Earbuds Round-Up
Jun 15, 2016 at 2:47 PM Post #5,401 of 75,874
Whoa so Mojito is the smallest in that group? Picture made em look huge.
Im really debating on getting VE Zen 2 + RA Plus Amp vs Mojito.

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:03 PM Post #5,402 of 75,874
Are you sure? The only earbuds that use NOS drivers that I've heard of is Rose Mojito and Shozy Cygnus.

I was thinking of makers such as Ostry (KC08), Astrotec (Lyra and now Lyra6) and Dunu (Alpha 1) who makes great sounding earbuds with their own/custom design of housings.

When I got in to earbuds around 6-7 years ago there was only Yuin unless you wanted to get into vintage earbuds from mainly Sony and Aiwa (and also Panasonic and JVC among other Japanese makers).

While AKG and Sennheiser have abandoned high end earbuds I still have hope for Chinese makers.

I'm not sure if diy dual driver also NOS. But I hope the earbud will continue and NOS just filling the gap at the moment.

Actually I'm just frustrated with the high Z trend with newer earbud (I can somehow understand the reason behind) while NOS low Z. At least musicmaker offer low impedance, but also offer 300ohm TO300.

BTW anybody tried the TO300?

Jun 15, 2016 at 3:12 PM Post #5,403 of 75,874
A few pages back we were talking about gaming + earbuds and such.
Did someone order the DK-Jin?

Someone talked about the Blox TM7. Is it still available anywhere?

Jun 15, 2016 at 11:11 PM Post #5,405 of 75,874
I asked EE seller to liste Mojito, he said he wil do it.
So mojito is coming to my collection very soon :)

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:17 AM Post #5,407 of 75,874
  I actually listened to a set of V99s which was recabled with pure silver cables not long ago. It was total musical bliss, far better than the original. And I might buy that one soon. I have another one in a really preserved state and one in very bad shape, that will be recabled too.
Beautiful, wonderful earbuds, cannot get enough of them :D But I'd desperately need other Aiwas, like a T10 and an X10. Those are over-ear, not buds, I know, still I want them...:)

Wow, I am amazed that someone actually had the guts to recab a V99. Must have sounded heavenly! Good luck on your Aiwa purchase!
  New to this audiophile stuff. The highest quality I have ever used in my life was (and is at the moment) the Apple EarPods. When I got them with the new Nano, I was blown away (everything I had used before paled in comparison). Unfortunately they hurt my ears if I listened for too long, and the bass wasn't amazing unless volume was cranked up.

I like to listen to music while I study for long hours, so it's crucial that earbuds don't hurt my ears. And I dislike in-ear's because they hurt my ears in a matter of minutes. So I decided to research non in-ear earbuds. And man did I jump into the rabbit hole lol.

I just ordered Edifier H180, Baldoor E100, Shozy Cygnus, and VE Monk+.

Edifier and Baldoors should be in today...I'm excited lol.

Welcome to Head-fi and sorry for your wallet. *wink*

Whoa so Mojito is the smallest in that group? Picture made em look huge.
Im really debating on getting VE Zen 2 + RA Plus Amp vs Mojito.

I was actually in the same position as you, it all depends on what sound signature you like more.
My primary preference was for the sound signature of the mojitos, so yeah......

I asked EE seller to liste Mojito, he said he wil do it.
So mojito is coming to my collection very soon :)

Welcome to the club hahaha

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:24 AM Post #5,408 of 75,874
  Someone talked about the Blox TM7. Is it still available anywhere?

Only if you can find a second hand pair. They were sold for a very limited period in 2012. All of Blox' earbuds are limited, and especially the flagship buds. I remember sitting in front of the computer clicking on the update button every 2 minutes the day that a new batch of TM7 was going to be released. I think my pair was from the second or third batch. Only a couple of hundred were released in total.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:41 AM Post #5,410 of 75,874
Are the Rose Mojito's really that good? Better than Zen 2? And what are your guys opinions on MX985?

What is the best earbud in the world, in your opinions?

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:43 AM Post #5,411 of 75,874
And is it true that if you're not using an amp, the Cygnus is better sounding than the Zen 2?

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #5,412 of 75,874
 Only if you can find a second hand pair. They were sold for a very limited period in 2012. All of Blox' earbuds are limited, and especially the flagship buds. I remember sitting in front of the computer clicking on the update button every 2 minutes the day that a new batch of TM7 was going to be released. I think my pair was from the second or third batch. Only a couple of hundred were released in total

This is probably why everyone should get the Shozy Cygnus while it's still available lol

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:45 AM Post #5,413 of 75,874
  And is it true that if you're not using an amp, the Cygnus is better sounding than the Zen 2?

Yes that's for sure, Zen 2 shines only with a good AMP.

Jun 16, 2016 at 2:52 AM Post #5,414 of 75,874
Wow really?
damn...
Well what comes close to it when speaking about 3d positioning?

Personally I think that Sennheiser OMX980/MX980/MX985 isn't too far from it. And personally I think that Tomahawk is great at 3D positioning of instruments. It punches way above its price level in that category. Ting is also good at that but more "distance" sounding which somewhat reduced how that 3D positioning appears to you.

EDIT: have to add Zen 2 which is currently sold and has got a great 3D feel and positioning of instruments. But you need an amp and Zen 2 doesn't like foams...

Are the Rose Mojito's really that good? Better than Zen 2? And what are your guys opinions on MX985?

What is the best earbud in the world, in your opinions?

As far as I understand it, Mojito has got a different sound signature than Zen 2 and MX985 with more focus on upper mids and highs. MX985 is great. I recently found a second hand pair of MX985 and sold my pair of MX980. The sound is just about the same with MX985 being slightly quieter. When I A-B'd  them with my MX980 before selling them, I had to raise volume about 2 "click" when changing from MX980 to MX985. I like the cable and plug better on the MX985 so I'm glad I managed to find a pair.

If you ask different people about which earbud is the best you will probably get different answers. I have some experience both with older/vintage earbuds and with earbuds currently sold, and for me TM7 is no 1. But I have not heard all top Aiwa earbuds from the 80's and 90's.
From newer earbud models, I would say that I like MX980/985 the best with VE Zen 1 coming really close. Shozy Cygnus is also up there as well as my "budget favorite" Tomahawk...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back