Earbuds Round-Up
Nov 6, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #58,636 of 75,719
They are different yes. I prefer the 189 Hybrid MX150 tuning, it has more midbass to low mid body (and is warmer as a consequence) and has less peaky upper mids.

Might be what I need next. How would you compare to my 266 pk32? - or have you got that?

Nov 6, 2021 at 12:49 PM Post #58,637 of 75,719
They are different yes. I prefer the 189 Hybrid MX150 tuning, it has more midbass to low mid body (and is warmer as a consequence) and has less peaky upper mids.
And on Lower bass / sub bass?

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:00 PM Post #58,638 of 75,719
Might be what I need next. How would you compare to my 266 pk32? - or have you got that?

I never took the plunge on the 266 PK32 New Line unfortunately. A better comparison point is the MX150 Retune. On some tracks the MX150 Retune uppermid and treble can be too much for me. The 189 Hybrid MX150 aPs is a crowd pleaser I think. It works with most genres and has equal respect for male and female vocalists and it's backed up by the great technicalities of the MX150 driver that I'm sure you're familiar with.

And on Lower bass / sub bass?

Similar tuning in this region with some of the better subbass extension of the Blurs I've tried.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:05 PM Post #58,639 of 75,719
Just going to remind you guys that earbud graphs are not reliable due to how they work. I would take those graphs with a big grain of salt and mostly look at them for entertainment.
Totally. Many variables, not just in measurements but in subjectives as well.

In this case this measurement correlates with my experience. You said PEQ was necessary so we are not so different in impressions.

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 1:09 PM Post #58,640 of 75,719
You said PEQ was necessary so we are not so different in impressions.
It is needed IF you want it to sound like the X6. The stock LBBS does NOT need PEQ unless you want to make it sound like something else.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:14 PM Post #58,642 of 75,719
I could hear the LBBS very differently as I shifted them around during positioning. Just didnt line up for me. X6 sounds like its for me (from what ive read). Sooon
Use my PEQ preset then.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:15 PM Post #58,643 of 75,719
Disclaimer: my earbuds graphs are for fun and experimental purpose only and not to be considered as absolute in terms of accuracy.

For every earbuds:

I took about 10 measurements each with full foam and averaged out, but looking at other variables such as how everyone’s ear anatomy is different, earbuds won’t be measured properly like IEMS do.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #58,644 of 75,719
Yeah! The bass frequencies feel/sound more 'open' and diffuse in earbuds while still conveying 'rumble' and 'impact' with good tactility. This all lends well to the 'arena' / 'live' / 'natural' character and I feel gives a more realistic timbre for instruments.

However, I think IEMs reveal low frequency dynamics and subbass very well and often better. They seem to handle the graduated and rolling tones of electronic music with better accuracy. I guess it all comes down to the fact there's less energy dissipated and possibly less information lost to interference (?). Or, I could just be talking rubbish as I'm not a professional by any means! All I know is what I hear. I prefer earbuds for the music I listen to but I also see a place for IEMs in my life.
For sure! IEM port sound directly into your ears and reproduce as they should. That's why I think audiophiles gravitate towards them more. But I've never felt like they "present" music as much as "direct" music.

Sort of like the comparison between headphones and speakers. Headphones bring the sound to your ears, but can't replicate the particular dynamics of speakers. They might be more accurate, more detailed by design, but there's a difference in experience. IEMs just further that, but at the cost of losing some of the natural dynamics that our ears provide.

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:34 PM Post #58,645 of 75,719
Disclaimer: my earbuds graphs are for fun and experimental purpose only and not to be considered as absolute in terms of accuracy.

For every earbuds:

I took about 10 measurements each with full foam and averaged out, but looking at other variables such as how everyone’s ear anatomy is different, earbuds won’t be measured properly like IEMS do.
Your paintings are unreal. Amazing

Do you have more details on your measurement rig?

Nov 6, 2021 at 1:39 PM Post #58,646 of 75,719
I never took the plunge on the 266 PK32 New Line unfortunately. A better comparison point is the MX150 Retune. On some tracks the MX150 Retune uppermid and treble can be too much for me. The 189 Hybrid MX150 aPs is a crowd pleaser I think. It works with most genres and has equal respect for male and female vocalists and it's backed up by the great technicalities of the MX150 driver that I'm sure you're familiar with.

Similar tuning in this region with some of the better subbass extension of the Blurs I've tried.

Yeah it has been hit and miss for me with MX150, I should spend more time with it and take note of where it works... definitely harsh at times. I guess that is what often has me scurrying back to the safety of EM5 😁 I've not had enough time with pk32 either really.

Nov 6, 2021 at 2:00 PM Post #58,647 of 75,719
Your paintings are unreal. Amazing

Do you have more details on your measurement rig?
Thanks!

Measurement rig: Audiotools -> Iphone 6S 3.5mm out to IMM-6 mic -> vinyl coupler mimicking my ear canal which extends from the pinna to the eardrum at about 2.6 centimeters (1 in) in length and 0.7 centimeters (0.3 in) in diameter. -> Silicone Ear attached by super glue -> Earbuds with full foam playing Pink noise.

JC10.jpg

just measured JCally JC10. Blur up next..

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 2:51 PM Post #58,649 of 75,719
^ This.

Thanks!

Measurement rig: Audiotools -> Iphone 6S 3.5mm out to IMM-6 mic -> vinyl coupler mimicking my ear canal which extends from the pinna to the eardrum at about 2.6 centimeters (1 in) in length and 0.7 centimeters (0.3 in) in diameter. -> Silicone Ear attached by super glue -> Earbuds with full foam playing Pink noise.
I went a little further and made a mold of my own ear and then made a vinyl coupler that mimicked the results of the mold, but holds earbuds themselves. It gives me more repeatable results.

I use rew, sweeps, imm-6 andy vinyl coupler.
IMG_20201225_184050.jpg

In any case, earbud measurements for comparison purposes should only be compared to the ones produced by the same rig. IMO. There's just too much variance.

My original ST-10 and LBBS (w/mic) measurements:
ST-10 vs Ks LBBs 21.jpg

Last edited:
Nov 6, 2021 at 3:01 PM Post #58,650 of 75,719
@tgx78 will you take blur 189 mx150 FR ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back