Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 24, 2015 at 8:10 AM Post #1,727 of 75,295
  So here's a question, guys.  Does Tyll from Innerfidelity not know how to properly set up his rig to measure earbus?  Because his earbuds measurements always seem to end up looking like this:

http://www.innerfidelity.com/images/YuinPK1.pdf

Holy crap.  LOOK AT THAT DISTORTION.  Look at that COMPLETE LACK OF BASS.  I find it impossible to believe that a product costing over 100 dollars, which people seem to love a great deal, measures that damn badly, because with measuremetns like that it couldn't possibly sound good.

Thoughts, anyone?  Does Tyll just not like earbuds much and so he doesn't bother setting up the measuring rig well for them, or something?

They're ear buds, and lack any kind of good seal.  Ear buds are the worst of all types of headphone because of it. The PK1 actually measures pretty well compared to other ear buds. 

Nov 24, 2015 at 9:35 AM Post #1,728 of 75,295

They're ear buds, and lack any kind of good seal.  Ear buds are the worst of all types of headphone because of it. The PK1 actually measures pretty well compared to other ear buds. 

I don't hear levels of distortion THAT high from earbuds though, man :-/

Nov 24, 2015 at 11:15 AM Post #1,730 of 75,295
BTW on a serious note (OK not very) I find a difference between the VE Monk and AKG K317 in that I prefer the former with as tight a seal as possible in my ears. I see the latter doesn't have any holes on the rear of the housing and does sound congested to me when fitting very tightly.

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:01 PM Post #1,731 of 75,295
  Don't worry about it. Some mammals remember when wow, flutter and rumble measurements were the only available criteria for judging a turntable.

LMAO I am not an elephant-seal, dude :p

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:15 PM Post #1,732 of 75,295
  BTW on a serious note (OK not very) I find a difference between the VE Monk and AKG K317 in that I prefer the former with as tight a seal as possible in my ears. I see the latter doesn't have any holes on the rear of the housing and does sound congested to me when fitting very tightly.

You avatar... V7... good headphone!

Nov 24, 2015 at 2:19 PM Post #1,733 of 75,295

Hi Tyll, thanks for dropping by. I think that you would love the VE Zens (regardless of how they measure). Hopefully you get a chance to hear them some day.

Nov 24, 2015 at 6:12 PM Post #1,734 of 75,295

LMAO I am not an elephant-seal, dude :p

Sorry, no offence intended; it wasn't meant to be a picture of you.
My understanding is that your all-consuming issue is lack of seal rather than being one. Maybe it was unconscious tact at work which prevented me from posting these links to pictures of Monk Seals :
http://www.hawaiipictureoftheday.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/hawaiian-monk-seal.jpg
https://www.nwf.org/~/media/Content/National%20Wildlife%20Magazine%20Layouts/2013/monk-seals-DJ13-1.ashx
Seriously, do hope you can find a satisfactory solution to your requirements.

Nov 24, 2015 at 7:00 PM Post #1,736 of 75,295

Hi Tyll, thanks for dropping by. I think that you would love the VE Zens (regardless of how they measure). Hopefully you get a chance to hear them some day.

I bet he'd even love the Monks, especially given the pricetag on them!  Despite how earbuds seem to measure with his rig, I do NOT hear such high levels of distortion in the bass from the Monks, ever, I mean really, 10% or higher THD+N at 100Hz???  That is NOT what I hear from the Monks.

Nov 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM Post #1,739 of 75,295
@golov17

I joined the BeB 328R Mass Drop :)  I'll let you know what I think of them once they get to me in mid-to-late December!

Thanks again for the recommendation!  I'm hoping they'll fit my ears better than the Monks do, and will sound better than the Monks too, as you seem to think they probably will in my case :-D  If not, it's no big deal, they were only 20 dollars and if I end up not liking them they could make a good gift to a friend for Christmas :p

Nov 27, 2015 at 10:43 PM Post #1,740 of 75,295
@golov17

I joined the BeB 328R Mass Drop :)  I'll let you know what I think of them once they get to me in mid-to-late December!

Thanks again for the recommendation!  I'm hoping they'll fit my ears better than the Monks do, and will sound better than the Monks too, as you seem to think they probably will in my case :-D  If not, it's no big deal, they were only 20 dollars and if I end up not liking them they could make a good gift to a friend for Christmas :p
OK, good luck :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back