Earbuds Round-Up
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:18 AM Post #55,861 of 75,375
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:28 AM Post #55,863 of 75,375
Nope and I have given up on finding one. X6 TOTL by default lol.
I agree with you. There is really no need for that, why waste time? :wink: There is simply no better model :beerchug:

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 11:41 AM Post #55,865 of 75,375
Legend has it that the Sennheiser HE-1 sounds muddy next to the X6
Sennheiser HE-1 is not red. For me, that's a negative point

Jul 4, 2021 at 1:25 PM Post #55,868 of 75,375
Jul 4, 2021 at 1:29 PM Post #55,869 of 75,375
Jietu store on Shopee still offers them, for example in Singapore: https://shopee.sg/Seahf-AWK-F150C-Impedance-Earphone-150-ohm-Earbuds-Headset-i.66630848.1401250111
Btw. notice the sensitivity... 85dB/mW. Looks interesting!
My eyes :eyes: nearly popped out of my head when I read that!

I searched around a bit and do see the very same spec (85dB/mW @ 150Ω and 90dB/mW @ 400Ω) repeated over and over again for the Seahf AWK. Though I did come across a more reasonable spec indicating a modest 103dB/mW sensitivity rating for all four (4) high impedance versions (150Ω/300Ω/400Ω/650Ω) which I am inclined to lean towards as being the correct sensitivity rating. If it is not, that would mean that both the 150Ω and 400Ω versions require twenty (20) or more volts and thousands of mW to reach a SPL of 120dB! Holy cow! Hell, 2V will only reach 100dB SPL! Therefore, I find it extremely hard to believe that these earbud drivers require 1 watt plus to reach 120dB SPL.

1625419072024.png
1625419087856.png

Last edited:
Jul 4, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #55,871 of 75,375
ShoonTH has fast bass response and because of that the mids are cleaner and not distant at all
It’s interesting that’s how they sounded to me last night, and that character seems totally gone today. In fact I’d say the vocal is right where I want it today. I fed them music all night. Have you noticed a greater sense of space from the dp100 shell vs. mx500? None of my mx500 shell ear buds have the sense of space that both of my dp100 do. The dp100 also seems to block more outside noise comparatively, but the mx500 generally have more bass. I wouldn’t say better bass As of Yet, but a bassier balance for lack of a better descriptor.

Jul 4, 2021 at 5:30 PM Post #55,872 of 75,375
It’s interesting that’s how they sounded to me last night, and that character seems totally gone today. In fact I’d say the vocal is right where I want it today. I fed them music all night. Have you noticed a greater sense of space from the dp100 shell vs. mx500? None of my mx500 shell ear buds have the sense of space that both of my dp100 do. The dp100 also seems to block more outside noise comparatively, but the mx500 generally have more bass. I wouldn’t say better bass As of Yet, but a bassier balance for lack of a better descriptor.
This is pretty much common thing. After a certain "working period", the driver slowly begins to "opens-up" and the brain slowly adapts to the new sound.
That's why I always say: Take your time and give them a chance for a few days to open up. With each bud, as you already know, the sound depends mostly on the driver and then the shell. ShoonTH driver is tuned specially for DP100 shells, and the guys from ShoonTH did a great job. It has, as you stated, the "sense of space" in left and right direction but not the same magnitude in front of you and above. That's why we said that this model have wide soundstage. Shells like DP100 and MX760 are considered to be shells with a shallower cavity depth than the MX500 shell, which is deeper. Shallow shells tend to push the mids a bit forward and sometimes affect the depth of the soundstage. MX500 shell has a little more tuning capability than DP100 (the cavity size is optimal, stem has fake - sealed vent which can be open etc).
You hear more bass (quantity and quality) because of better fit i.e seal and also because of that and way of ShoonTH tuning, you receive less outside noise.
If they didn't close side vents (one side only) you will receive same amount of noise like with MX500

Jul 4, 2021 at 10:30 PM Post #55,873 of 75,375
This is pretty much common thing. After a certain "working period", the driver slowly begins to "opens-up" and the brain slowly adapts to the new sound.
That's why I always say: Take your time and give them a chance for a few days to open up. With each bud, as you already know, the sound depends mostly on the driver and then the shell. ShoonTH driver is tuned specially for DP100 shells, and the guys from ShoonTH did a great job. It has, as you stated, the "sense of space" in left and right direction but not the same magnitude in front of you and above. That's why we said that this model have wide soundstage. Shells like DP100 and MX760 are considered to be shells with a shallower cavity depth than the MX500 shell, which is deeper. Shallow shells tend to push the mids a bit forward and sometimes affect the depth of the soundstage. MX500 shell has a little more tuning capability than DP100 (the cavity size is optimal, stem has fake - sealed vent which can be open etc).
You hear more bass (quantity and quality) because of better fit i.e seal and also because of that and way of ShoonTH tuning, you receive less outside noise.
If they didn't close side vents (one side only) you will receive same amount of noise like with MX500

Great advise.

Anyways, do you guys get the impression that some other psychoacoustic factors affect our perception of music like in soundstage or detail retrieval?

Like these factors:
1) listening in a dark quiet room versus bright busy area - it is not only about isolation and distractions, but music sounds better in the dark??

2) listening lying down instead of sitting upright - imaging seems a bit weird when lying down, as though the brain knows your head ain't on a vertical axis and the stage depth and height is very different from sitting upright.

3) listening when tired at the end of the day versus first thing in the morning when alert.

Jul 5, 2021 at 2:48 AM Post #55,874 of 75,375
Great advise.

Anyways, do you guys get the impression that some other psychoacoustic factors affect our perception of music like in soundstage or detail retrieval?

Like these factors:
1) listening in a dark quiet room versus bright busy area - it is not only about isolation and distractions, but music sounds better in the dark??

2) listening lying down instead of sitting upright - imaging seems a bit weird when lying down, as though the brain knows your head ain't on a vertical axis and the stage depth and height is very different from sitting upright.

3) listening when tired at the end of the day versus first thing in the morning when alert.
How did you guess? :wink:
By "you guys" you mean earbuds junkies? :joy:
BTW... I like how you describe 1,2,3 factors ... really deep, like soundstage in z-direction (axis)

Jul 5, 2021 at 4:09 AM Post #55,875 of 75,375
I know that playing music after a hard shift is next to impossible to get the sound I’m looking for where first thing in the morning after a cup of coffee I can do no wrong. Listening to music in these situations is less extreme on both sides of the coin and sometimes actually sounds better when I’m exhausted. Interestingly, if I’m evaluating new gear, I think it’s just a bad idea to do it when I’m tired. I think they may have played a role in my initial listen to the ShoonTH, BUT just listening to them today on my way out of the building, they sounded so good! I wasn’t trying to be critical. The mental discord between what I heard while walking through an acoustic space I’m very familiar with that sounded nothing like the acoustic space presented by Alice Sara Ott’s Chopin Walzes was pure bliss…. I play some of those pieces, but she does it with so much control and finesse, I could just never hope to duplicate it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back