Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 2, 2016 at 11:45 AM Post #5,926 of 75,272
  Hmmm... Swede and IKEA. Such stereotyping!   
tongue_smile.gif

Of course it was supposed to be a joke but... we happened to be in IKEA today and just couldn't resist :) Earbuds compatible shelves!

Jul 2, 2016 at 12:50 PM Post #5,930 of 75,272

Maybe it's isssue of source. I use both with Dragonfly Black, which is warm.

Yes, that could be it. Or possibly we simply hear things differently.

I'm using the Zuperdac, and to me the Monks sound great off of it. From what I've read so far, the Dragonfly Black is very good, but maybe it wouldn't be for me if it affects the Monk+'s negatively. Fwiw, I'm still waiting to find direct comparisons between the zuperdac and DFB.

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:03 PM Post #5,932 of 75,272
v3 on next week :innocent:

We need a "golov17 earbud express thread" to keep track of all of your buds and to keep track of your impressions of them all!

Jul 2, 2016 at 1:46 PM Post #5,934 of 75,272

They modified the driver, change the original cable and jack to improve it

Thanks sir! nice focus on the jack :D

That's Edimun V2 with Rhodium jack, do you ordering the V3 too?

Sir golov's edimun used oyaide rhodium. Edimun usually used rhodium jack. Mine is carbon rho.
While red demon, i don't know, more vary but you still can ask them specific jack to use.
But for edimun, as far as i know, best with rhodium jack.

Jul 2, 2016 at 2:28 PM Post #5,935 of 75,272
agh, i need a Edimun v3 sent here! i have to hear it!!!

BTW found the Remax RM-303 for fun on amazon last night. 14.99 with prime. not sure if that's good if you absolutely gotta have it next day and nothing else would do, but it's so easy to get for $5 a piece, why not buy 3 of em from china and wait a week or 2 for em to show up?

it was one of my fastest ali orders ever, from that random store i'd never heard of before :)

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:06 PM Post #5,937 of 75,272
Can't tell you. One of the reasons I started reading this board was my desire to find a significantly better earbuds from what I have. I started with Monks few months ago and they are nice, but lacking a lot for me personally. I got Tomahawk few days ago and I am very disappointed. I expect much more based on the reviews... I am thinking of Cygnus now... and maybe Rose BUT I am not so sure... Just based on reviews of Tomahawk I expected way more than what I got... Cygnus and Tomahawk owners, will Cygnus be a step up in a right direction from Tomahawk???

Question for the experts. I still HATE Tomahawks and strongly suspect that what I received is not the same as some of you have and enjoy. Comparing to Tomahawks my Monk's have a much better nicer richer sound on vocals and house music. But Monks sound a bit muddy to me. Base is certainly lucking detail. I do not need more base. I nee I guess more quality. And more detail overall, but I do quiet like the signature of the sound comparing to Tomahawks. What would you recommend next? Cygnus or Red Devil? I would hate to spend a 100$ and hate it as Tomahawks... I would appreciate your help!

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:09 PM Post #5,938 of 75,272
Question for the experts. I still HATE Tomahawks and strongly suspect that what I received is not the same as some of you have and enjoy. Comparing to Tomahawks my Monk's have a much better nicer richer sound on vocals and house music. But Monks sound a bit muddy to me. Base is certainly lucking detail. I do not need more base. I nee I guess more quality. And more detail overall, but I do quiet like the signature of the sound comparing to Tomahawks. What would you recommend next? Cygnus or Red Devil? I would hate to spend a 100$ and hate it as Tomahawks... I would appreciate your help!
Edimun v2 or v3

Jul 2, 2016 at 5:11 PM Post #5,939 of 75,272

reading any couple pages of this thread will show the tomahawks are either loved or hated and no in between... best to sell them probably to fund future purposes
biggrin.gif

i prefer red demon to cygnus personally, i spent $85 with EMS shipping on my red demon to the USA, and the baseline price before shipping on the cygnus was $89.99 or 99.99 last i checked, and at that point you can only hope for free epacket shipping at best...

also consider edimun v3 which also just came out by de'mun, red demon is a limited edition so may not still be available, but edimun v3 will be if red demon is not!

Jul 2, 2016 at 6:13 PM Post #5,940 of 75,272
Just came across this which explains why I now prefer earbuds to IEMs:

"Scientists say that your smell receptors can replace and regenerate damaged neurons. Yet hearing receptors can never regenerate or repair themselves....

My concern is focused on the really prevalent style of 'buds, which are called inner ear monitors, or IEMs, and have that recognizable rubber tip.

When an IEM is stuck in your ear, it creates a seal, and the movement of the driver produces nearly identical movement of your ear drum. Which is way more movement and pneumatic pressure than your drum is used to. Your ears then activate what's called the stapedial reflex, which is an emergency response that lowers the volume in your head by pulling the three little hearing bones in your ear away from one another.

Incidentally, the reflex also activates whenever you speak, and that keeps the sound of your own speaking from overwhelming your consciousness.

Anyway, the problem lies in the fact that when it's always on, this reflex is annoying and fatiguing. Plus the volume drop usually causes you to turn the volume up on your device, further exacerbating the issue."

Duncan Taylor
http://copper.psaudio.com/Issue1/11/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back