Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 24, 2016 at 7:17 PM Post #10,681 of 75,875
Someone linked me to a store on Aliexpress that sold the style earbud shell the Cygnus and black Cygnus  use, however they since seem to have disappeared, so i wonder if using those shells for other earbud drivers is still a viable thing.

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:53 PM Post #10,682 of 75,875
  Someone linked me to a store on Aliexpress that sold the style earbud shell the Cygnus and black Cygnus  use, however they since seem to have disappeared, so i wonder if using those shells for other earbud drivers is still a viable thing.

Is this it?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-headset-accessories-14-8MM-headphones-shell-Double-the-sound-hole-Cotton-has-been-posted/2046553820.html

Sep 24, 2016 at 7:59 PM Post #10,683 of 75,875

Is this it?
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/DIY-headset-accessories-14-8MM-headphones-shell-Double-the-sound-hole-Cotton-has-been-posted/2046553820.html

YES!
a different store than the one i'd seen, but same thing
biggrin.gif

Been wanting to put some Monk Plus drivers in these if they fit but i don't think they do.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:12 PM Post #10,684 of 75,875

YES!
a different store than the one i'd seen, but same thing
biggrin.gif

Been wanting to put some Monk Plus drivers in these if they fit but i don't think they do.

I ordered some time ago. Still on the slow boat. Hoping to find my broken E888 and re-shell it.

Seriously, with the amazing pool of knowledge here, you guys should think about collaborating & coming up with some open-source, self-assembled earbud designs based around bits & parts available on AE, I much rather rely on the ears of people here than AE sellers.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:14 PM Post #10,685 of 75,875
  I ordered some time ago. Still on the slow boat. Hoping to find my broken E888 and re-shell it.

Seriously, with the amazing pool of knowledge here, you guys should think about collaborating & coming up with some open-source, self-assembled earbud designs based around bits & parts available on AE, I much rather rely on the ears of people here than AE sellers.

if old sony drivers fit those you can guess whats gonna happen to my MDR E838.

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:20 PM Post #10,686 of 75,875
Thanks for the response! I typically prefer balanced iems with good extension (sold my fidue a83) and have recently tried balanced-dark bassier ones. I listen to various genres jazz, rock, chill, drum n bass, classical, etc. I'm very open to recommendations and don't necessarily have a budget restriction as long as it's within reason that's why I asked if there are earbuds worthy of getting within a given price point. Im tempted to try different models!

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:47 PM Post #10,687 of 75,875
I just took some pictures of the T-Music DIY Earbud - Version 2 (with Microphone):

It really does have a decent build quality and a fun sound to boot.  Better than the first T-Music DIY Earbud Version IMO.

--

Sep 24, 2016 at 8:59 PM Post #10,688 of 75,875
  Very interesting thread. I just received my monk plus a few days ago and I am so surprised by it. Could you guys give recommendations on other earbuds by price and performance? I'm looking at SEAHF and FAAEAL but I don't know their sound signature. 

The problem is that the world of earbuds is huge and varied (as it is with IEMs) and a single point of reference is not very helpful. I suggest you broaden your base slightly (and cheaply). For about $5 each you can get the TY Hi-Z 32 and Philips SHE3800 (for example). Both are highly regarded on here for their price and performance. Along with your Monk+ you will then be able to identify which characteristics of these three you like and dislike, and using this feedback people will be able to help you target the earbuds that are most likely to satisfy your preferences. Otherwise you could end up spending a lot of money without necessarily getting the best buds for your tastes.

Sep 24, 2016 at 10:41 PM Post #10,690 of 75,875
Hello, I need a earbud with large soundstage
I love my TY HiZ 32 for its soundstage and sounded like using tube amp and give analouge sound
I have budget about 30$, do you have any suggestion for upgrade from TY HiZ with similar sound like TY HiZ?
I prefer with meutral to bright, but at the most i need the soundstage

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:18 PM Post #10,691 of 75,875
@BloodyPenguin I might order one of the new T-Musics depending on your impressions
wink.gif

The Edimun 3 makes the Cygnus seem so flat, lifeless and narrow soundstaged! I'm really impressed. So fun and engaging and musical, soundstage some of the best I've ever heard really.

cygnus, red de'mun and edimun v3 all are different enough i will keep and use all 3. If you ask me if Red De'mun or Edimun v3 is better, I would tell you they are on equal footing but serve different purposes. Red Demun closer to MX985, Edimun V3 closer to vintage Sony/Mojito.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:31 PM Post #10,692 of 75,875
Wow, is it THAT good? As an Indonesian I'm really tempted on purchasing the Edimun one of these days, if I may ask, which way is their sound sig lean more to, Warm & musical or detailed & bright?
I know it's broader than that, but general description is enough.

Sep 24, 2016 at 11:46 PM Post #10,693 of 75,875
Wow, is it THAT good? As an Indonesian I'm really tempted on purchasing the Edimun one of these days, if I may ask, which way is their sound sig lean more to, Warm & musical or detailed & bright?
I know it's broader than that, but general description is enough.

if i had to put each in a category

edimun detailed & bright
red demun warm & musical

IMO

beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:01 AM Post #10,694 of 75,875
  Review of TY-HIZ 650Ohm in Teiba Baidu
http://tieba.baidu.com/p/4787849598

I tried to google translate the page, but sadly it all turned gibberish.
Is the TY Hi-Z 650 compared to one of the TY Hi-Z 400 versions in the review, and if so is it the 400 or the 400s?
And in that case, is the TY Hi-Z 400 just another brand name for the Seahf LD-3 400 and the TY Hi-Z 400s = Seahf LD-4 400? 
I would buy the TY Hi-Z 650 if it contains the clarity and detail of the Seahf LD-3 320 and adds the sub bass of the Seahf LD-4 400, but if the TY Hi-Z 650 bares similarities to the sub bass of the Seahf LD-3 400 I will most likely pass.

Sep 25, 2016 at 12:11 AM Post #10,695 of 75,875
Like some others here, my first time trying an Ear bud headphone was when I bought the monk plus. Really enjoy the ear buds after years of iems.

What's the next step after the monks? Should I try other budget buds or start increasing my price range and picking up quality buds?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back