Earbuds Round-Up
Jan 5, 2018 at 2:18 AM Post #26,761 of 75,323
@dennisopk @DBaldock9
Thanks so much for clarifications. That clears the worriness then. I can say it is really a great decision for VE to go with 3.5mm TRRS instead and provide 2.5mm TRRS adapater for FOC. 2.5mm would be risky route to go as default due to it is more likely to get damaged for prolong usage than 3.5mm. Easy replacement is always a peace of mind and convenient for vast number of users.

Jan 5, 2018 at 9:37 AM Post #26,764 of 75,323
Is there a link for it, as I can't find them, i can see only 32Ω ones.

Their first production run used the 115Ω driver, but I think they may have had issues with the supply (either quality or quantity), and switched to the 32Ω driver.
So, I guess the only way to get a 115Ω model, is to buy one used, or possibly find a shop with "new old stock".

Jan 5, 2018 at 10:38 AM Post #26,765 of 75,323
@seanc6441 : I'm not sure that before you bought smartphone, you looked up to this thread whether or not. This thread might help you make a decision for buying next time. I ever tried LG V30+, LeMax, Vivo Xplay6. I find that XPlay6 is the most warm and the best source among three for my ears.

I heard that to trigger HIgh impedance mode for LG smartphone (Not 100%sure). You could plug jack in a half way to trigger this mode, or use 3.5-3.5 mm. ohm adapter plug first to cheat phone that it get infinity ohm. somekind like that.

I didn’t see that particular thread until after I purchased the phone but I read about LG V20 in other reviews and heard raving reviews about its SQ. It’s really good but better for headphones and in high impendance mode which I can trigger with adapter as you say but it’s a little awkward I have to carry 2 adapters + earbuds to use high impendance :/

But it’s still a nice phone just not a major upgrade over iphone 6s unless you use high impendance I think. I will buy the adapters and see how I feel about it overall.

These phones are easy to sell anyway because of how good they perform with headphones and it’s a cool phone too. Huge screen compared to my 6s!

Meizu Pro 5/7 was interesting me so that is an option if I sell this. The thread you mentioned said it has a warmer more natural sound and wider soundstage but slightly less detail maybe. Personally I think the V20 is detailed because it’s so lean and cold sounding you can hear everything clearly. But high impendance mode is supposed to sound slightly warmer and slightly better treble detail.

Some say low impendance only uses 1 of 4 parts of the DAC and that’s why you need to trigger High gain/high impendance mode for the best SQ. But others say that it only increases power as low as you turn on hifi mode it doesn’t matter if its high or low impendance... LG has never been clear about this although they do say low impendance is for power saving too...

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:02 PM Post #26,766 of 75,323
Yeah i know what you mean about it lacking weight, how is the lgv20? I was thinking about switching my S7 for it.

You should consider something like this (for $79):
EarStudio: World's first studio-quality Bluetooth receiver
https://www.ear-studio.com/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/

I like the sound of this:
Built-in Dual DAC
- Integrated dual AK4375a DAC
- Single-ended / Double Current output with 3.5mm connector
- Full Balanced / Double Voltage output with 2.5mm connector
- Effortlessly drives any type of headphones
- Supports analog volume control

Reviews are only starting to come out, but it might be quite good for a great price. And it would get rid of your phone woes.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:03 PM Post #26,767 of 75,323
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:14 PM Post #26,769 of 75,323
Their first production run used the 115Ω driver, but I think they may have had issues with the supply (either quality or quantity), and switched to the 32Ω driver.
So, I guess the only way to get a 115Ω model, is to buy one used, or possibly find a shop with "new old stock".

The initial explanation for the change I was given had to do with going with a more easily driven ohm due to many people using phones as their dap. I think I'll pick up the 32ohm version eventually just to see the changes personally as I love the build.

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:40 PM Post #26,770 of 75,323
You should consider something like this (for $79):
EarStudio: World's first studio-quality Bluetooth receiver
https://www.ear-studio.com/
https://www.head-fi.org/threads/radsone-earstudio.867366/

I like the sound of this:

Reviews are only starting to come out, but it might be quite good for a great price. And it would get rid of your phone woes.

FB_IMG_1515173622541-01.jpeg

I'm loving it so much that i sold my Cayin N3 after i bought it

Jan 5, 2018 at 12:42 PM Post #26,771 of 75,323
Jan 5, 2018 at 12:57 PM Post #26,772 of 75,323

I'm loving it so much that i sold my Cayin N3 after i bought it

There you go! Are you mainly using it in USB mode (as per the picture), or in Bluetooth mode? (I'd be mainly using it in bluetooth mode, like my Fiio BTR1).

Jan 5, 2018 at 1:00 PM Post #26,773 of 75,323
Jan 5, 2018 at 1:18 PM Post #26,774 of 75,323
Where did you purchase your EarStudio? I don't see any "Buy Now" type of button on their website.

It is being shipped out to the Indigogo and Kickstarter backers now, and not yet for sale to the general public. I'm not 100% sure when it will be for sale (maybe someone on the headfi thread could answer). Btw, I don't have one.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2018 at 3:45 PM Post #26,775 of 75,323
I dont want to derail this thread at all but i asked in the headphone amp section and got one person suggesting the hugo 2 which was out in left field as to what I as looking for so i figured id ask my earbud family.

I am looking to upgrade my amp and or dac. I am looking at either the Jotunheim, the Fostex HP-A4BL, an audio gd NFB-28, Aune s6, or maybe wait for the Monoprice Monolith dac amp (looks really impressive at least on paper). Or maybe something else if you have any suggestions?
I am looking for something with a balanced headphone out as i would like to give it a try also has to have SE out too. I think I would prefer a dac amp combo but separate is not out of the question just depends on cost I would like to stay under 1k preferably closer to 500 to 800 dollar range but can splurge a little more if its worth it.

Right now i have a magni 2 uber with a modi multibit.

Thanks for your help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back