Earbuds Round-Up
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:34 AM Post #66,931 of 75,861
It sucks that you have to give up the beer. My condolences, bro. That said, hard alcohol with no mixers still gives you tons of options. Not the least of which is to become a Scotch drinker. Seriously though, if you have a favorite kind of liquor these days you can find all kinds of boutique brands and styles to explore for generally reasonable prices.

It amazes me how many different Scotch varieties there are out there. I could try a new one every day and probably never run out. It's the same with other whiskey types, vodka, rum, etc. Point being, there are rabbit holes available for you to go have fun in if you decide to so all is not lost just because you have to go the low carb, no beer route.

To @Oscarilbo : Have you tried using a tone generator to figure out what frequency its happening at? Is it only happening in one of the buds or both?
Yes, you are right, there ARE indeed many options to be had. For a time now, I have been drinking vodka (pretty much) exclusively. Looking at my avatar you might notice which one I choose. It is called Crystal Head, and it is the smoothest (strong) vodka I have had the pleasure to imbibe. It used to be really expensive (@$100 for a pint), but now it has come down nicely to something like $50 for 750mL. I think this is what makes it so smooth (rather than simply aging it in barrels of any kind or the standard filters):
Crystal Head vodka itself is just as remarkable as its vessel. Crafted from corn, it’s distilled four times and filtered seven times—including three times through diamonds. Yes, diamonds.

It's a shame I have never found any of those diamonds that might have "accidentally" fallen into the mix and bottled with the drink... :wink:

That is a good idea, and this is the one I normally use (if interested). Though, I do believe the OP mentioned that it was always the right bud that was the culprit (IIRC). Hence the reason I wanted to see if it followed the bud if you switched ears, or stayed in the same ear (possibly showing if it is a bud or ear issue)...
Happy to have built 600 Ohm Voodoo again!!!!

It is my favorite sound, but I have heard them a lot, they surprise me again

20221203_200735.jpg
Fantastic! I am glad you finally got your 600ohm buds back. It has been overdue for some time now IMHO... Enjoy Hermano!

Dec 4, 2022 at 12:47 AM Post #66,933 of 75,861
I think the pic looks good! If this is considered bad photography, then I'm in real trouble...😞
Amen! Nuff' said.... :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Thank you brothers!

You know @o0genesis0o's review of the Jade Audio JD7 [if you haven't read it, you're an inferior human(JOKE)] got me to bring my Moondrop Aria out of retirement. It's really a decent IEM, but definitely too bright and aggressive with Spiral Dots on it and it is crazy fatiguing. The technicalities are a solid notch below what I've grown used to as well, but the soundstage is pretty wide, just not very deep and separation is just okay. If anyone can recommend better suited tips for that I wouldn't be upset. :wink: The Aria may be the most average of all IEMs, but I can't listen to it for more than a minute or two in its current condition. The Spiral Dots are just so comfortable that I put them on everything by default. I really need a broadband pinna/treble reduction. I know this is the wrong place to ask, but you guys have all kinds of experience and I trust your opinions.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #66,934 of 75,861
Yes, you are right, there ARE indeed many options to be had. For a time now, I have been drinking vodka (pretty much) exclusively. Looking at my avatar you might notice which one I choose. It is called Crystal Head, and it is the smoothest (strong) vodka I have had the pleasure to imbibe. It used to be really expensive (@$100 for a pint), but now it has come down nicely to something like $50 for 750mL. I think this is what makes it so smooth (rather than simply aging it in barrels of any kind or the standard filters):
It's a shame I have never found any of those diamonds that might have "accidentally" fallen into the mix and bottled with the drink... :wink:

That is a good idea, and this is the one I normally use (if interested). Though, I do believe the OP mentioned that it was always the right bud that was the culprit (IIRC). Hence the reason I wanted to see if it followed the bud if you switched ears, or stayed in the same ear (possibly showing if it is a bud or ear issue)...

Fantastic! I am glad you finally got your 600ohm buds back. It has been overdue for some time now IMHO... Enjoy Hermano!

I'll have to see if I can pick up a bottle of this Crystal Head to try. I normally keep a bottle of Ketel One or Belvedere handy for the vodka drinkers that visit or the occasional drink myself, but I'm actually running low so now's as good a time as any to switch it up.

Edit: Just checked Crystal Head's website and they have several shops near me that stock it so I'll pick some up tomorrow for sure.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 1:01 AM Post #66,935 of 75,861
Thank you brothers!

