Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 12:59 AM Post #73,321 of 75,673
In the meantime, I just got my Christmas Present from @FranQL today in the mail. I haven't had a ton of time on them yet (obviously) but I have to say that now having the full set of four buds, I need nothing else in the way of earbuds. These cover all the different sounds I might want to have, and whatever they don't the others I have fill those cracks.

These are simply high-end buds in every way. Along with his master class tuning, he has found the perfect combination of good quality drivers with the perfect shell for each model and the goal that was sought after. So, the list of unique and TOTL buds (though not exhaustive of all of his fantastic collection) are:
  • Aquila
  • Caelum
  • Draco
  • Blue Moon (Hydra was the original fourth, but was discontinued due to Fran not being completely satisfied with them)
If you are lucky enough to get your hands on any of these, you can trust me, for what their intention was in the sound, there are NO better (qualifier = that I have heard). There may/may not be better, but I am not willing to pay the exorbitant amount of money to experiment. In the simplest terms; these are end game buds, all four (IMHO).

Here are some photos of the latest (apologies for not being as good as others on here), Blue Moon and Draco:

20231221_111658.jpg
20231221_110823.jpg
20231221_111808.jpg
20231221_110854.jpg
20231221_111751.jpg
Can you compare your 600ohm wooden earbuds with Yinman 600

Dec 22, 2023 at 1:30 AM Post #73,322 of 75,673
AAAAh I see what you mean then. If it were me, I would just skip that store and go straight to CKLewis Audio. They not only have a 97.3% rating, but there are many on this thread (including me) that can vouch for their reputation. Plus, they are only $15 ATM through CKLewis, so the extra dollar you might pay is worth it to get after sales service (just in case) IMO.

Have you bought from the CK Lewis store recently?

A few months back, I ordered 2 earbuds from them, they gave me a fake tracking to somewhere in Russia (LOL not where I live), and marked the thing as delivered. So I PMed them to ask what was going on. I told them I was willing to continue the order if they had just informed me of a delay, no need to resort to fake trackers. And I asked for a new tracking or update. But they ignored me, with zero replies, very disappointed as I had previously bought from them with no issues.

Anyway, I took screen shots of the fake tracking etc and sent it to Aliexpress CS and thankfully they sided with me and refunded my purchases. The earbuds never arrived too. Since then, have been quite hesitant to buy anything from them.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 2:29 AM Post #73,323 of 75,673
20231222-152530.jpg

600ohm beryllium earbuds with a bespoke cable. I couldn't get Yinmans, so I opted for this instead. Despite its high resistance and low sensitivity, it sounds good even when connected directly to a phone. Granted, you have to crank the volume all the way up. When amplified sound quality improves in every category. The soundstage is great, the bass is deep, smooth yet detailed treble, timbre and separation are both really good.

I hope that I don't get shamed here with my music choices lol.

This song describes this hobby in the nutshell wwwwww.

Too bad I couldn't give it a proper listen right now because my tinnitus is flaring up.

I also gifted one to my friend, and this is what she said.
" it sounds so smooth?
Somehow even the sharp noises doesn't sound sharp???
Does it make sense?
Or I'm gaslighting myself?
It's so detailed.
It's what i've noticed immediately.
Like after listening to this earbuds I really noticed how other earbuds sound different.
Its really good.
I'm going to listen to it more.
It's really feels like I'm listening to real sounds.
Like it's really smooth.
The bass is tickling my ears haha.
It's very crunchy sounding too.
What the heck after listening to this song I felt light headed I feel so overwhelmed just by listening to the first few seconds of this song.
Like there's so many things going on I was really shocked by the intro hahahaha. "

I couldn't resist laughing the whole time while she's reacting to them wwwwww.

Dec 22, 2023 at 2:43 AM Post #73,324 of 75,673
20231222-152530.jpg
600ohm beryllium earbuds with a bespoke cable. I couldn't get Yinmans, so I opted for this instead. Despite its high resistance and low sensitivity, it sounds good even when connected directly to a phone. Granted, you have to crank the volume all the way up. When amplified sound quality improves in every category. The soundstage is great, the bass is deep, smooth yet detailed treble, timbre and separation are both really good.

Too bad I couldn't give it a proper listen right now because my tinnitus is flaring up.

