Earbuds Round-Up
May 12, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #4,576 of 75,279
So all of you Zen 2.0 lovers, tell me which one did you get?
Normal, Balanced, Cardas Cable Version?

May 12, 2016 at 3:44 PM Post #4,577 of 75,279
I have the black Cardas cable version.

May 12, 2016 at 4:52 PM Post #4,578 of 75,279
  So this is exactly what I think verbatim except the last claim about the OG Monk. I basically agree the Monk+ is a mini Asura 2.0. So if you like the Asura you will LOVE the Monk+. It is basically disposable Asuras for $5. In fact, I don't see what use the Asura 2.0 has in the lineup anymore because the Monk+ is basically decently close to it but at a much friendlier price. Anyone who can afford a $70 earbud can probably afford a slightly more expensive earbud and just get the Zen 2. But the Monk+ is a different price bracket, they are expendable. 

I don't agree though that the OG Monk is thinner. It is very clearly to my ears warmer and has deeper bass than the Monk+ but the highs are a bit harsher/more V shaped sound than the Monk+ so maybe it might feel thinner if you like loud music, but they definitely have more bass than the Monk+ in terms of presence and quantity. 

I also prefer the Zen to every other VE earbud so that's no surprise there. 

I will give the OG Monk another shot today. I didn't do much litsening after getting my Zen and Monk+'s to be honest, maybe a minute  or two at most (shameful I know) but I was so eager to hear my new buds.

In retrospect the high being sharper/more V shaped is I think what led me to be like "oh it's thinner, okay, back to the pile you go" with the OG monks. today i'll bust em out again and see what I think.

Anyway, i'm also 100% with you that I felt like the Asura 2.0 was almost redundant with the Monk+ in the lineup.

For now, the SeaHf made it in, so I gotta do some listening so I can get a review in!

May 12, 2016 at 5:12 PM Post #4,579 of 75,279

I will give the OG Monk another shot today. I didn't do much litsening after getting my Zen and Monk+'s to be honest, maybe a minute  or two at most (shameful I know) but I was so eager to hear my new buds.

In retrospect the high being sharper/more V shaped is I think what led me to be like "oh it's thinner, okay, back to the pile you go" with the OG monks. today i'll bust em out again and see what I think.

Anyway, i'm also 100% with you that I felt like the Asura 2.0 was almost redundant with the Monk+ in the lineup.

For now, the SeaHf made it in, so I gotta do some listening so I can get a review in!

If you play some decently bass heavy music and switch back and forth with the OG monk and monk+ it becomes decently obviousl. 

The SeaHF 400ohm? People say that has better bass than the Zen 2.0 so please let us know what you think asap! 

May 12, 2016 at 5:20 PM Post #4,580 of 75,279
  If you play some decently bass heavy music and switch back and forth with the OG monk and monk+ it becomes decently obviousl. 

The SeaHF 400ohm? People say that has better bass than the Zen 2.0 so please let us know what you think asap! 

I almost exclusively listen to bass heavy music, haha, so yes for sure!
Although I have to admit... my Monk+ vs OG Monk test was actually done on a PS Vita... so nothing bassy at all. Just video games.
I'll post 400ohm thoughts soon as I get a little listening in, especially bass related ( I am a card-holding basshead after all! )

I usually don't believe in burn in but all these new earbuds that have notable differences after some arbitrary double digit amount of hours.... I'll give them a day to "burn in" before commenting on them, and note if they've changed in that time or not,

So all of you Zen 2.0 lovers, tell me which one did you get?
Normal, Balanced, Cardas Cable Version?

I forgot i didn't answer this. Normal, I don't have any balanced amps. One day i will get the Cardas Black version though, maybe in a few years.

May 12, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #4,581 of 75,279

So do you still EQ Cygnus? Why and how?

Yes, still EQing the Cygnus. But I'm finding everyday, I feel a need to readjust the EQ closer and closer to a flat frequency as they are burning in.
I started with an EQ all over the place, reducing quite a few db between 2Khz  and 7Khz to tame the sibilance produced by the voices. I also added a lot of bass to compensate from the poor fit I had at first (they are very comfy but wouldn't stay pressed against my ears, consequently producing lighter bass than what they can really do when properly positioned)

They have about 40 hrs of burn in by now (still young). 
About the fit, I found that using a very thin foam tames the highs a tiny bit while adding earhoox helps me keep them in place... and last but not least, adding a Hiegi thick foam donut on top of those two adds a little bass and comfort/stability to each earbud. 

