Earbuds Round-Up
Oct 6, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #11,491 of 75,293
  I'll get something written up.

I can't decide, VX pro or TY2
confused.gif

Get TY2 and let me borrow for a day or two... (You know I am just kidding...)

Oct 6, 2016 at 9:48 AM Post #11,492 of 75,293
Those who have Edimun V3 might have noticed that it comes with customized red foam with 4 smaller holes. That gives it more or less a donut foam quality (that won't over-dampen treble) but without the downside of a looser fit which tends to make dunut foam falls out easily. While donut foam can be a life saver for certain earbuds from time to time, it isn't particularly suitable for MX500 style front cover (VE's, BugGuy's, etc) as this kind of cover don't have any sound vents near the center, but located closer to the outer edge - so they still get somewhat over dampened even with donut foam. Inspired by the Edimun V3 foam pad, I did some modification of my own to create the multi-holes foam pad that will work better with MX500 style earbuds. The holes are located closer to the edge and thus will expose some sound vents for more treble. It also has the upside of getting a tighter fit than donut foam. I won't say it is the perfect solution for every earbuds, but it does work better than donut foam on many occasion.

Get yourself a leather belt hole puncher and punch the foam away - you won't actually punch a hole with the puncher, but it will leave a mark on the foam that you can tear away with your fingers easily. Push the foam slightly inward when punching and the hole will be closer to the edge - but don't get too close to the edge though, as you will want to leave around 3~4mm of space.

Three to four holes are usually easier to do and three is my usual choice. Here is how they look compared to the foam on Edimun V3 (*in red)

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:45 AM Post #11,496 of 75,293
In most cases, MP foams, give an advantage to the sound of many mx-housing earbuds, have you tried them?

Tried it and like it - but it can be a bit too thin for me from to time, and of course it is always good to have more option.

Oct 6, 2016 at 10:52 AM Post #11,497 of 75,293
  Those who have Edimun V3 might have noticed that it comes with customized red foam with 4 smaller holes. That gives it more or less a donut foam quality (that won't over-dampen treble) but without the downside of a looser fit which tends to make dunut foam falls out easily. While donut foam can be a life saver for certain earbuds from time to time, it isn't particularly suitable for MX500 style front cover (VE's, BugGuy's, etc) as this kind of cover don't have any sound vents near the center, but located closer to the outer edge - so they still get somewhat over dampened even with donut foam. Inspired by the Edimun V3 foam pad, I did some modification of my own to create the multi-holes foam pad that will work better with MX500 style earbuds. The holes are located closer to the edge and thus will expose some sound vents for more treble. It also has the upside of getting a tighter fit than donut foam. I won't say it is the perfect solution for every earbuds, but it does work better than donut foam on many occasion.

Get yourself a leather belt hole puncher and punch the foam away - you won't actually punch a hole with the puncher, but it will leave a mark on the foam that you can tear away with your fingers easily. Push the foam slightly inward when punching and the hole will be closer to the edge - but don't get too close to the edge though, as you will want to leave around 3~4mm of space.

Awesome tip! I already have one of those punches so I will give it a go.

In most cases, MP foams, give an advantage to the sound of many mx-housing earbuds, have you tried them?

Personally for me, the MP foams don't have the best fit and even after a decent amount of use they are still itchy in my ears.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:02 AM Post #11,498 of 75,293

@golov17
 That earbud looks like it glows in the dark...  does it...  does it glow?  Please say yes.

just bright colour :grinning:
13680192_1115880931839718_7397384753970834643_o.jpg

I have the newer version - Sennheiser MX 680 Adidas Sports. More of a bright yellow as opposed to lime green. I really like them for electronic music. With refurbs going for $10 on Ebay they're a solid deal. Very different sound than MP...

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:21 AM Post #11,501 of 75,293

I think you'll find I am biased, lol. When I joined this site over 10 years ago one of the first things I looked into was the high end Yuin earbuds.

Sometimes I miss the clarity of Stax but I feel the Mojito does a great job of revealing a  comparable level of detail.

Personally I don't like the sound of most over ear headphones. I also don't like IEMs much so my whole collection is earbuds plus two full size headphones, both JVC extreme basshead phones (SZ1000, SZ2000)

to me I have never heard things like HD800, LCD, etc but I have heard a number of very good Stax electrostatic setups... and in my opinion, a good earbud with nice clarity and a good amp and DAC driving it, will give almost as great a listening experience as a very good electrostatic... note I am not saying it is just as detailed, or just as refined - it isn't, unless you have a Mojito or something equally good, even the MX985 isn't fast enough to be counted IMO. The electrostatic sound is incredibly quick. Most earbuds are not that fast the Mojito being a notable exception.

The JVCs I have can not be beat for bass depth or impact, but they can not match the soundstage, clarity, or fine detailing of some of my better earbuds. I have had a lot of other over ears and on ears - dynamic, electrostatic, planar, and none of them really "did it" for me.

Anyway, I also like the convenience of earbuds, and I liked IEMs more than full size headphones for the more direct and focused sound, but like others have said, earbuds have better soundstage/airier sound than IEMs, and I don't like the isolation of IEMs either. so earbuds are really ideal for me...

The point of all this, I guess, is that it comes down to what is the ideal sound to you, and it may not be earbuds. Also, when you do find the "perfect" sound for you, it's easier to work backwards and find the cheaper gear that satisfies you most.

edit: Your Mojito thru the Mojo is probably the closest you'd get to the sound of something like a Stax 323s and Lambda setup you could possibly imagine without actually being electrostatic.

See this thread is interesting to me as a study in how different peoples preferences are. I love my earbuds for work and the gym where they are small, unobtrusive, and I don't really have to worry about them. I also spend most of my waking time tied to my desk in my office. But just last night I fired my main system up at home and listened to some stuff through my full sized headphones and there isn't even a comparison for me. My humble HE-400s destroy even my better buds by no small margin. Everything about them is better. Granted they are being fed through several hundred dollars of amp and DAC instead of just my Shanling M5, but it still isn't a small margin of victory.

Unlike others in this thread who seem happy looking for the perfect bud, for me earbuds will never be anything more than a bridge to listen to until I can get home to the real system. Just my two cents, but it shows how different people hear things.

Oct 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM Post #11,505 of 75,293

nah, thanks for the offer, but i think it will be too big for me if you say this!

so, i guess it's the Moondrop for me... :wink:

@vapman
If you do get the MoonDrop once burned in and ready could you compare to Mojito? People have  said it's a mini version and at it's price it could be a good bargain. My only listen to Mojito was in an Airport where I noticed someone with one and he had no idea what it was, it was a gift from coworkers.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back