Earbuds Round-Up
May 16, 2015 at 9:11 AM Post #916 of 75,289
So some of you members already helped me - wanting the Earbells even more, but I still dont know I "need" them (which is sort of a problem because I could use the money for books or so).

I have Sennheiser HD439, warm neutral sound. More warm than neutral, great for acoustic music while relaxing.
Havi B3: flat FR, I think theyre too great for acoustic music. Why would anyone not want a flat FR.
And a MP8320 for while on the streets. Neutral-bright sound, like it for symphonies etc.

Do the E100s add something to this list? I listen mainly classical, acoustic (Bob Dylan etc.) and well I like Pink Floyd too.

May 17, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #917 of 75,289
Hi All,

I've just received Sennheiser MX985. I was kind-of.. surprise when I open the package and listened to. Not that it was damaged nor sound bad or something like that.

But... It is not as I expected to be. As I am a very satisfied user of MX980, expecting this MX985 to be better in matter of packaging, built-quality and sound-quality.

1st, The packaging:

- It is a premium product. One of the best earbud packaging I've ever seen and experienced.... but compare to MX980, Still MX980 has the best one. (Sorry, forgot to take pictures or photos to compare both...)

- Same as MX980, both was given a leather-pouch, flight adapter, 2 pairs of foam (standard, non-donut foam), clips, manuals etc.

2nd, The build-quality:

This is the MX985, as you can see the driver-housing looks neat and glossy. Difference occur on the volume-adjuster and the jack.

Let's compare to what we have on MX980 below:

On MX985, the driver-housing looks matte and has the same size with MX985. While the volume-adjuster looks and feels smaller than MX985. And the jacks, eventhough MX985 has better-looks I still prefer the MX980, because it has better protection to the cable. While MX985, if you keep on changing the jack from L-shaped to straight-shaped, it will wear-off the cable. This is only my personal opinion. Some-user will find this a non-problem.

3rd, Sound quality:

Comparing both the MX980 and MX985 do not really have any significant improvement, but only the low section. MX985 seems to have better impact in this area. Overall, both are the same.

Conclusion:

Well, I'm a bit disappointed to find that MX985 have no significant improvement compare to its older-brother the MX980. I was hoping that MX985 is much better (comparing its premium-price to MX980). But, both are very-beautiful sounding earbud whether you will use it with portable amplifier or direct with no-amplifier. No doubt, ClieOS classified this MX985 in to the Champion earbud. 

What makes my day is, I am a proud owner of these great earbud from Sennheiser. I even contact and thanked their customer service by email to express my gratitude for their hard-work to create such a beutiful earbuds.

Thank you ClieOS for your amazing thread, now I am still searching for Blox TM7. I want to listen to it so bad ... LOL

May 18, 2015 at 1:26 AM Post #919 of 75,289
It's a pitty Sennheiser did not try make the earbud shell smaller... otherwise it would be game over. It's always been the downside of the MX980, fantastic sound, but just never quite fit well in your ear.

May 18, 2015 at 2:10 AM Post #920 of 75,289
So some of you members already helped me - wanting the Earbells even more, but I still dont know I "need" them (which is sort of a problem because I could use the money for books or so).

I have Sennheiser HD439, warm neutral sound. More warm than neutral, great for acoustic music while relaxing.
Havi B3: flat FR, I think theyre too great for acoustic music. Why would anyone not want a flat FR.
And a MP8320 for while on the streets. Neutral-bright sound, like it for symphonies etc.

Do the E100s add something to this list? I listen mainly classical, acoustic (Bob Dylan etc.) and well I like Pink Floyd too.

I love Dylan and he sound great through the E100s. But then so does anything I play. I have been listening to a lot of Radiohead recently, for example, and it's pretty mind-blowing how something as cheap as the Earbell can put a smile on my face like this.

May 18, 2015 at 3:02 AM Post #922 of 75,289
Does anyone know where I can get some rubber donut covers (not foam, but silicon) like the ones in this post on the Blox earbuds? I feel like they would improve the sound a ton. Especially the bass. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620467/blox-earbuds-discussion-tm7-m2c-anv3-be3-be5-be7/90#post_8642625

May 18, 2015 at 3:35 AM Post #923 of 75,289
Does anyone know where I can get some rubber donut covers (not foam, but silicon) like the ones in this post on the Blox earbuds? I feel like they would improve the sound a ton. Especially the bass. 

http://www.head-fi.org/t/620467/blox-earbuds-discussion-tm7-m2c-anv3-be3-be5-be7/90#post_8642625

Something like this?

-Rubber-ring-for-earbuds-15mm-16mm-MX980-MX985-OMX985-MX880.jpg_250x250.jpg

http://m.aliexpress.com/item/32324321353.html

May 18, 2015 at 6:51 AM Post #926 of 75,289
I'm really missing my Blox while they are off in Thailand being repaired. 

I went from 2 Blox, 2 Yuin, 1 Apple buds to nothing. Now my ears are hurting from wearing headphones and my ear canals are rebelling against my iems. I might just buy a cheap pair of Sony or Panasonic instore to tide me over. Note to self: remember your N+1 rule and always have a spare pair. 

May 18, 2015 at 7:47 AM Post #927 of 75,289
  I'm really missing my Blox while they are off in Thailand being repaired. 

I went from 2 Blox, 2 Yuin, 1 Apple buds to nothing. Now my ears are hurting from wearing headphones and my ear canals are rebelling against my iems. I might just buy a cheap pair of Sony or Panasonic instore to tide me over. Note to self: remember your N+1 rule and always have a spare pair. 

The N+1 rule is a good one! I must remember that myself.

May 18, 2015 at 8:54 AM Post #928 of 75,289
I received today Powerbeats 湖西小筑DIY with Taobao. Very disappointed. The seller sent the defective goods. Right earphone plays perfectly on the left there is without bass and the sound is bad, worse than on the right earpiece. The risk is not justified, beware of DIY products.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back