Earbuds Round-Up
Aug 8, 2016 at 1:01 PM Post #8,071 of 75,282
  It's great to see how interest in, and availability of, earbuds has increased since the last time I checked in to these parts! I have the RX-1 and Monk+ on my short list to try. Right now, however, I'm looking for inexpensive earbuds with a microphone. Any clear recommendations?

The 3 that I have are the Edifier H180P, Remax 303, and the e600. 

All are good but I think I prefer either the e600 or the H180P but the e600 is a bit larger for my ears(most likely just my fault as they are not large).

As a note,  I also prefer neutral sound like HD600 not dark or v shaped as some do.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:17 PM Post #8,072 of 75,282
It's great to see how interest in, and availability of, earbuds has increased since the last time I checked in to these parts! I have the RX-1 and Monk+ on my short list to try. Right now, however, I'm looking for inexpensive earbuds with a microphone. Any clear recommendations?

Original Monk with mic and modded cable: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Original-VE-Monk-with-REMOTE-and-Mic-HQ-custom-cable-/231973727127?nav=SEARCH

These are probably my favourite at the moment

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:18 PM Post #8,073 of 75,282
I like ultra detailed wide soundstage sound with some bass. But i dont mind V shaped sometimes, it makes things fun.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #8,074 of 75,282
  I am also very interested in the Remax 305M, looking forward to hearing your impressions.  

Tried it with foams on and off.

Pluses: good phone call voice quality, nice fabric covered and soft cable, volume and tracks control that works in iOS and Android, tight bass.
Minuses: tricky and uncomfortable fit, very narrow and congested soundstage, unpleasent mids, sort of tin-can sound, too bright.

Personally I would choose Remax 305M only as a headset mainly for phonecalls with very occasional music listening sessions.

But let's wait for Oleg's opinion first.

Aug 8, 2016 at 2:52 PM Post #8,075 of 75,282

Tried it with foams on and off.

Pluses: good phone call voice quality, nice fabric covered and soft cable, volume and tracks control that works in iOS and Android, tight bass.
Minuses: tricky and uncomfortable fit, very narrow and congested soundstage, unpleasent mids, sort of tin-can sound, too bright.

Personally I would choose Remax 305M only as a headset mainly for phonecalls with very occasional music listening sessions.

But let's wait for Oleg's opinion first.

Thanks for the quick impressions.  I trust your ears and I am sure you are describing it correctly.  Yeah, think I might be skipping these.  Not a signature I enjoy.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:18 PM Post #8,076 of 75,282
  The 3 that I have are the Edifier H180P, Remax 303, and the e600. 

All are good but I think I prefer either the e600 or the H180P but the e600 is a bit larger for my ears(most likely just my fault as they are not large).

As a note,  I also prefer neutral sound like HD600 not dark or v shaped as some do.

Thanks! I'm an old HD580 fan, so your taste should be similar to mine. Going by the stock earbuds I've used, my ears are probably larger, however.

I found the Edifier earbuds available from High Quality Electronic Products and the Remax earbuds available from Wisen Technology Co. on AliExpress. Is there a better place to purchase them? The prices are attractive....

You didn't mention the brand for the third one, but I searched for "e600" in this thread and found the JiuShao e600. That's what you're referring to, correct? Unfortunately it does not seem to be available currently.

Original Monk with mic and modded cable: http://m.ebay.com/itm/Original-VE-Monk-with-REMOTE-and-Mic-HQ-custom-cable-/231973727127?nav=SEARCH

Thanks for this, too! That's actually more than I want to spend right now, as I'm on a very limited budget, but I will keep it in mind.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:25 PM Post #8,077 of 75,282

Thanks! I'm an old HD580 fan, so your taste should be similar to mine. Going by the stock earbuds I've used, my ears are probably larger, however.

I found the Edifier earbuds available from High Quality Electronic Products and the Remax earbuds available from Wisen Technology Co. on AliExpress. Is there a better place to purchase them? The prices are attractive....

You didn't mention the brand for the third one, but I searched for "e600" in this thread and found the JiuShao e600. That's what you're referring to, correct? Unfortunately it does not seem to be available currently.

Thanks for this, too! That's actually more than I want to spend right now, as I'm on a very limited budget, but I will keep it in mind.

Yes those are what I was referring to.  I am not sure which is best for you but I ordered from aliexpress.

Aug 8, 2016 at 3:52 PM Post #8,080 of 75,282

Guys maybe it's just my opinion but please don't support the market that hoarded a bunch of $5 earbuds to make profit off people who didn't get an original monk when they were out.

Sure it's nice that it's recabled and has a mic but you can get that cable and do the job yourself on your own monk for $10 if that.

There are plenty of new and currently being sold buds on the market that sound really damn close to the original monk, and they are all under $10 new. Have not heard the TY HiZ 32 ohm ( a sub $10 bud ) but someone posted pics of them next to the original monk and said they sound very similar. I don't know this for myself though.

I have the Remax 303 and it is fine but NO bass whatsoever - i only use them for making phone calls really.

@David Mitchell  First if you don't have a Monk Plus get one of those. No question. Most of us here with insane earbud collections still use that $5 earbud every day. Grab that and a couple other cheapies and you'll know where to go from there.. it has been MANY years since I heard a hd580 so  i can't compare it to things i own.

Aug 8, 2016 at 4:30 PM Post #8,081 of 75,282
Guys maybe it's just my opinion but please don't support the market that hoarded a bunch of $5 earbuds to make profit off people who didn't get an original monk when they were out.

Sure it's nice that it's recabled and has a mic but you can get that cable and do the job yourself on your own monk for $10 if that.

There are plenty of new and currently being sold buds on the market that sound really damn close to the original monk, and they are all under $10 new. Have not heard the TY HiZ 32 ohm ( a sub $10 bud ) but someone posted pics of them next to the original monk and said they sound very similar. I don't know this for myself though.

I have the Remax 303 and it is fine but NO bass whatsoever - i only use them for making phone calls really.

@David Mitchell
  First if you don't have a Monk Plus get one of those. No question. Most of us here with insane earbud collections still use that $5 earbud every day. Grab that and a couple other cheapies and you'll know where to go from there.. it has been MANY years since I heard a hd580 so  i can't compare it to things i own.

Agreed with every word you say @vapman. As far as I remember HD580 is very airy and kind of bass light along with some good details. I believe that Monk plus could serve you well rather than Monk which is warmer and bassier.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #8,083 of 75,282
Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person who thinks the MP is warmer than the original Monk.

MP is way more neutral to my ears.

And true, you should be able to recable yourself. Unless you are a newbie like me lol.

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:36 PM Post #8,084 of 75,282
You should be able to recable yourself. Unless you are a newbie like me lol.

I very much want to learn how to re-cable my earbuds.  I have a few ones I want to cable swap, but I do not have the know-how or the tools.

I really should look into it.  

--

Aug 8, 2016 at 5:51 PM Post #8,085 of 75,282

I very much want to learn how to re-cable my earbuds.  I have a few ones I want to cable swap, but I do not have the know-how or the tools.

I really should look into it.  

--

Cheap desoldering iron to make removing solder easy and painless (desoldering wick sucks and will make you hate life). Even a cheapo rat shack one is great.

A soldering iron is worth spending a little more than the cheapest ones, you want one with actual temperature/power control and there are plenty of good stations that can be had for not much money.

I have a  hakko 808 and a hakko 888, love them both and have not screwed up a single project since getting them, but there are definitely cheaper options. Budget irons with no sort of temp/power control or replacable tips will just break whatever you're trying to work on

My remax 305M hasn't even shipped yet, i bought it before the T-music! argh!!!!!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back