Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Dec 4, 2012 at 6:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 156

Fluffy Muffinz

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-Fiers! 

im looking for a pair of headphones with preferably a detachable cable. I don't own a amp/dac so that may have to be included within the budget.

The type of music i listen to is hardcore/post-hardcore, alternative, metal/alternative metal, rock, techno, i do occasionally like listen to other genre's but i mainly listen to them. 

atm im not sure whether to go open or closed because iv never owned  a pair of open headphones but if i decide to go open ill probably go for the HE400's but in the time being im just asking  for any suggestions for closed headphones.

if there's anything iv'e missed, im more than happy for you to ask me any questions. 

thanks for reading this forum and i hope you's help me out :) 

Dec 6, 2012 at 6:10 AM Post #2 of 156
Quote:
Hey Head-Fiers! 

im looking for a pair of headphones with preferably a detachable cable. I don't own a amp/dac so that may have to be included within the budget.

The type of music i listen to is hardcore/post-hardcore, alternative, metal/alternative metal, rock, techno, i do occasionally like listen to other genre's but i mainly listen to them. 

atm im not sure whether to go open or closed because iv never owned  a pair of open headphones but if i decide to go open ill probably go for the HE400's but in the time being im just asking  for any suggestions for closed headphones.

if there's anything iv'e missed, im more than happy for you to ask me any questions. 

thanks for reading this forum and i hope you's help me out :) 

Well I will help this thread move up for more views, but again not sure what kind of closed would be good for mids and highs. Sony MDR 1R may be perfect and as always if you can find a pair of denon d2000/5000 used, go for those. 

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:08 AM Post #3 of 156
Heya,

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AKG K167
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R
Denon D600

If using strictly at home, consider a basic Fiio E10. If traveling, maybe a simple Fiio E11. If you want the best of both worlds (desktop & portability) then the Fiio E17.

Very best,

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:11 AM Post #4 of 156
Quote:
Well I will help this thread move up for more views, but again not sure what kind of closed would be good for mids and highs. Sony MDR 1R may be perfect and as always if you can find a pair of denon d2000/5000 used, go for those. 

Hmm...I heard Tyll from Innerfidelity said that the MDR 1R don't sound as good as the Momentum? Anyway, just my 2 cent :)

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:33 AM Post #5 of 156
Quote:
Heya,

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AKG K167
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R
Denon D600

If using strictly at home, consider a basic Fiio E10. If traveling, maybe a simple Fiio E11. If you want the best of both worlds (desktop & portability) then the Fiio E17.

Very best,

The Denon D600 is no good IMO.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:38 AM Post #6 of 156
AKG k267, well worth the premium over the 167 imo, they just released today in Denmark and I just picked them up. Over the 167 you get bigger drivers, detacheable cable, a little better build quality (aluminium), 3 bass/sound settings, club,studio,stage, more full sound.

And the 167 are already being rewieved as some of the best. But in all honesty, you really need to hear for yourself.

Dec 6, 2012 at 9:16 AM Post #8 of 156
Quote:
AKG k267, well worth the premium over the 167 imo, they just released today in Denmark and I just picked them up. Over the 167 you get bigger drivers, detacheable cable, a little better build quality (aluminium), 3 bass/sound settings, club,studio,stage, more full sound.

And the 167 are already being rewieved as some of the best. But in all honesty, you really need to hear for yourself.

Im also from Denmark 
biggrin.gif

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:39 PM Post #10 of 156
Quote:
quote.gif

Heya,

Mr Speakers Mad Dogs
AKG K167
Beyer DT770
Ultrasone HFI 780
AudioTechnica A900X
Sony MDR1R
Denon D600

Very best,

I would also look into the DT770. Check some reviews on the forum and see if you like how people generally find their sound signature.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:44 PM Post #11 of 156
sure will! ^_^ im not a fan of headphones with no detachable cable though..

is there a big difference between the Sony MDR1R [$299] and the MDR-1RNC noise cancelling headphones, i can get them for under $400. id love it if someone can tell me how good the noise cancelling feature is, i know that there's some headphones out there that do i crappy job of it.

Dec 6, 2012 at 8:16 PM Post #12 of 156
You Denmark guys, go write us some highly desired K267 reviews!! And pics!!! In the '267 thread!!

I just ordered some K167 today.

Dec 7, 2012 at 2:34 AM Post #14 of 156
Quote:
You Denmark guys, go write us some highly desired K267 reviews!! And pics!!! In the '267 thread!!
I just ordered some K167 today.

Well, I want the phone but...
Quote:
sure will! ^_^ im not a fan of headphones with no detachable cable though..

is there a big difference between the Sony MDR1R [$299] and the MDR-1RNC noise cancelling headphones, i can get them for under $400. id love it if someone can tell me how good the noise cancelling feature is, i know that there's some headphones out there that do i crappy job of it.

Noise cancelling is no-go.

Dec 7, 2012 at 1:05 PM Post #15 of 156
Quote:
Hmm...I heard Tyll from Innerfidelity said that the MDR 1R don't sound as good as the Momentum? Anyway, just my 2 cent :)

And Jude said that he preferred 1R over Momentum and K550, go figure.
rolleyes.gif
These are just personal opinions, you should always try audition if possible.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back