Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 16, 2021 at 12:15 PM Post #55,081 of 75,462
i think that's a needlessly aggressive way to word that request. i personally appreciate seeing real life photos of products that seemed to exist only as renders on many vendor pages. Ri provides a lot of value and insight to this thread
I'm well aware that @RikudouGoku has made some great posts.
I'm just complaining about the "uselessly huge group of pictures".

Not everyone is looking at this thread with a device that has enough power to view them easily.

Edit: By "uselessly huge group of pictures", I mean a group of 18 pictures that are about 4 MByte each,
for a total of 172 MByte pictures.
  It took me about 15 minutes to finish viewing them on my underpowered Core i7 PC...

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 12:35 PM Post #55,082 of 75,462
Vido has clearer treble, it's cheaper, and it's an original that should be respected.
You should buy one of the Vido's and compare it to the X6. :relaxed:
Ill let you know if I get a hold of one. The only thing that’s holding me back is the flimsy looking cable. I’ve heard that it’s asymmetrical too haha. Still, it is relatively cheap and I think there’s nothing wrong with buying one piece of Vido. 😊

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #55,083 of 75,462
Ill let you know if I get a hold of one. The only thing that’s holding me back is the flimsy looking cable. I’ve heard that it’s asymmetrical too haha. Still, it is relatively cheap and I think there’s nothing wrong with buying one piece of Vido. 😊
Buy this
US $2.92 21%OFF | Vido Red Earbuds In Ear Earphone Earbud Dynamic Flat Head Plug Earbud HIFI Bass Earbud MX500 Black With Mic
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mO8aysH

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:46 PM Post #55,084 of 75,462
The latest "DIY Vido" has a symmetrical cable.
If you want any color, the "red" DIY Vido is said to sound better. :relaxed:

Jun 16, 2021 at 12:50 PM Post #55,085 of 75,462
Jun 16, 2021 at 2:38 PM Post #55,086 of 75,462
I received yesterday my M2s Pro unit. First, the bad: I don't understand how they have thought and designed the replaceable dampers system. Putting one in place is a nightmare, if you have to use the gripper included in the box. Second, the so-so. The cable is not bad, but is not particularly good. At least, the chin works. I have nothing to say about accesories, as they're almost non existent.

Finally, the really good things: all that is related to sound. Initially, I was feeling they lacked bass, and some high-mids peak was starting to killing me. Fortunatelly, I removed the stock dumper and now, without one, I think they're great. A real upgrade over my beloved RY4S Plus (yes, 5x the price if you add a basic cable to the Plus, I know), in the sense that they're more refined, with more resolution and a wider soundstage. I feel these could really be my endgame in earbuds, provided I will also buy the 10s Gold and Super One drivers. I already have a lot of IEMs, and what I don't want to do is to start making another huge collection of buds.

I haven't tried to use the driver replacement mechanism, but seems it won't be same story that with dampers. Opening an closing the shell is really easy.

Jun 16, 2021 at 2:43 PM Post #55,087 of 75,462
I received yesterday my M2s Pro unit. First, the bad: I don't understand how they have thought and designed the replaceable dampers system. Putting one in place is a nightmare, if you have to use the gripper included in the box. Second, the so-so. The cable is not bad, but is not particularly good. At least, the chin works. I have nothing to say about accesories, as they're almost non existent.

Finally, the really good things: all that is related to sound. Initially, I was feeling they lacked bass, and some high-mids peak was starting to killing me. Fortunatelly, I removed the stock dumper and now, without one, I think they're great. A real upgrade over my beloved RY4S Plus (yes, 5x the price if you add a basic cable to the Plus, I know), in the sense that they're more refined, with more resolution and a wider soundstage. I feel these could really be my endgame in earbuds, provided I will also buy the 10s Gold and Super One drivers. I already have a lot of IEMs, and what I don't want to do is to start making another huge collection of buds.

I haven't tried to use the driver replacement mechanism, but seems it won't be same story that with dampers. Opening an closing the shell is really easy.
What gripper? I didnt get anything like that in my unit.

20210616_154015.jpg

As for the high-mid peak, its very likely because of a 3k peak that exists there.

Jun 16, 2021 at 3:12 PM Post #55,090 of 75,462
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:15 PM Post #55,091 of 75,462
Chaconne came in, thought they were DOA because apparently as I inserted one of them I must have flexed the driver. I pressed it up further into my ear canal and heard a click, then suddenly I had some bass response. Is this normal with this kind of design? Not inspiring confidence lol. For how well built they seem to be built, and how hefty they are, they also feel like delicate or I need to baby them. I can get them to fit but not at an optimal angle for the best seal when worn wires down. They're fine worn over the ear but I worry about the longevity of the cable at the base of the housing, given this is a non-replaceable cable at $330 USD x___X

Immediate impression is that their resolution, detail retrieval, airiness, soundstage, separation beats the EBX21 and ME80. Beats EBX21 at low end extension and some rumble, I think it doesn't sound as thick as ME80 but I'd have to go back and test that more thoroughly. Midbass is fast, clear, precise, has enough impact but doesn't feel aggressive or thumpy. I don't want to say it's restrained, but I will say it doesn't interfere with clarity of vocals and doesn't feel overpowering.

