Earbuds Round-Up
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:10 AM Post #35,686 of 75,384
I have the t2, what’s this mod?
r/headphones on reddit have many posts about it might find the 'how to' on a google search of that subreddit.

It's basically blocking one of the ports near the frontside nozzle. You can do it with tape/bluetack or you can invert the stock IEM tip and that seems to block it too. I think the bass gets like a 3-4db boost from 100hz and below.

I assume if you wanted a less substantial boost some filters (like tuning paper you can buy on aliexpress) would give you a boost too but one that's less emphasised.

But since the T2 by default is bass light, many seem to love this mod. Only downside of completey blocking it off is you increase airflow pressure on your ear, which may or may not be a wise thing to do. I think the filter option would lessen that effect.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 2:28 AM Post #35,687 of 75,384
Thanks! That's true for the Mojo and I enjoy it's sound enough to have kept and use it as my sole desktop solution since it was released, even though it has only SE (albeit 2 outputs).

I have totally zero experience with balanced, but since my SWD2+ came with the 2.5mm, it kept me curious as I wasn't sure I've heard it's full potential using the adapter all the time.

Moving forward, I also didn't want to take any risks with the final decision on the termination of the Zen Black, since it's really expensive in my books...

BTW, what made you go with balanced for the Shozy Stardust?

the SWD2+ adapter is nice, it uses the same cable as the earbuds itself to minimize any (if at all) changes in sound.

I have the t2, what’s this mod?

r/headphones on reddit have many posts about it might find the 'how to' on a google search of that subreddit.

It's basically blocking one of the ports near the frontside nozzle. You can do it with tape/bluetack or you can invert the stock IEM tip and that seems to block it too. I think the bass gets like a 3-4db boost from 100hz and below.

I assume if you wanted a less substantial boost some filters (like tuning paper you can buy on aliexpress) would give you a boost too but one that's less emphasised.

But since the T2 by default is bass light, many seem to love this mod. Only downside of completey blocking it off is you increase airflow pressure on your ear, which may or may not be a wise thing to do. I think the filter option would lessen that effect.

do you have the T2 Pro by any chance, Sean? I'm interested on how the treble sound is changed on the Pro. the T2's problem is not really the lack of bass, but too high volume of the treble. tune those treble down with eartips bore mod and maybe some teabag filters, then you can crank the volume up more and have a great bass. i tried the vent tape mod, but i don't like the change of the midbass sound, so i don't use that mod anymore

Sep 26, 2018 at 2:45 AM Post #35,688 of 75,384
the SWD2+ adapter is nice, it uses the same cable as the earbuds itself to minimize any (if at all) changes in sound.

I'm thinking of a cleaner solution, like getting an adapter without cables below:

img_1393.jpg

Not sure if it'll add too much strain with all the weight though...

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:06 AM Post #35,689 of 75,384
I'm thinking of a cleaner solution, like getting an adapter without cables below:

img_1393.jpg

Not sure if it'll add too much strain with all the weight though...

i prefer the ones with cables. better to risk slight change in sound than the added risk of damaging the input socket

Sep 26, 2018 at 3:53 AM Post #35,694 of 75,384
A few more impression:

Datura X: Warm with emphasis on mid range and below. Full sound with an Intimate vocal, but only decent treble. Slightly small soundstage. Roughly the same level of SQ as PT25 and EB2, mainly good for mainstream music with vocal.

ZEVA The Dragon 2.0: Evolved from Dragon S (*discontinued). Warm but tilting toward neutral, good extension, excellent vocal that is well textured, sweet and delicate but not particularly thick. Excellent soundstage with good openness and air. The only slight shortcoming is the upper vocal can gets a little grainy at time. Another flagship / champion level earbud that goes very well with mainstream vocal music. I paid less than RMB500 (<USD$70) for it and that's practically the steal of the year.

Last edited:
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:00 AM Post #35,695 of 75,384
A few more impression:

Datura X: Warm with emphasis on mid range and below. Fuall sound with a Intimate vocal, but only decent treble. Slightly small soundstage. Roughly the same level of SQ as PT25 and EB2, mainly good for mainstream music with vocal.

ZEVA The Dragon 2.0: Evolved from Dragon S (*discontinued). Warm but tilting toward neutral, good extension, excellent vocal that is well textured, sweet and intimate but not excessive. Excellent soundstage with good openness and air. The only slight shortcoming is the upper vocal can gets a little grainy at time. Another flagship / champion level earbud that goes very well with mainstream vocal music. I paid less than RMB500 (<USD$70) for it and that's practically steal of the year.

rmb500? from taobao then? care to share the link? found a few links but the varying prices and sellers worries me.

Sep 26, 2018 at 4:09 AM Post #35,696 of 75,384
Sep 26, 2018 at 4:46 AM Post #35,697 of 75,384
What's your source player friend? That will help decide which gear is most suitable :)
My sources are audinst mx1, smsl idea, fiio q1, and ocean bravo tube amp.

Hi, welcome to the thread. I'm more or less starting out as well, as I only have a few pairs of earbuds. However, the HD 600's have been my reference until I sold them yesterday. As much as I loved them, the low end distortion and what I can only describe as a barrel effect for the sound-stage kept me from keeping them around longer before they depreciated from sporadic use. I personally would suggest a pair of Edifier H180's as a good place to start. There are few reasons for this.

ONE MORE THING TO NOTE that is VERY IMPORTANT: What music do you listen to and how do you listen to it?

I listern pretty much everything that exist in music, but i love the most jazz, progressive, 70s rock. But also hip hop, pop, alternative rock, metal...i'm searching for a balanced earbud. I'm wainting for the monks plus and lite to ship from china so i will know i they fit my ears. The edifiers seems to me in the same league as the monks; what about some more expensive stuff?

Sep 26, 2018 at 5:04 AM Post #35,699 of 75,384
@Danneq I'm counting down your TM9 burn in hours!

Getting close soon! :)

It's pretty much over 120 hours now and that's enough. But I need time to sit down with them. I am taking time off work to stay at home with the youngest kid right now and my own time is very scarce. I can write mails and stuff like that but it's difficult to sit down and concentrate on something. I might get some time tomorrow. Will try to do it then. At least a short write up on TM9 and ZoomFred.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back