk being cleaner and more musical, while ty has sharper and less rounder then both, so it depends on music and preference and i like the sharper ones.

Highs: TY = Monk = SHE3800
All three are similar in highs, its slightly extended but still on the softer side, none of the three has sharp highs that say of piston 2 for example.

Soundstage: TY = Monk = SHE3800
Tbh i sell all these three have BIG soundstage so no weaknesses here.

Separation, Clarity: Monk > TY > SHE3800
Monk and TY are very close in Separation and clarity but monk appears better than TY while is also not far. 

3D Imaging: Monk+ >> SHE3800 > TY
Now here is the difference is quality, Monk has superior 3d and imaging followed by philips which are still not close enough to monk but still better then TY which has quite flat imaging.

My Over All: Monk+ > TY > SHE3800
Again these depends on preferences and what i like is bass slam, soundstage, imaging and monk does that better then others. I am not a reviewer so don't take this seriously ok.

monk seems to come in par with TY Hi-Z. i own both and seems to be better and better after burned.

Someone linked me to a store on Aliexpress that sold the style earbud shell the Cygnus and black Cygnus  use, however they since seem to have disappeared, so i wonder if using those shells for other earbud drivers is still a viable thing.

is that yuin PK series housing ?

Thanks for the response! I typically prefer balanced iems with good extension (sold my fidue a83) and have recently tried balanced-dark bassier ones. I listen to various genres jazz, rock, chill, drum n bass, classical, etc. I'm very open to recommendations and don't necessarily have a budget restriction as long as it's within reason that's why I asked if there are earbuds worthy of getting within a given price point. Im tempted to try different models!

TY 32 and old ve monk or qian 25/39

Like some others here, my first time trying an Ear bud headphone was when I bought the monk plus. Really enjoy the ear buds after years of iems.

What's the next step after the monks? Should I try other budget buds or start increasing my price range and picking up quality buds?

both will come to an endless journey. welcome to the earbuds realm.

Sep 25, 2016 at 10:02 PM Post #10,754 of 75,648
  I have just received the Boarseman MX98S and used them for some time with my LG V10 before allowing them to burn in. I am very impressed, I enjoyed the sound much more than my previous favorite set of earbuds - the Monk classic. I am not sure I like the fit and the cable (it's too stiff for my liking), but the sound is really enjoyable. MX98S owners, for how long have you burned in yours?

Would love to hear your opinion on them in more details...

Sep 25, 2016 at 11:47 PM Post #10,755 of 75,648
just found this and want to ask.

Rose Mojito
Taobao : http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=0.0.0.0&id=43414853614
MisterTao : http://www.mistertao.com/beta/pages/item/43414853614.html

there are 3 version of mojito ? there is 3 different price.
and also is that mojito seems to have an update for 2016 that have been posted above as 2016 special edition something (the one with candy blink color) ?

can anyone explain the 3 price difference and the difference between 2014, 2015 and 2016 (special edition version) ?
which one is the one we are talking here in the round up ?

Rose Masya
Taobao :http://m.intl.taobao.com/detail/detail.html?spm=0.0.0.0&id=536938080337
MisterTao : http://www.mistertao.com/beta/pages/item/536938080337.html

@ClieOS @golov17 @vapman @Tayyab Pirzada @Danneq @Tomasz2D @AudioNewbi3 @haiku @music4mhell

sorry for long post. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back