Earbuds Round-Up
Apr 13, 2016 at 3:46 AM Post #3,886 of 75,324

My tomahawk just reached my local post office, i will get it today, i will tell you the difference between Tomahawk and Ting later of today :)

Let me know how you think about it vs. Cygnus as well! We have a lot of the same gear I just noticed
biggrin.gif

I'll have Zen 2.0 any day. Wish I had bought it sooner though!

Ohk done with early impression.

The tomahawk sound is a bit colored, having a boost in low & high freq.
Other hand Ting is neutral but more refined and also mid centric, that's why i feel it's more musical and the bass is more in tomahawk.

In short, there is slight difference. Thanks to Mojo, because of it's 2 headphone out, i was able to compare easily & quickly on my office desk :D
On physical side, ting is smaller than tomahawk, the earbuds.

Little more update, i feel Tomahawk a bit bigger to my ears :frowning2: can't wear for longer duration where as Ting sits nicely.
And bass in Ting is more refined and tight :)

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:14 AM Post #3,887 of 75,324
  So, another day, another bud arrives........from THAILAND!
My Black Bud Supreme from Good Sound Gadget finally arrive, after placing an order on April the 4th.

First impression, the bud came with a ton of foams, 10 pairs to be precise, from doughnuts to full foams.....(though admittedly, I ripped through a pair of red full foams when I tried to changed them) Build quality is excellent, the cable may be one of the thickest in my collection yet (non-braided). It is thicker than even the cable of Hifiman ES100 or Earbud Thailand's BOE! (Btw, I got the V-Monk cables) The buds feel indestructible.

So here is my current set up, RB Xduoo X3 ===> DIY Cable ===> Trasam HA2 Extreme Edition.

Initial impressions:

The mids reminded me of my Cygnus.....yeah...no kidding, but is it as good as the Cygnus, not quite but close I guess. 

The highs on the buds! Oh my god! They just sparkle. Though maybe due to insufficient burn-in they borderline being sibilant. Still, the highs........oh so glorious. Strings sounds so good on them.

Soundstaging is also very good, wider than the Tomahawks, but not deeper than the Cygnus.

Bass is good, but not abundant. It is there when you need it and do not bleed into the mids. It is what I would describe it to be "tight" and "quick"

I think I just have found another bud which I consider to be Jack of all trade, but this time, I would call the Supreme master of "bright" I guess.

Thank-you 

*Kindly note that these are my own personal impression after having receive and listening to the bud with ZERO burn in! My usage of vocabulary may also lead to some confusion as they reflect my own personal preference and limited ability to describe how they sound.

*Kindly take my impressions with a grain of salt and as always, YMMW

Link to GSG on FB
https://www.facebook.com/GoodSoundGG/timeline

For inquiries, kindly fb message or email them.

Holy crap, switched to doughnut foams, to me the soundstage of these just opened up! 
I rate the soundstage only belowe the DIY Dual Drivers.

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3,888 of 75,324
Cygnus bass is so good! I love it! Even if Zen 2.0 has better bass, I'll still love to use these often.

Don't even need to fiddle with the fit to get great refined sub bass. Amazing and impressive for an earbud.

I doubted the 15Hz claim on item description heavily but I am happily proven wrong.

Only earbud I know that can out-bass it is MC5 but I don't think it's as refined and clear and Cygnus does it.

G1217 Project Starlight w/ 6N6P -> cygnus (thin full foams)

Apr 13, 2016 at 4:59 AM Post #3,889 of 75,324
  Well I have VE Monk, VE Asura 2.0, AKG Y16, E100, MrZ Tomahawks
Took me some time to get away from the AKG sound signature, Monk sounded worse at first, but way better later..The E100 don't fit my ear, Tomahwaks are too airy for me (and slightly too big as well). 
Currently listening (and gaming) with Asura 2.0 :)

ES100 need 200hours burn in minimum according to Fang Bian, Monk a minimum of 300hours acc. to Wild Lee. You can´t really compare them if you don´t give them the time to settle.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #3,892 of 75,324
Has anyone heard these?

DIY Handmade PHEB01 24ohm Hi-Fi DDM Dual Diaphragm Matrix Dynamic Audiophile Earphone Earbuds
http://s.aliexpress.com/mAzYzaaq
(from AliExpress Android)

I have ordered this from Penonaudio.
I only asked him to list this product, cause it was available only on taobao.

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:51 AM Post #3,895 of 75,324
  I hear a lot of newer guys like you say stuff like this, but always like to remind everyone, one doesn't need experience to be able to have their own opinion. Everyone here has a different opinion and personal taste, so everything anyone says here is totally subjective and opinion and equally valid whether they've been here 15 years or 1 day IMO

That's really true... It's nice to see that someone says XXX bud has perfect bass and others say that XXX bud lacks bass, the same with treble, soundstage...

Everybody has his own tastes and although it's very helpfull to read other opinions, at the end of the day your ears will tell what is good or wrong for you
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 13, 2016 at 5:59 AM Post #3,896 of 75,324
Apr 13, 2016 at 8:12 AM Post #3,898 of 75,324
Has anyone heard these?

DIY Handmade PHEB01 24ohm Hi-Fi DDM Dual Diaphragm Matrix Dynamic Audiophile Earphone Earbuds
http://s.aliexpress.com/mAzYzaaq
(from AliExpress Android)

it is number 2 on ClieOS's "the great" category..

This PowerBeats DIY?
湖西 小筑 DIY Dual Driver

Yes sir from Taobao :)

Whoa so these are the Taobao dual driver? Would never thought about that since the name in the first post is in chinese LOL

From the looks of it, yes they are the DDM Power Beats Dual Drivers. However, it seems like it only comes with the "standard" cable option. 

Here is the link for them on Taobao, so maybe you can cross check. But on my initial examinations, looks like they are the same.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.qWa4eI&id=37119460429&_u=d2i926djaf6b

Apr 13, 2016 at 9:05 AM Post #3,899 of 75,324
From the looks of it, yes they are the DDM Power Beats Dual Drivers. However, it seems like it only comes with the "standard" cable option. 

Here is the link for them on Taobao, so maybe you can cross check. But on my initial examinations, looks like they are the same.
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z09.2.0.0.qWa4eI&id=37119460429&_u=d2i926djaf6b

I've ever tried it. Some say it's powerbeats gen 2 or 3 (i forgot).
Sound similar like old powerbeats (copper twisted). High is not too extend, smaller soundstage (not to far). Still lack of bass, but very good clarity

Apr 13, 2016 at 11:36 AM Post #3,900 of 75,324
Are not the PK1 are Underrated here? from my region, pk1 with the right amp, they are on par or better than mx985.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back