Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:42 AM Post #64,126 of 75,747
Okay guys so this is how Fiio wants us to order replacement foams for the FF3s. It's really simple and I successfully placed an order for some today that I just got the tracking info from Fiio for now along with confirmation that I could tell everyone here how to order some for themselves.

First, you visit the AliExpress link that I will include below which will take you to an item in the Fiio store for parts and repair after sale service. You place an order for this item, changing the quantity to the number of individual foams you would like (purchase two for every PAIR of foams you would like so if you want 3 pairs for example you change the quantity to 6). Along with that purchase you include a message at check out stating what you are ordering. In this case you would tell them that you would like to purchase X number of bass foams for the Fiio FF3 earbud. You can also purchase the balanced or crisp foams if you'd like just make sure you are specific in your note at check out when you tell them the number and type of foams you're purchasing. There is an icon on the checkout page that looks like a little pencil writing on a notepad (on the Android app anyways) that you click to write the note before paying.

An example for a complete order:

Quantity: 12

Note: I would like to order 6 bass foams (3 pairs) for the Fiio FF3 earbuds.

I would like to order a further 6 balanced foams (3 pairs) for the Fiio FF3 earbuds.

Thank you so much for making the replacement foams available. Head-fi loves Fiio and the FF3!

If anyone has any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer. Fiio's customer support was very helpful in putting this together for me/us and I can't thank them enough so if you guys can do me a favor and include a nice thank you in the check out note with your purchases I would really appreciate it. Their service rep that runs the Fiio account here on head-fi really went above and beyond to make these easily available for order when they otherwise hadn't planned on doing so.

Link to the AliExpress item in the Fiio Store:
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005004279948615.html

FYI, you can use the same approach to order extra plug for FF3 cable (or any other Fiio cable) as well. I’m ordering 2.5mm connectors for my FF3 this way.

Edit: 8 dollars each plug, btw.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 12:48 AM Post #64,127 of 75,747
FYI, you can use the same approach to order extra plug for FF3 cable (or any other Fiio cable) as well. I’m ordering 2.5mm connectors for my FF3 this way.

Yeah, this is standard for parts, but it has to be for parts their service department is offering which is what the Fiio rep was nice enough to setup for us with the foams.

Sep 1, 2022 at 12:55 AM Post #64,128 of 75,747
One of The legend has returned
US $299.00 | Yuin PKE Open Dynamic Flat Hheaded Earbuds Flagship Hifi Music Audiophile Wired Headset Flat -headed Plug Earphones PK1 PK2
https://a.aliexpress.com/_m0J3VBS

Thanks for the share. But when I saw non-detachable cables at $300 USD, that's a deal breaker! One awkward yank away from being a mega white elephant. YMMV.

Though on a serious note, some of us wanna cable roll to balanced/aftermarket cables or even pair the earbud with BT adapters, so it is a bummer TOTL earbuds are still being released this year with non-detachable cables.

Sep 1, 2022 at 1:11 AM Post #64,129 of 75,747
Thanks for the share. But when I saw non-detachable cables at $300 USD, that's a deal breaker! One awkward yank away from being a mega white elephant. YMMV.

Though on a serious note, some of us wanna cable roll to balanced/aftermarket cables or even pair the earbud with BT adapters, so it is a bummer TOTL earbuds are still being released this year with non-detachable cables.

I actually posted about this right around when I first started posting on this thread a few weeks ago. It amazes me that detachable cables aren't standard on premium buds. With IEMs and headphones you find a few examples of fixed cables on premium sets, but they're the exception whereas with earbuds it seems to be pretty widely accepted and practiced that fixed cables with higher end buds are acceptable.

Most of my expensive sets have removable cables thankfully, but when I use my Simphonio Dragon 3s for example I am super careful and it definitely bugs me to have to be that conscious of it. They are so good that I had to keep them, but I sold all the other TOTL level buds I have tried with fixed cables because if they aren't exceptionally good it's just not worth the hassle for me.

