Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 18, 2016 at 3:57 PM Post #3,050 of 75,343
I hope the Cygnus cable doesn't harden. We should all know that copper is going to turn green and is still doing so even if we can't see it behind black sheathing.
wink_face.gif

Back to more on the Dark Horse E4. Even w/o foams today they were not bad outside on a very windy day. With foam they should do well to seal a bit more of the sound in. Cable is great. Not much noise, lays well, and is supple but doesn't seem to bounce around. Temps are going to freezing over the weekend so I'll test the sheathing out.

Had a quick A/B test vs. the Monk. Tone is more accurate on voice, guitar, piano(everything) on the DH. Extension is better than the Monk. Bass is quicker and tighter and only slightly less than the Monk even with foams on. Bass decay is slower and bloat is heard but to be fair I need to take the foams off of the Monk(difference will be less but Monk will still lose). So, it is a bit closer but DH still wins. Separation and positioning is much better one the DH and it can 3D render better including front to back blending and it makes it even more cohesive and quite fun. DH is voiced pretty similar to the Monk but the Monk is slower and a bit tired sounding in comparison and positions a bit less speaker like. They are both pretty similar with regards to sound balance. DH sounds similar to the Monk, more than the Zen 2.0 did since the DH has more treble and the mid, bass, and treble amounts are nearly the same just better on the DH than on the Monk.

Need to do more burn-in and testing but the DH should at least fall in between the Monk and Tomahawk(Which I haven't heard). With the right fit they may just match the Tomahawk. I push them in exactly right and they sound quite lovely. Had the Tomahawk in the cart first but switched and ordered the DH instead. Not regretting it so far. Cable is smooth, more plastic-like and glides over stuff unlike the reports of the Tomahawk cable. Pretty sure the Tomahawk would do better for fit though which is a pretty big deal.

As for my fit with the DH,  I am going to sacrifice some ear guides to make caps to snap onto and build up the stems and make the fit better.

Mar 19, 2016 at 3:55 AM Post #3,051 of 75,343
no activity ?

by da way in last 1 day, i came to conclusion that cygnus > ting in all aspects...

Mar 19, 2016 at 5:25 AM Post #3,055 of 75,343
Where are all the review of them new buds hahahaha. Jokes aside, reviewers, I am very much looking forward to reviews....oh and comparisons of the recent ear buds mentioned here.

Tings, Cygnus, Dark Horse....................... etc

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:47 AM Post #3,058 of 75,343
tomahawks on sale ? how much is it compare to the normal price ?

also I remember someone posted two links to a Chinese hi-fi site? anyone remember those? I'm looking for a Chinese head-fi for my dad as he only can read Chinese.....

also I don't know if it's allowed to ask, sorry if itsnt and mod can delete. Does anyone know a good site on Chinese that I can get Chinese music in flac ? looking for my dad

Mar 19, 2016 at 6:55 AM Post #3,059 of 75,343
Great to know cygnus is better than Ting. Now it would be great comparing between Cygnus and Tomahawk.. :sunglasses:

I haven't heard any of them, but Ting seems to be more neutral and sometimes neutral can be less "fun" than a sound signature with more bass & treble (v shaped) or warmer mids. I seldom choose my Celsus Gramo One since they are a bit too neutral for their own good. But I wouldn't say that they are worse than more fun sounding earbuds. They work well for critical listening in a quiet environment since they are very detailed. Tomahawk or better/more expensive earbuds with a more engaging sound work in just about any situation...

Mar 19, 2016 at 7:03 AM Post #3,060 of 75,343
I haven't heard any of them, but Ting seems to be more neutral and sometimes neutral can be less "fun" than a sound signature with more bass & treble (v shaped) or warmer mids. I seldom choose my Celsus Gramo One since they are a bit too neutral for their own good. But I wouldn't say that they are worse than more fun sounding earbuds. They work well for critical listening in a quiet environment since they are very detailed. Tomahawk or better/more expensive earbuds with a more engaging sound work in just about any situation...

true on this. i was looking to buy the Ting. but a lot of people are saying that they are probably better in technicalities and tuned to be mo neutral - reference like. which discourage me from getting them and chose tomahawk instead. for me musicality and "fun" factors are more important since too neutral and clean will tire me for prolonged listening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back