Forgive me here as I lack the experience and vocabulary to articulate some of this but.. the vocal presentation seems forward but not in a shouty way, but in an intimate way, with an organic quality to it, like a sense of air or breath, intent and emotion (like Joyce Wrice here at 2m39s). I think things only get fatiguing to listen to with female vocals and a treble heavy arrangement/lots going on in the song, it might be because of the clarity or separation but it's a lot for my two brain cells to process on some tracks (Chloe x Halle - Don't Make It Harder on Me). Male vocals are similarly clear and natural with that sense of air and emotion. Again, not sure of terminology here but I would say vocals are neutral in tone and natural in timbre as in, it sounds accurate and realistic and lifelike? In any case. vocals are great. I think this quality extends to instruments as well, for better or worse, like being able to hear the squeak of fingers sliding up and down a guitar neck.

I know it's cliche and at risk of being placebo because I paid like $30 -> $160 -> $275 upgrading from ME80 -> EBX21 -> Chaconne but I "hear things I've never heard before in my favorite songs." Just like twinkly/sparkly sounds like bells or piano keys in the production were more clear and separate in the Chaconne. I also notice very faint echoing/reverberation effects on female vocals in some r&b and ballads that I didn't hear before in buds with worse resolution and separation.

To sum this up, it performs like someone who takes their job seriously and wants to deliver precise, detailed, accurate work but doesn't want to come off as flashy or trying too hard. Things are balanced and clear and if you listen closely you'll know that person is passionate about their work and a master at their craft, but doesn't want to let their ego get in the way or impart their personality in the work. Keeping with this analogy it's hard to describe the Chaconne as having its own interesting character, but it doesn't seem cold or analytical in that sense. It's not like a robot or AI taking your job, it's still a (probably) nice coworker who keeps to themselves. It's not boring to listen to, maybe the opposite -- you are so engaged and impressed with how accurate things sound that you just want to keep listening. You know how some people think they're so interesting and won't shut up and you just want to ignore them (like maybe me writing this) vs someone who's quiet and mysterious but so insightful and truly engaging without trying? The Chaconne is like the latter.

My complaints are probably going to be not sound related. Fit is better than EBX21, maybe about same as ME80, not as easy/comfortable as plastic MX500. The weight of Ti/Brass can be mitigated by wearing over the ear, but again, that raises concerns for longevity of the cable. In fact, I feel immediate fatigue wearing them wires down. The driver flex thing is worrisome also. I guess I also worry about keeping the polished ti from scratching, since Ti is still a soft metal. I'm finding a single full foam works well for fit, comfort, low end and clarity.

Anyway, don't take this as a proper review or anything, it's literally just me typing as I listen at my desk after unboxing them. I'll see how I feel about them once the honeymoon period is over, but let me tell you, going into this I was so very hoping I wouldn't hear any difference from my EBX21 and ME80 (which, by the way, between the two, the jump isn't that big. From ME80 to Chaconne is another story) so I could return them haha.

edit: oh god i am hearing backing vocals and other sounds that my other buds could not distinguish before, i feel like i am being haunted by ghosts using paranormal monitoring equipment

Last edited:
Jun 16, 2021 at 3:59 PM Post #55,092 of 75,462
Chaconne came in, thought they were DOA because apparently as I inserted one of them I must have flexed the driver. I pressed it up further into my ear canal and heard a click, then suddenly I had some bass response. Is this normal with this kind of design? Not inspiring confidence lol. For how well built they seem to be built, and how hefty they are, they also feel like delicate or I need to baby them. I can get them to fit but not at an optimal angle for the best seal when worn wires down. They're fine worn over the ear but I worry about the longevity of the cable at the base of the housing, given this is a non-replaceable cable at $330 USD x___X

Immediate impression is that their resolution, detail retrieval, airiness, soundstage, separation beats the EBX21 and ME80. Beats EBX21 at low end extension and some rumble, I think it doesn't sound as thick as ME80 but I'd have to go back and test that more thoroughly. Midbass is fast, clear, precise, has enough impact but doesn't feel aggressive or thumpy. I don't want to say it's restrained, but I will say it doesn't interfere with clarity of vocals and doesn't feel overpowering.

