Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 18, 2016 at 4:41 AM Post #3,002 of 75,383

You should try to find a second hand pair of Zen 1.0 as well. And you can't stop buying earbuds! What about Shozy Cygnus? Music Maker Ting? Music Maker MrZ Tomahawk? Ostry KC08? Dunu Alpha 1?

Ok. Too much to buy!
Which one of those is "better" than the Asura 2.0? You guys make me wanna buy so many things...

One thing I've noticed: The Music Maker buds seem to be huge. The Asura 2.0 + foams are slightly too large already for my ears. Monks + foams fit perfectly. Which of those are similar to the Monk?

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:11 AM Post #3,003 of 75,383
  Ok. Too much to buy!
Which one of those is "better" than the Asura 2.0? You guys make me wanna buy so many things...

One thing I've noticed: The Music Maker buds seem to be huge. The Asura 2.0 + foams are slightly too large already for my ears. Monks + foams fit perfectly. Which of those are similar to the Monk?

Well, at least the earbud world is a lot smaller than the IEM one. And you could buy all the high end earbuds, including Celsus Gramo One ($249) and Rose Mojito (around $230 from Aliexpress) for less than one high end custom IEM (example here).

I cannot comment on Ting, but Tomahawk has got better fit in my ears than VE & Blox earbuds. The Music Maker buds are not much bigger than those. Perhaps they are about the same size? But the design of the housing is better for at least my ears.

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:19 AM Post #3,004 of 75,383

You should try to find a second hand pair of Zen 1.0 as well. And you can't stop buying earbuds! What about Shozy Cygnus? Music Maker Ting? Music Maker MrZ Tomahawk? Ostry KC08? Dunu Alpha 1?

I will try to find a pair of Zen 1.0 after awhile. I've heard they are good too just different than 2.0. I thought that it was generally acknowledged that the Zen 2.0 and MX985 (top spot in ClieOS's rankings) were pretty much the best of the entire earbud world. I know that at the top it's "just taste" but the MX985 and the Zen 2.0 really do seem to my ears to be objectively better in bass, detail, and soundstage than all other earbuds I've heard. If you think any of the ones you named are equals to the Zen 2.0 or MX985 I'll give those a fair chance and order a pair of them as well. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:34 AM Post #3,005 of 75,383
  I will try to find a pair of Zen 1.0 after awhile. I've heard they are good too just different than 2.0. I thought that it was generally acknowledged that the Zen 2.0 and MX985 (top spot in ClieOS's rankings) were pretty much the best of the entire earbud world. I know that at the top it's "just taste" but the MX985 and the Zen 2.0 really do seem to my ears to be objectively better in bass, detail, and soundstage than all other earbuds I've heard. If you think any of the ones you named are equals to the Zen 2.0 or MX985 I'll give those a fair chance and order a pair of them as well. 

Tomahawk is a step down from MX980 ( haven't heard MX985 but they should be close or even identical to MX980). But it definitely is a top end earbud if you go by sound. Detail, soundstage, instrument separation etc is very very good.

I traded my Zen 2.0 for a pair of Zen 1.0. I understand that Zen 2.0 technically is great, but for me highs sounded subdued, no matter what sources I used. I did try to EQ high frequencies +10dB and then it sounded more balanced.
Perhaps the subdued highs have got something to do with inadequate burn in? Well well, I loved Zen 1.0 from the first second I heard it. Now it's no 4 on my top 5 (Blox TM7 as no1, Sony MDR-E252 as no 2, Sennheiser MX980 as no 3 and Tomahawk as no 5. Well, I have to compare Tomahawk to my old Sony E282 & E484...)

At least Shozy Cygnus seems to be very good, especially for the price. Tomahawk is a definite recommendation. Tomahawks big brother Ting seems to be very good but much more neutral than Tomahawk.
I'll get 'em all even if it takes some time and then sell the ones that do not suit my tastes...

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:38 AM Post #3,006 of 75,383
i wanna trade my zen 2 for Zen 1, any1 intersted ?

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:40 AM Post #3,007 of 75,383

Tomahawk is a step down from MX980 ( haven't heard MX985 but they should be close or even identical to MX980). But it definitely is a top end earbud if you go by sound. Detail, soundstage, instrument separation etc is very very good.

I traded my Zen 2.0 for a pair of Zen 1.0. I understand that Zen 2.0 technically is great, but for me highs sounded subdued, no matter what sources I used. I did try to EQ high frequencies +10dB and then it sounded more balanced.
Perhaps the subdued highs have got something to do with inadequate burn in? Well well, I loved Zen 1.0 from the first second I heard it. Now it's no 4 on my top 5 (Blox TM7 as no1, Sony MDR-E252 as no 2, Sennheiser MX980 as no 3 and Tomahawk as no 5. Well, I have to compare Tomahawk to my old Sony E282 & E484...)

At least Shozy Cygnus seems to be very good, especially for the price. Tomahawk is a definite recommendation. Tomahawks big brother Ting seems to be very good but much more neutral than Tomahawk.
I'll get 'em all even if it takes some time and then sell the ones that do not suit my tastes...

how about Black Onyx Earbuds ? 

I owned Zen 1 and tomahawk. haven't heard the mx985/980. 