" it sounds so smooth?
Does it make sense?
It's so detailed.
Like after listening to this earbuds I really noticed how other earbuds sound different.
Its really good.
Like it's really smooth.
What the heck after listening to this song I felt light headed I feel so overwhelmed just by listening to the first few seconds of this song.
Like there's so many things going on I was really shocked by the intro hahahaha. "

What is it called?

Dec 22, 2023 at 4:15 AM Post #73,325 of 75,673
20231222-152530.jpg

" it sounds so smooth?
Does it make sense?
It's so detailed.
Its really good.
Like it's really smooth.

Nice build, I use the same shell too. I want to add to what your friend said that the bass (which is ok) is not the star of the show (an expression borrowed from most reviews)

Attachments

• 20231018_174846.jpg
    20231018_174846.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:47 AM Post #73,327 of 75,673
What is it called?
Slr, I was out hanging with friends; it's a DIY earbud, not a branded one, and if you're asking what I'm naming it, I'm still undecided lol.
Nice build, I use the same shell too. I want to add to what your friend said that the bass (which is ok) is not the star of the show (an expression borrowed from most reviews)
I just really appreciate how much she liked them. Seeing her reaction is so cute. >w<
My two new builds: MX500 with 300 Ohm blue sapphire PET on the left (made with the help of my friend @jeejack :thumbsup:) and DP100 with 75 Ohm Nanofiber Bio composite on the right

With the help of one of the best DIYers in here, no wonder they turned out very nice. I bet they sounded really good too. I hope we can be friends too. Ow<

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:54 AM Post #73,329 of 75,673
My two new builds: MX500 with 300 Ohm blue sapphire PET on the left (made with the help of my friend @jeejack :thumbsup:) and DP100 with 75 Ohm Nanofiber Bio composite on the right

Glad you like.
Slr, I was out hanging with friends; it's a DIY earbud, not a branded one, and if you're asking what I'm naming it, I'm still undecided lol.

I just really appreciate how much she liked them. Seeing her reaction is so cute. >w<

With the help of one of the best DIYers in here, no wonder they turned out very nice. I bet they sounded really good too. I hope we can be friends too. Ow<
Hi friend

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:35 AM Post #73,331 of 75,673
... and really great and helpful guy :beerchug:

great guy, big guy also!!!!! and a great friend!!!

How surprising and great it is to see so many users dedicated to DIY, it is the right path to follow!!!! Isn't it satisfying to hear something you've made yourself and it sounds really good????

Happy Holidays to all!!!!
Merry Christmas bud lovers!!!!!

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #73,332 of 75,673

How surprising and great it is to see so many users dedicated to DIY, it is the right path to follow!!!! Isn't it satisfying to hear something you've made yourself and it sounds really good????

Exactly what we (DIY Workroom) set out to do two years ago, to bring others on the DIY path
Merry Christmas!

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #73,333 of 75,673

Exactly what we (DIY Workroom) set out to do two years ago, to bring others on the DIY path
Merry Christmas!
I started doing modding when I was a kid with very cheap earbuds and earphones I could get my hands on at the nearby store. Play with them a bit and adjust them until I get a satisfactory result or like most of the time break them lol. So it's very nice seeing guides and forums about DIY-ing and modding flourishing because I didn't have these resources back then. I've started reading here and other websites since 2017. I'm just kind of shy butting in because I'm an introvert haha, but it's very fun to just lurk around and read. Even though I've been doing modding for a very long time, I'm still new to DIY and aren't that confident with my skills😅. so every help I can get is greatly appreciated.

Anyways~ have a very happy and merry Christmas ya'll!

Dec 22, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #73,334 of 75,673

Wasn't clear to me that you made it yourself, excellency.

Dec 22, 2023 at 12:37 PM Post #73,335 of 75,673
Yes, I really enjoy this hobby! More and more with each new created earbud... Thanks to all of you beautiful people here on this thread :L3000: I've started this as a simple rewiring of the old Nokia and Sony Ericson shells, and now I dive into this different driver "tasting". For example, this was my first DP100 shell and I found them very hard to open once they are closed, so I do only do basic tuning with horseshoe foam and not much experiments. Luckily, I manage to get very balanced, natural timbre, so I'm really satisfied with the sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back