You know @o0genesis0o's review of the Jade Audio JD7 [if you haven't read it, you're an inferior human(JOKE)] got me to bring my Moondrop Aria out of retirement. It's really a decent bud, but definitely too bright and aggressive with Spiral Dots on it and it is crazy fatiguing. The technicalities are a solid notch below what I've grown used to as well, but the soundstage is pretty wide, just not very deep and separation is just okay. If anyone can recommend better suited tips for that I wouldn't be upset. :wink: The Aria may be the most average of all IEMs, but I can't listen to it for more than a minute or two in its current condition. The Spiral Dots are just so comfortable that I put them on everything by default. I really need a broadband pinna/treble reduction. I know this is the wrong place to ask, but you guys have all kinds of experience and I trust your opinions.

I mean you can improve the Aria to listen, but why do you want to do that :beyersmile:

Kind of strange that Aria is harsh to you, though. It’s the classic 10db 3k ear gain but with more 250hz than flat line. Tonality is perfectly fine, but the technical performance is a deal breaker to me. I always feel lacking when listening Aria, which fueled my obsession to find better IEM. Many cheap IEMs nowadays don’t trigger that lacking feeling.

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:03 AM Post #66,936 of 75,861
Thank you brothers!

You know @o0genesis0o's review of the Jade Audio JD7 [if you haven't read it, you're an inferior human(JOKE)] got me to bring my Moondrop Aria out of retirement. It's really a decent bud, but definitely too bright and aggressive with Spiral Dots on it and it is crazy fatiguing. The technicalities are a solid notch below what I've grown used to as well, but the soundstage is pretty wide, just not very deep and separation is just okay. If anyone can recommend better suited tips for that I wouldn't be upset. :wink: The Aria may be the most average of all IEMs, but I can't listen to it for more than a minute or two in its current condition. The Spiral Dots are just so comfortable that I put them on everything by default. I really need a broadband pinna/treble reduction. I know this is the wrong place to ask, but you guys have all kinds of experience and I trust your opinions.

Final E tips or foam TS-400s are what I used when I had the Aria (both versions).

Dec 4, 2022 at 1:06 AM Post #66,937 of 75,861
Happy to have built 600 Ohm Voodoo again!!!!

It is my favorite sound, but I have heard them a lot, they surprise me again

20221203_200735.jpg

I'm relaxing and listening to my Blue Voodoo 600s right now plugged into my big primary rig. Such a sweet pair of buds and definitely amongst my favorites. I'm happy that I'm no longer keeping you from enjoying some audio voodoo! 🤘😎

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #66,938 of 75,861
I mean you can improve the Aria to listen, but why do you want to do that :beyersmile:

Kind of strange that Aria is harsh to you, though. It’s the classic 10db 3k ear gain but with more 250hz than flat line. Tonality is perfectly fine, but the technical performance is a deal breaker to me. I always feel lacking when listening Aria, which fueled my obsession to find better IEM. Many cheap IEMs nowadays don’t trigger that lacking feeling.
The treble is just too hot for me. I don't recall thinking that with the FiiO tips installed, but they didn't sit well in my right ear. I still thought they were too thin though. I have just never gotten along well with the Aria in spite of its billing as an easy to listen to IEM. IEMs in general seem this way to me now. My FDX1 is easier on me for sure... When I listen to my bud collection, there's a calm and warmth about the sound that's so detailed, separated, and layered. The Aria is out of my head, but simultaneously in my face, exists in one plane and slightly sibilant. It is very easy to drive, but hard for me to listen to.

Final E tips or foam TS-400s are what I used when I had the Aria (both versions).
Sweet! I have some Final E tips, but I'm not sure which model. I'll have to dig them out. I remember now buying them for a rumored bass boost...

Dec 4, 2022 at 2:21 AM Post #66,939 of 75,861
The treble is just too hot for me. I don't recall thinking that with the FiiO tips installed, but they didn't sit well in my right ear. I still thought they were too thin though. I have just never gotten along well with the Aria in spite of its billing as an easy to listen to IEM. IEMs in general seem this way to me now. My FDX1 is easier on me for sure... When I listen to my bud collection, there's a calm and warmth about the sound that's so detailed, separated, and layered. The Aria is out of my head, but simultaneously in my face, exists in one plane and slightly sibilant. It is very easy to drive, but hard for me to listen to.

Sweet! I have some Final E tips, but I'm not sure which model. I'll have to dig them out. I remember now buying them for a rumored bass boost...
Can’t help you here, mate. Your experience with Aria is so different from mine that I have to wonder about whether you have a good fit. I personally use the stock tips with Aria. I’m only use them when I need to A/B test anyway :beyersmile:

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:23 AM Post #66,940 of 75,861
Thank you brothers!

