Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Jan 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM Post #76 of 156
Quote:
would you say that the MDR-1R's have better ''mainstream'' sound than the M100's?

Yes. The M-100, from reading through many impressions, are more suited for EDM. For a broader genre of music, the 1R is better.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM Post #77 of 156
Beyer Custom One Pro's or 1R.

Jan 3, 2013 at 5:51 AM Post #80 of 156
thanks for that :) 

would anyone know of an ''audiofile'' headphones that cover some of the requirements im looking for.? $500 max bur preferably $450.

and thanks gorboman im seriously considering the 1Rs..

how do the 1Rs compared to the momentum's. 

how old are the sony Z1000? i can get them for around $400, worth it?. is there something of better value for money and is it what you think what im looking for sound wise.?

is there any differences between the Z1000 and MDR-7520 in sound.? they look identical. 

sorry for all the questions everyone..this is going to be my first serious buy in the coming month and i want to be 110% sure.  

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:53 AM Post #81 of 156
Tomorrow I'll be getting the Momentum's and i could compare them to the Grado SR80i if you'd like. I'm also a rock fan myself but i need a closed pair of headphones with good mids and from what i've been reading their pretty good for that.

Jan 3, 2013 at 8:27 AM Post #82 of 156
Quote:
thanks for that :) 

would anyone know of an ''audiofile'' headphones that cover some of the requirements im looking for.? $500 max bur preferably $450.

and thanks gorboman im seriously considering the 1Rs..

how do the 1Rs compared to the momentum's. 

how old are the sony Z1000? i can get them for around $400, worth it?. is there something of better value for money and is it what you think what im looking for sound wise.?

is there any differences between the Z1000 and MDR-7520 in sound.? they look identical. 

sorry for all the questions everyone..this is going to be my first serious buy in the coming month and i want to be 110% sure.  

Face it, you can't be sure, unless you have tried the 'phone. You might even hate a 'phone, that some other person likes. 

Jan 3, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #84 of 156
I am also looking for a can around that price range, i was leaning toward mdr-1r but then i got caught reading some psb m4u 2 reviews. I am not esspecially hot for the noice cancelling thing, but i am curious if there is much difference in terms of sound? Does anyone have any experience with those? I haven't found much user reviews unfortunately. I would be much grateful if someone can compare mdr-1r with m4u2.

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:15 AM Post #85 of 156
Quote:
I am also looking for a can around that price range, i was leaning toward mdr-1r but then i got caught reading some psb m4u 2 reviews. I am not esspecially hot for the noice cancelling thing, but i am curious if there is much difference in terms of sound? Does anyone have any experience with those? I haven't found much user reviews unfortunately. I would be much grateful if someone can compare mdr-1r with m4u2.

NC 'phones is in general no-go. You should at least not expect the same sound quality

Jan 3, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #86 of 156
Quote:

User reviews for PSB M4U 2. Several comparisons are there, though I'm not sure there is one vs Sony MDR-1R?

edit: and the PSB has Noise Cancelling but it's not just a NC headphone. There are 3 modes.

Jan 3, 2013 at 3:54 PM Post #87 of 156
So it seems like a lot of you are throwing the MDR-1R around as the best choice. What about Mad Dogs? Can anybody offer a comparison, or a link to one?

I just placed my order for the Mad Dogs, but if the MDR-1R is a better choice I can always return them.

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:21 PM Post #88 of 156
Quote:
So it seems like a lot of you are throwing the MDR-1R around as the best choice. What about Mad Dogs? Can anybody offer a comparison, or a link to one?
I just placed my order for the Mad Dogs, but if the MDR-1R is a better choice I can always return them.

MDR does seem like a good choice :) 

Can anyone offer me a comparison between the MDR-1R and the Z100/7520's please.?

what everyone as mentioned so far

1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100
6. Sony Z100/7520

which ones are a no-go so far, it's hard to keep on track on what people's opinions are when we change subjects very quickly. :) (if people can use that table and and express to me which ones i shouldn't go for than id really appreciate it)

Jan 3, 2013 at 6:47 PM Post #89 of 156
Well, the K702 is open-back, and all the others are closed; you'll be able to hear all the background noise, typing, talking etc. with them on, and they're probably not portable in any practical way. The 702 does have an amazing soundstage and superbly detailed sound (great for jazz) from what I've read, but I wouldn't say it is really comparable to, say, the Momentum, which is geared for portable users. They're just totally different. A well amped K702 is well beyond the Momentum on sound quality alone - I don't think they're in the same category.

As for the rest of your choices so far, the Z1000 seems like a very technically competent headphone, the Momentum and MDR-1R are top-notch portable/consumer headphones which should be just fine without amplification, and the Beyers and M100 have great sound with an emphasis on bass (quality and quantity, I'd say). I would guess that it'd be a close call between the Momentum and MDR, but I can't give you advice as I've never heard the Sony.

I think all your choices are great. You're probably reaching the stage where you should just pull the trigger on one, and it'll be good (because all your recommendations on that shortlist are top headphones in the price range). Buy one! I wish that I could hear more of those headphones (only heard the 770 and Momentum of the 6), but if I were in your position I'd close my eyes and just buy one of them. You may never look back.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back