Denon AH-D2000, Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro 250ohm, Beyerdynamic DT880 600ohm, AKG Q701, used Sennheiser HD580/600, or save & wait?
Sep 15, 2011 at 1:24 PM Post #16 of 36
I've found the D2000 to have very well controlled bass. Not bloated or flabby in any way IMO. What's weird is that this varies between sources and amps. When I used a docked Ipod Touch the bass was awful and actually made them too bass heavy. When using a CD player or DAC from my PC the bass was ALWAYS well controlled and not even remotely bass heavy. With a good source the D2000 should be less bass heavy than the M50 or very similar. I think the D2000 has better controlled bass than the M50 for sure. I've found the E11 to be a good match for the D2000.

From your above list I've tried the DT-880s, DT-990, K702 and HD-600. I haven't tried the 600 ohm DT-880 long enough because my old amp (Asgard) couldn't drive it very well.
I think I much prefer the bass of the D2000's bass over the HD-600.

Not sure why the D2000 seems to sound totally different for everyone else. For me it did seem to vary in sound between amps/sources. The HD-600 I had was nice, but kind of muffled sounding and not enough treble for me. D2000 is kind of boring for me, but still good. I found it quite balanced and close to neutral. Strange since this seems to go against what everyone else says?!

I haven't heard the Q701, but had the K702/K701 several times. I think from all these headphones I myself prefer the K702. It'd be hard to decide between the D2000 and HD-600. Just too hard to decide! D2000 did seem a lot more clear with better treble, but less forward mids. It's also much easier to drive and sounds good with portable amps unlike the K702.

Sep 20, 2011 at 1:08 PM Post #18 of 36
Thank you to the 19 people who have voted thus far.  I still have not made my decision, so if you haven't voted and have experience with 2 or more of these headphones, please vote and post.  If you use just one of them and have lost the need to keep buying headphones, then vote, too!

On a side note, has anyone experienced in both the 1) Denon and 2) the Beyerdynamics or Audio Technica, found the bass to be lacking in acoustic sustain?

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:25 AM Post #19 of 36
Keep 'em coming!  Looks like the AKG Q701 is on a slight up swing compared to before.  I must say, I'm a bit hesitant to really go for the Denon considering for another chunk I can I my Fostex converted to Thunderpants in the group buy coming up.  And considering ALL my other headphones are closed except the SportaPro, an open headphone does sound a little more appealing.  Still undecided, though.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:58 AM Post #20 of 36
I would only consider a closed headphone if listening around others, otherwise the compromise isn't worth it. If you do go with the Denon it has to be modded similar to that of the Fostex so regardless there will be an additional cost. Unless you're going to buy the most popular ultimately it will come down to taste.

In a nutshell...
D2000, thunderpant ~ very bassy (+4dB)
DT990 some additional artificial bass (+2dB)
HD600/DT880 very close to neutral (0dB)
AKG K701/Q701 I would consider bass deficient (-2dB)

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:02 PM Post #21 of 36

Quote:
I would only consider a closed headphone if listening around others, otherwise the compromise isn't worth it. If you do go with the Denon it has to be modded similar to that of the Fostex so regardless there will be an additional cost. Unless you're going to buy the most popular ultimately it will come down to taste.

In a nutshell...
D2000, thunderpant ~ very bassy (+4dB)
DT990 some additional artificial bass (+2dB)
HD600/DT880 very close to neutral (0dB)
AKG K701/Q701 I would consider bass deficient (-2dB)

The DT990 has less bass then the D2K? Really?
http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2141&graphID[]=2881

Sep 26, 2011 at 12:30 PM Post #24 of 36
I didn't vote as i haven't heard all of them but i love my DT990 i also like the D2000 but generally don't like closed cans, but if i had to get a closed can it would be the D2000.

Sep 26, 2011 at 1:26 PM Post #25 of 36
Quote:
To my ears it's more along the lines of this:

Well as has been mentioned before regarding the accuracy of graphs especially when comparing open and closed phones. All I did was match the volume at around 10k to show the actual FR when both phones are playing at the same volume.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:19 PM Post #26 of 36
I think if anything it's the range around 2-5k, since that's the range we're most sensitive to.  But in general I think it's impossible to match the 'volume' of two headphones just by matching certain numbers on a graph, since every song will be mastered and recorded different, with a different emphasis on different parts of frequency.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:37 PM Post #27 of 36

Quote:
Well as has been mentioned before regarding the accuracy of graphs especially when comparison open and closed phones. All I did was match the volume at around 10k to show the actual FR when both phones are playing at the same volume.

How did you match the 2 responses like that on a graph? Is there an option for it?

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:46 PM Post #29 of 36
Quote:
I think if anything it's the range around 2-5k, since that's the range we're most sensitive to.  But in general I think it's impossible to match the 'volume' of two headphones just by matching certain numbers on a graph, since every song will be mastered and recorded different, with a different emphasis on different parts of frequency.

Well the 5k is also matched but you're right it would depend on the music being played, in this instance it will of been a sine wave. Ultimately I'm saying the D2000 has more bass as it lingers, nothing wrong with that if you're into that sort of thing.

Quote:
How did you match the 2 responses like that on a graph? Is there an option for it?

Quote:
Photoshop :)  Just select all of the certain color and move it up or down.

Yeah Photoshop. I wish there was an option or they did it automatically.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back