Forgive me here as I lack the experience and vocabulary to articulate some of this but.. the vocal presentation seems forward but not in a shouty way, but in an intimate way, with an organic quality to it, like a sense of air or breath, intent and emotion (like Joyce Wrice here at 2m39s). I think things only get fatiguing to listen to with female vocals and a treble heavy arrangement/lots going on in the song, it might be because of the clarity or separation but it's a lot for my two brain cells to process on some tracks (Chloe x Halle - Don't Make It Harder on Me). Male vocals are similarly clear and natural with that sense of air and emotion. Again, not sure of terminology here but I would say vocals are neutral in tone and natural in timbre as in, it sounds accurate and realistic and lifelike? In any case. vocals are great. I think this quality extends to instruments as well, for better or worse, like being able to hear the squeak of fingers sliding up and down a guitar neck.

I know it's cliche and at risk of being placebo because I paid like $30 -> $160 -> $275 upgrading from ME80 -> EBX21 -> Chaconne but I "hear things I've never heard before in my favorite songs." Just like twinkly/sparkly sounds like bells or piano keys in the production were more clear and separate in the Chaconne. I also notice very faint echoing/reverberation effects on female vocals in some r&b and ballads that I didn't hear before in buds with worse resolution and separation.

To sum this up, it performs like someone who takes their job seriously and wants to deliver precise, detailed, accurate work but doesn't want to come off as flashy or trying too hard. Things are balanced and clear and if you listen closely you'll know that person is passionate about their work and a master at their craft, but doesn't want to let their ego get in the way or impart their personality in the work. Keeping with this analogy it's hard to describe the Chaconne as having its own interesting character, but it doesn't seem cold or analytical in that sense. It's not like a robot or AI taking your job, it's still a (probably) nice coworker who keeps to themselves. It's not boring to listen to, maybe the opposite -- you are so engaged and impressed with how accurate things sound that you just want to keep listening. You know how some people think they're so interesting and won't shut up and you just want to ignore them (like maybe me writing this) vs someone who's quiet and mysterious but so insightful and truly engaging without trying? The Chaconne is like the latter.

My complaints are probably going to be not sound related. Fit is better than EBX21, maybe about same as ME80, not as easy/comfortable as plastic MX500. The weight of Ti/Brass can be mitigated by wearing over the ear, but again, that raises concerns for longevity of the cable. In fact, I feel immediate fatigue wearing them wires down. The driver flex thing is worrisome also. I guess I also worry about keeping the polished ti from scratching, since Ti is still a soft metal. I'm finding a single full foam works well for fit, comfort, low end and clarity.

Anyway, don't take this as a proper review or anything, it's literally just me typing as I listen at my desk after unboxing them. I'll see how I feel about them once the honeymoon period is over, but let me tell you, going into this I was so very hoping I wouldn't hear any difference from my EBX21 and ME80 (which, by the way, between the two, the jump isn't that big. From ME80 to Chaconne is another story) so I could return them haha.

edit: oh god i am hearing backing vocals and other sounds that my other buds could not distinguish before, i feel like i am being haunted by ghosts using paranormal monitoring equipment
Sounds like you like them then. :joy:

But any kind of driver flex should be straight up impossible with buds...

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:06 PM Post #55,094 of 75,462
Sounds like you like them then. :joy:

But any kind of driver flex should be straight up impossible with buds...
yeah, I really thought the cable was broken or something because I had super obvious channel imbalance and no bass on one bud. I tried it without foams, tried switching ears to see if it was a fit issue, but it persisted and was clear. Then I just kinda.. shoved it into my ear and heard a click, then suddenly full luscious sound. I don't want to attempt to recreate it though. Maybe it isn't flex (I'm a n00b with a 2005 join date and don't know all the terminology yet), but it felt like when you press a bare driver and it pops/dents in. anyway, it's resolved for now

Jun 16, 2021 at 4:15 PM Post #55,095 of 75,462
BTW... ShoonTHESEP-01BL is an excellent pair of buds for the money, but you can find it only on Penon store or maybe Taobao
They have fast bass response, good clarity, and wide soundstage with great imaging.
But the cable is bad quality so if you don't know how to swap stock cable I will not recommend this version but another 150ohm version ShoonTH ESEP-01BLE.
Another option will be to order from NSC store this driver, shell, and cable (or this one), roll up your sleeves and put together your own pair. :thumbsup:
Of course don't expect to get 100% of the same earbuds because ShoonTH chose the best components and professionally tuned this model
Here you can see how they look inside :wink:

The cable of The SHOONTH ESEP-01BL is just a little stiff, but not so stiff that it is unusable.

The bass performance and wide soundstage are great attractions that more than make up for the cable.:L3000:

I agree with you 100% :beerchug:It is usable for $1 cable, no doubt. But this pair definitely deserves better cables
In addition to bass performance and wide soundstage, the precise imaging is the another thing that I like on this pair.
Also, because they seal vents on one side the sound is more intimate, and you receive less external noise

I concur with all of the above. Love the Shoonth ESEP-01BL sound, but not so much the cable. Below is an image of me holding up my pair. Just a little bit stiff lol! But that doesn't stop me from using them every night in bed.

Attachments

• 20210616_131148_resized.jpg
    20210616_131148_resized.jpg
    77.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back