Earbuds Round-Up
Mar 5, 2016 at 10:50 AM Post #2,612 of 75,861
Haha I love you and this thread guys. :grin:

Mar 5, 2016 at 11:41 AM Post #2,613 of 75,861
I order them earlier along with a Dark Horse ES-E4. Ordered with EMS as well so they should be here soon enough
bigsmile_face.gif

Easy stocks good stuff so worth a try at $11-ish.

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:15 PM Post #2,615 of 75,861
http://s.aliexpress.com/ZBN7V3uE

It really works, I recommend. It changes the sound of any earbuds. I like :sunglasses:

It sounds like snake oil, but it's not too expensive for 3 plugs. So I might test it. But then you don't really need to buy new earbuds, just use these to change the sound... :rolleyes:

Mar 5, 2016 at 2:46 PM Post #2,617 of 75,861
Not really too much snake oil. I can hook up my Ety P-to S and it will reduce bass and tend to flatten the F.R. of certain phones to a certain degree like the A is supposed to. Assuming we have the same sort of thing here perhaps for all three ways; treble reduction, bass reduction, and both I guess. It does have that line about 8-40 Ohm headphones seeing impedance difference. Though not sure about the soundstage expansion esp. when you reduce bass and treble to bring vocals up. Only thing there might be extra separation of the channels to work the stage there and not on the other two. Or something like that which makes it sound analytical not really increasing resolution but allowing you to maybe hear things easier than before.  Easier to pick out with spacing things. 

Fun to try. Not gonna expect that much. I was gonna buy an lower value impedance adapter than the Ety I have and I think one is in there for about the same price plus two more cables thrown in is a good deal.

Mar 5, 2016 at 3:07 PM Post #2,619 of 75,861
I didn't look through the ad carefully before writing my post. At first I thought it was just a silver plated cable adapter, and I was really doubtful that sound will improve if you plug in a plug with a short silver plated cable.

But it probably works like an impedance adapter. For such a low price it's worth trying if you are curious...

Mar 5, 2016 at 10:09 PM Post #2,620 of 75,861
By analogy, it is like adding seasoning or spices to your favorite dish to achieve a better synergy with different DAPs and etc..
ABC is BGVP years of research experience in the electro-acoustic tuning product design, install it with a headset attachment between the tront end, directly on the headset, the headset inherent change and improve sound quality It can not only change the high, medium and low volume, you can adjust the sound tieid, resolution, and other voice characteristics. The effect is obvious accuracy, high reliability, ease of operation. ABC line can be freely combined, make a pair of headphones to have at least eight different sound effects. Respond to various types of music

Mar 6, 2016 at 8:37 AM Post #2,621 of 75,861
My brief impression of the 西湖DIY Dual Drivers:

1. They sound very much like / close to my Hifiman RE400
2. Sound-stage is extremely wide, wider than my Seahf 320Ohms and ATH EW-9 (Both which I consider wide sounding)
3. They sound very "lean and dry", like drinking dry white wine
4. Mids, to my ears at leasts, sounds a bit recessed. Just a weeeeeeeeee bit
5. Bass is very very lean. 
6. Detail is on-par or even above the Hifiman RE400. No, they are definitely above.
7. They work oh so well for orchestral pieces, close your eyes and you will feel like you are sitting in the front 3rd or 4th roll of the concert.
8. They sound meh......for modern music. 
9. Cymbals, snares, guitar strings...sound oh so damn good.
10. For Jazz vocal, (i.e. Shigeko Suzuki) sounds very good, the subtle details in music can be heard, however, the 'warm" feeling I get from listening to Jazz Vocals is lost. The buds managed to turn the whole song "cold" or less intimidate.

@ClieOS, does your pair sound like mine? 

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:16 AM Post #2,622 of 75,861
  My brief impression of the 西湖DIY Dual Drivers:

1. They sound very much like / close to my Hifiman RE400
2. Sound-stage is extremely wide, wider than my Seahf 320Ohms and ATH EW-9 (Both which I consider wide sounding)
3. They sound very "lean and dry", like drinking dry white wine
4. Mids, to my ears at leasts, sounds a bit recessed. Just a weeeeeeeeee bit
5. Bass is very very lean. 
6. Detail is on-par or even above the Hifiman RE400. No, they are definitely above.
7. They work oh so well for orchestral pieces, close your eyes and you will feel like you are sitting in the front 3rd or 4th roll of the concert.
8. They sound meh......for modern music. 
9. Cymbals, snares, guitar strings...sound oh so damn good.
10. For Jazz vocal, (i.e. Shigeko Suzuki) sounds very good, the subtle details in music can be heard, however, the 'warm" feeling I get from listening to Jazz Vocals is lost. The buds managed to turn the whole song "cold" or less intimidate.

@ClieOS, does your pair sound like mine? 

I don't compare IEM to earbuds but otherwise I think you description is pretty close to to  mine. You might want to play with the foam pad to get better fit and bass might come out just a little more. I use mine with donut.

Mar 6, 2016 at 10:26 AM Post #2,623 of 75,861

I don't compare IEM to earbuds but otherwise I think you description is pretty close to to  mine. You might want to play with the foam pad to get better fit and bass might come out just a little more. I use mine with donut.

Thanks for the reply mate! I will wait for my Hiegi doughnuts to arrive from taobao and give them a try. I currently use mine naked.  

Mar 6, 2016 at 2:25 PM Post #2,624 of 75,861
Dear ClieOS,

thanks for your reviews and overview, have used it in the past many times! :)

Wanted to ask, if you had the chance to listen to the VE Monk earbuds and if yes, where would you place them in your listing?

Haven't read many pages, so if the question has already been asked, sorry for that! :)

Thanks and greetings 
happy_face1.gif

Mar 6, 2016 at 3:34 PM Post #2,625 of 75,861
Just dropping this here to remind everyone what branding does. Did I mention I don't even use a case for the E100's? I sleep on them, stuff them in a side pocket, toss them in wooden boxes... Bose IE2's? I keep the IE2's in the case they came with, use them strictly for running and pretty much had to repair them 3 times because of terrible strain relief! Then one day I pulled them out of my phone and had to use super glue and a Q-Tip to remove the jack tip that was stuck inside my phone!

It sounds like snake oil, but it's not too expensive for 3 plugs. So I might test it. But then you don't really need to buy new earbuds, just use these to change the sound... 
rolleyes.gif
It's still going to go through a copper cable after. I had silver cables before, and if I recall it sounds more like conductivity. On the Etymotic ER4, less resistance in the cable meant a brighter signature that equated to an ER4PT, more resistance meant more bass quantity, turning it into an ER4S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back