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:09 AM Post #64,131 of 75,747
I will look this up when I get home to my FF3s for sure. Right now I have the NSC Audio DIY 80ohm LCP buds with me and I continue to be impressed by them. They are one of the best sub $20 buds I have heard and I find myself listening to them quite often even when other more expensive buds are available. They're just a great all-arounder.

Edit: Curiosity got the better of me so I had a listen as a preview and I'm diggin' Nduduzo Makhathini's style so thanks for the rec. I'll update when I get to listen with the FF3s.
You have already mentioned NSC Audio DIY 80ohm LCP several times. I must admit I was intrigued by those buds. I would be grateful if you could post a brief comparison with the Yincrow X6, NiceHCK EB2s, Qian39 or Penon PAC Earbud if you own any of the above.

Have a nice morning (it's 08:08 AM here right now).

Sep 1, 2022 at 2:18 AM Post #64,132 of 75,747
Okay guys so this is how Fiio wants us to order replacement foams for the FF3s. It's really simple and I successfully placed an order for some today that I just got the tracking info from Fiio for now along with confirmation that I could tell everyone here how to order some for themselves.

First, you visit the AliExpress link that I will include below which will take you to an item in the Fiio store for parts and repair after sale service. You place an order for this item, changing the quantity to the number of individual foams you would like (purchase two for every PAIR of foams you would like so if you want 3 pairs for example you change the quantity to 6). Along with that purchase you include a message at check out stating what you are ordering. In this case you would tell them that you would like to purchase X number of bass foams for the Fiio FF3 earbud. You can also purchase the balanced or crisp foams if you'd like just make sure you are specific in your note at check out when you tell them the number and type of foams you're purchasing. There is an icon on the checkout page that looks like a little pencil writing on a notepad (on the Android app anyways) that you click to write the note before paying.

I would like to order a further 6 balanced foams (3 pairs) for the Fiio FF3 earbuds.

Thank you so much for making the replacement foams available. Head-fi loves Fiio and the FF3!

If anyone has any questions let me know and I will do my best to answer. Fiio's customer support was very helpful in putting this together for me/us and I can't thank them enough so if you guys can do me a favor and include a nice thank you in the check out note with your purchases I would really appreciate it. Their service rep that runs the Fiio account here on head-fi really went above and beyond to make these easily available for order when they otherwise hadn't planned on doing so.

Put in in my signature again. This is a worthy post.

Edit: 8 dollars each plug, btw.
Oh! I’m following your lead on this one. Thank you brother!

Sep 1, 2022 at 3:51 AM Post #64,133 of 75,747
You have already mentioned NSC Audio DIY 80ohm LCP several times. I must admit I was intrigued by those buds. I would be grateful if you could post a brief comparison with the Yincrow X6, NiceHCK EB2s, Qian39 or Penon PAC Earbud if you own any of the above.

Have a nice morning (it's 08:08 AM here right now).

Okay so I have heard the X6, the EB2s, and the Qian39, but I gave away the Qian39 and the X6 because they weren't really my style and the EB2s weren't mine. This means that the best I can do is try to give you a comparison from memory which I will try to do, but I'm giving you fair warning as to why it's only going to be general.

That said, the closest comparison would be to the EB2s. The NSC 80s, as I will refer to them from now on, and the EB2s are actually pretty similar earbuds but with a few key differences. First, as far as technical performance goes I believe that the NSC 80s avoid the overly smoothed note articulation which was something I sometimes noted as a shortcoming when listening to the EB2s over the month that I had them even though I ultimately liked them quite a bit. The bass on the NSC 80s reaches deeper and has greater punch and a more detailed presentation. The mids on both are smooth and musical while the treble on the NSC 80s has a bit more air and sparkle than I recall from the EB2s.

The other major difference that I noted is that the NSC 80s have a significantly larger soundstage as I remember the EB2s to have been somewhat intimate in their presentation. I think this is likely do to the greater treble extension from of the NSC 80s as well as the larger port they have on the back in comparison to the smaller opening I remember on the EB2s. I think the increased bass response may also have much to do with that bigger port too, but that's just a guess. I also find that the NSC 80s have an overall more authoritative presentation that differs from the sometimes overly smooth and polite version the EB2s give the listener.