Zen 1 is very good (mine still relatively new around 70ish hour of usage), tomahawk is brand new. the Black Onyx has the most play time. 

i don't know but for me even between zen 1 and BOE is a very though choice. its about the presentation of zen 1 is bothering me slightly. I definetly love them without foam. hands down the best. but the bass is lacking without foam. tried the donut foam, its good, but i feel that somehow they could be better somehow..

probably just new toy syndrome but i love the tomahawk. that mids..

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:48 AM Post #3,008 of 75,383

I owned Zen 1 and tomahawk. haven't heard the mx985/980. 

Zen 1 is very good (mine still relatively new around 70ish hour of usage), tomahawk is brand new. the Black Onyx has the most play time. 

i don't know but for me even between zen 1 and BOE is a very though choice. its about the presentation of zen 1 is bothering me slightly. I definetly love them without foam. hands down the best. but the bass is lacking without foam. tried the donut foam, its good, but i feel that somehow they could be better somehow..

Haven't heard Black Onyx, but BloodyPenguin seems to like them a lot.

I suppose you could say that I had some problems with the presentation of Zen 2.0, but I don't have any with Zen 1.0. They remind me of Monk, but a sort of perfected version of the Monks. Bass isn't as heavy as on Zen 2.0, but it's very detailed and well textured. With some slight EQing you get more weight in the lower end. For me they work well with full foams.

And yeah, mids are nice on Tomahawk and there's nothing bad I can say about them. :)

i wanna trade my zen 2 for Zen 1, any1 intersted ?

You could always start a trade listing in the sales forum.

Mar 18, 2016 at 5:53 AM Post #3,009 of 75,383

I suppose you could say that I had some problems with the presentation of Zen 2.0, but I don't have any with Zen 1.0. They remind me of Monk, but a sort of perfected version of the Monks. Bass isn't as heavy as on Zen 2.0, but it's very detailed and well textured. With some slight EQing you get more weight in the lower end. For me they work well with full foams.

And yeah, mids are nice on Tomahawk and there's nothing bad I can say about them. :)

You could always start trade listing in the sales forum.

I just loved the BOE in general. the way they presenting the music suits my taste very well. Zen 1.0 without foam exceeds even this. Honestly Zen 1.0 foamless sounds heavenly. its just the bass is lacking. :frowning2:. I'm looking for thinner donut foam that covers only small parts of the bud's face. i think it could fix this. just haven't found the suitable foam yet.

i feel like the tomahawk is right in between zen 1.0 (with foam) and onyx. i think that's why i love em so much even out of the box. 

Mar 18, 2016 at 6:53 AM Post #3,010 of 75,383

You could always start trade listing in the sales forum.

I just loved the BOE in general. the way they presenting the music suits my taste very well. Zen 1.0 without foam exceeds even this. Honestly Zen 1.0 foamless sounds heavenly. its just the bass is lacking. :frowning2:. I'm looking for thinner donut foam that covers only small parts of the bud's face. i think it could fix this. just haven't found the suitable foam yet.

i feel like the tomahawk is right in between zen 1.0 (with foam) and onyx. i think that's why i love em so much even out of the box. 

You guys are making me curious about the zen 1

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:22 AM Post #3,011 of 75,383

Quote:

Yes, I really like the BOE:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/earbud-thailand-black-onyx-earbud-boe/reviews/14988

Though they are out of stock and will not sell that model again.  They are working on something better now.

The Tomahawk has the best mids I have ever heard in an earbud.

--

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:23 AM Post #3,012 of 75,383

Yes, I really like the BOE:  http://www.head-fi.org/products/earbud-thailand-black-onyx-earbud-boe/reviews/14988

Though they are out of stock and will not sell that model again.  They are working on something better now.

The Tomahawk has the best mids I have ever heard in an earbud.

--

Do you have asura 2.0?

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:34 AM Post #3,014 of 75,383

Well, at least the earbud world is a lot smaller than the IEM one. And you could buy all the high end earbuds, including Celsus Gramo One ($249) and Rose Mojito (around $230 from Aliexpress) for less than one high end custom IEM (example here).

I cannot comment on Ting, but Tomahawk has got better fit in my ears than VE & Blox earbuds. The Music Maker buds are not much bigger than those. Perhaps they are about the same size? But the design of the housing is better for at least my ears.

That is a bit too much for my taste.

Everything under 100$ is okay for me (although I feel that price is still "huge").

Now I'm torn between Cygnus, Tomahawk and the Ting. Damn... 

Mar 18, 2016 at 9:43 AM Post #3,015 of 75,383
  That is a bit too much for my taste.

Everything under 100$ is okay for me (although I feel that price is still "huge").

Now I'm torn between Cygnus, Tomahawk and the Ting. Damn... 

I thought like that once. Then I got into vintage Sony and Aiwa earbuds and then all budget restraints flew out the window. Now I don't have as much to spend because of having a kid, and the two Aiwa earbuds I need to complete my collection, V99 & V9, are the two most expensive. You can expect to pay more than $400 for a pair of V99 in good condition and $600-800 for a pair of V9 in good condition. These old buds sound stellar and can even beat most of the best ones today. But you are mainly paying for collectors items...

About Cygnus, Tomahawk and Ting: how about one a month for the next three months?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back