You know @o0genesis0o's review of the Jade Audio JD7 [if you haven't read it, you're an inferior human(JOKE)] got me to bring my Moondrop Aria out of retirement. It's really a decent IEM, but definitely too bright and aggressive with Spiral Dots on it and it is crazy fatiguing. The technicalities are a solid notch below what I've grown used to as well, but the soundstage is pretty wide, just not very deep and separation is just okay. If anyone can recommend better suited tips for that I wouldn't be upset. :wink: The Aria may be the most average of all IEMs, but I can't listen to it for more than a minute or two in its current condition. The Spiral Dots are just so comfortable that I put them on everything by default. I really need a broadband pinna/treble reduction. I know this is the wrong place to ask, but you guys have all kinds of experience and I trust your opinions.
The Final Type E are exactly what I was going to suggest (good call). They are known as treble killers for a good reason (very narrow bores). There are only two types of the Type E that I am aware of. They are both called the same thing, but one is shorter (for TWS) and the other is the regular length for IEMs....

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:26 AM Post #66,941 of 75,861
I'm relaxing and listening to my Blue Voodoo 600s right now plugged into my big primary rig. Such a sweet pair of buds and definitely amongst my favorites. I'm happy that I'm no longer keeping you from enjoying some audio voodoo! 🤘😎

I finished 4 buds yesterday, which have really kept me busy throughout this time, so I think I'm going to have a fun Christmas in that sense, although I envy the next experience you'll have with FF5 (it piques my curiosity).

Although I appreciate the drinks you recommend (wonderful), my simple bet is for good beer...

@Ronion you had a hiccup with quality control.....
nice new bud!!!!!!!!, I like that radioactive green wire.....

20221204_122301.jpg

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 12:51 PM Post #66,942 of 75,861

The Final Type E are exactly what I was going to suggest (good call). They are known as treble killers for a good reason (very narrow bores). There are only two types of the Type E that I am aware of. They are both called the same thing, but one is shorter (for TWS) and the other is the regular length for IEMs....
The Final Type E have essentially brought the balance to how I tune my buds. What a relief! I should have tried those sooner. The Aria are not bad, but definitely just okay as far as technicalities go. Better than the Apple earbuds, but definitely not as resolving as the 300+ Ohm buds barring maybe the WG (I have my doubts—meaning I bet the WG has better resolution). I’d have to listen side-by-side and I’m just too lazy, but compared to what I built last night, they are a sizable step behind. Really though, they are not bad now that they are better balanced tonally speaking. At least they are not fatiguing. The Final E fit well and they are comfortable. Unfortunately, the Aria do leaving me wanting more. I’ve got a dozen buds with great separation, soundstage and timbre and there’s just no going back. The JD7 will have to be the ticket. What I need is an FDX1 with more bass and less 1.5kHz.

thank you guys! I knew this crowd would have the answer. You guys are like my audio gurus.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2022 at 3:01 PM Post #66,943 of 75,861
I finished 4 buds yesterday, which have really kept me busy throughout this time, so I think I'm going to have a fun Christmas in that sense, although I envy the next experience you'll have with FF5 (it piques my curiosity).

Although I appreciate the drinks you recommend (wonderful), my simple bet is for good beer...

@Ronion you had a hiccup with quality control.....
nice new bud!!!!!!!!, I like that radioactive green wire.....

20221204_122301.jpg

Dude, you're basically an earbud factory lol! I get too caught up tweaking and experimenting to make four in one day. They look great and I'll bet they sound even better. Sounds like it's going to be a great Christmas around your house, hermano! 👍🤘😎

Dec 4, 2022 at 3:03 PM Post #66,944 of 75,861
The Final Type E have essentially brought the balance to how I tune my buds. What a relief! I should have tried those sooner. The Aria are not bad, but definitely just okay as far as technicalities go. Better than the Apple earbuds, but definitely not as resolving as the 300+ Ohm buds barring maybe the WG (I have my doubts—meaning I bet the WG has better resolution). I’d have to listen side-by-side and I’m just too lazy, but compared to what I built last night, they are a sizable step behind. Really though, they are not bad now that they are better balanced tonally speaking. At least they are not fatiguing. The Final E fit well and they are comfortable. Unfortunately, the Aria do leaving me wanting more. I’ve got a dozen buds with great separation, soundstage and timbre and there’s just no going back. The JD7 will have to be the ticket. What I need is an FDX1 with more bass and less 1.5kHz.

thank you guys! I knew this crowd would have the answer. You guys are like my audio gurus.

I'm happy they worked out for you. They were my favorite silicone tip on the Arias by a good margin and they're pretty much the first tips I try on any IEM that needs anything in the treble smoothed out.

Dec 4, 2022 at 6:16 PM Post #66,945 of 75,861
I'm happy they worked out for you. They were my favorite silicone tip on the Arias by a good margin and they're pretty much the first tips I try on any IEM that needs anything in the treble smoothed out.
They quite literally fixed it. Thanks Bro! Now do you have tweak that will give them better resolution and separation? LOL. They are nice and punchy while being simultaneously smooth. It's not a bad sound.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back