I hope this helps. I have to say that I liked the EB2s for the time I had them, but they didn't capture my attention of have me reaching for them over and over again like these NSC 80s to. I am very glad that I took a chance on these as they're quickly becoming one of my favorites from the budget side of my collection.

Edit: I wanted to add that even though the bass is punchier and reaches deeper on the NSC 80s they are not bass heavy or basshead earbuds. The bass is elevated a touch above neutral, but not by much. I just wanted to point out the better articulation and punch as well as the deeper reach of the bass over the EB2s, but didn't mean to convey a sense of these earbuds being bassy.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2022 at 3:59 AM Post #64,134 of 75,747

bro this is like first discovery of fire by our ancestors. awesome work!

Sep 1, 2022 at 4:15 AM Post #64,135 of 75,747
Sep 1, 2022 at 5:19 AM Post #64,136 of 75,747
Just had a thought
custom earbuds like ciems
idk how that would really work to prevent a seal still and what materials it would have to be made of to still allow for near zero isolation

Sep 1, 2022 at 5:34 AM Post #64,137 of 75,747
Okay so I have heard the X6, the EB2s, and the Qian39, but I gave away the Qian39 and the X6 because they weren't really my style and the EB2s weren't mine. This means that the best I can do is try to give you a comparison from memory which I will try to do, but I'm giving you fair warning as to why it's only going to be general.

That said, the closest comparison would be to the EB2s. The NSC 80s, as I will refer to them from now on, and the EB2s are actually pretty similar earbuds but with a few key differences. First, as far as technical performance goes I believe that the NSC 80s avoid the overly smoothed note articulation which was something I sometimes noted as a shortcoming when listening to the EB2s over the month that I had them even though I ultimately liked them quite a bit. The bass in the NSC 80s reaches deeper and has greater punch and a more detailed presentation. The mids on both are smooth and musical while the treble on the NSC 80s has a bit more air and sparkle than I recall from the EB2s.

The other major difference that I noted is that the NSC 80s have a significantly larger soundstage as I remember the EB2s to have been somewhat intimate in their presentation. I think this is likely do to the greater treble extension from of the NSC 80s as well as the larger port they have on the back in comparison to the smaller opening I remember on the EB2s. I think the increased bass response may also have much to do with that bigger port too, but that's just a guess. I also find that the NSC 80s have an overall more authoritative presentation that differs from the sometimes overly smooth and polite version the EB2s give the listener.

I hope this helps. I have to say that I liked the EB2s for the time I had them, but they didn't capture my attention of have me reaching for them over and over again like these NSC 80s to. I am very glad that I took a chance on these as they're quickly becoming one of my favorites from the budget side of my collection.

Edit: I wanted to add that even though the bass is punchier and reaches deeper on the NSC 80s they are not bass heavy or basshead earbuds. The bass is elevates a touch above neutral, but not by much. I just wanted to point out the better articulation and punch as well as the deeper reach of the bass over the EB2s, but didn't mean to convey a sense of these earbuds being bassy.
Thank you very much, of course your reply helped me to form a better preliminary view of the NSC 80s. I had put the EB2s aside just because of the subjective lack of bass authority and overall too slick sound character. Their naturalness in the mids, however, I appreciate. Based on your description, the NSC 80s might suit me better.

Thanks again...

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:10 AM Post #64,138 of 75,747
Nope. Sorry, but I haven't heard anything about it. Unfortunately it seems that the Viridis are relatively overlooked around here so there are very few people that own them that I have found to compare notes with.
Trigger pulled. Waiting game for AliExpress standard shipping! After that we can compare notes!

Sep 1, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #64,139 of 75,747
Sep 1, 2022 at 6:17 AM Post #64,140 of 75,747
Trigger pulled. Waiting game for AliExpress standard shipping! After that we can compare notes!

Awesome! I'll be looking forward to it.

Are they there yet? LOL 😉

Users who are viewing this thread

Back