Cygnus are my first serious earbuds (had earpods, Hisoundaudio, and B&O A8 before) and since I have not heard any of the other big boys, I must say, Cygnus sound as good as I thought possible for earbuds already, given some patience and little tweaks here and there. 

just noticed I have the earhoox mounted backward!

May 12, 2016 at 5:43 PM Post #4,582 of 75,279
Teaser picture feat. Xduoo X3 :wink:

So far they are very favorable and seems as though it has a shot to hang with the Big Boys.

Yes I'm using a 400 ohm out of the headphone jack, the X3 has a nice strong amp, but the tube amp is just warming up :wink:

May 12, 2016 at 5:55 PM Post #4,583 of 75,279
I use ordinary Zen2.0 foamless with rubber rings and Shozy Cygnus with rubber rings with Monk Plus foams. Good.
13179280_1054565097971302_6100886453835470406_n.jpg
12771932_1008777132550099_4672333769535606293_o.jpg

May 12, 2016 at 11:55 PM Post #4,584 of 75,279
SeaHf 400ohm sounds kind of similar to in between Cygnus and OG Monks. if I have to compare to any other earbud I know. I am very much reminded of the Aurisonics 2.0 while using these actually.

much more V shaped than Zen 2.0... actually kind of similar to the Mojito but I don't have it any more so I have to go on memory.

When amped, it has slightly better bass than Zen. Just slightly. i think it can hit just a bit lower than the Zen can. On bass heavy tracks it has a bit more sub bass. However Zen has a much stronger mid bass, whereas the midrange sound scooped out on the SeaHf by comparison.

SeaHf 400ohm has great sub bass response, probably the best I've heard in an earbud, but I still prefer the Zen 2.0's sound personally. These are good but they are a bit too "V" shaped for me, at least too much for me to prefer them to the Zen. The overall sound is not as smooth as the Cygnus, the SeaHf is more raw sounding. Some may find it to have a slightly aggressive sound signature. the treble is not sibilant for how "V" shaped the signature is.

The cable is nowhere near as nice as the Cygnus cable.. actually I probably would have said this cable was pretty good if I never knew the Cygnus cable :wink:

The housing isn't too impressive, same as the Monk, but white. They aren't too exciting looking.

I will probably keep them. They won't be my main earbud and I definitely don't consider it to be even in the same league as the Zen 2.0 personally but I think it's a very worthy competitor to other sub-$100 earbuds. Of course an amp is highly recommended even though my Xduoo X3 was able to drive them, I had to turn volume to 80 where I usually use 50-55.

IF you use an amp I might recommend them over a Cygnus unless you don't like the idea of a "V" signature or you prefer smoothness to the extra bass punch. Also if you listen to a lot of vocal stuff you'll prefer a different earbud, vocals aren't the SeaHf's specialty at all.

May 13, 2016 at 12:30 AM Post #4,586 of 75,279
I've  been curious about the KC08 sound and I'd love to try the 320ohm SeaHf for comparison, but I'm not made of money
frown.gif

If anyone wants to hook me up with a set to review and compare to the rest....
wink.gif

I thought the KC08 was relatively bass light and I only keep things with heavy bass impact and refinement. I could be very wrong. I have kind of overlooked the KC08 and it never interested me.

May 13, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #4,589 of 75,279
  I've  been curious about the KC08 sound and I'd love to try the 320ohm SeaHf for comparison, but I'm not made of money
frown.gif

If anyone wants to hook me up with a set to review and compare to the rest....
wink.gif

I thought the KC08 was relatively bass light and I only keep things with heavy bass impact and refinement. I could be very wrong. I have kind of overlooked the KC08 and it never interested me.

KC08 has very bad mids, i never use KC08, but it has best Bass and treble , but no mids :frowning2: i had used kc08 only 3/4 times max in last 2 months.

May 13, 2016 at 2:57 AM Post #4,590 of 75,279
For the people who owns the mojito, could you compare the size and fit to more common earbuds(monks, Cygnus,..)? I'm a bit concerned as I have rather small ears. Thanks
biggrin.gif

It's bigger. Imagine monk + rubber foam + foams.

KC08 has very bad mids, i never use KC08, but it has best Bass and treble , but no mids :frowning2: i had used kc08 only 3/4 times max in last 2 months.

Hmm, honestly sounds kinda similar to the SeaHf.... no mids. Great bass, nice treble, overall good sound, but not much in the way of mids. That said, the SeaHf sound awful similar to my Yamaha HS8 monitors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back