Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Jan 2, 2013 at 9:09 AM Post #61 of 156
Hey Fluffy,

The Sennheiser Momentum has come up a few times in the thread, and although I lack the experience to say it's one of the best closed 'phones in your price range, I really like mine and I think they're definitely worth a look if your ears are small-to-average sized (70mm or less, I'd say).

They isolate admirably for a portable headphone, and won't require you to amp them in order to sound great. Yes, they have a detachable cable, although it's fiddly, as it is a 2.5mm jack up top and there's a locking mechanism unique to that connector, meaning your aftermarket cable options are limited at the moment. I listen mostly to EDM and jazz, and they sound great to me.

I think they'll perform quite well for your genres, although given your music's more intense nature, I might also recommend you V-Moda's M-100, which has been receiving some serious praise on head-fi too. For your tastes: metal, techno and hardcore, I'd probably go with the M-100, which also has a detachable cable and will do without an amp/DAC. I also think they look cool, but that's just personal preference :)

In Australia, you should be able to find the Momentums at JB Hi-Fi. For the M-100s, you might have to look overseas. I believe both are worthy contenders on your short-list, although sadly I have never heard the Z1000 or the 702. Good luck!

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:13 PM Post #62 of 156
I think you should get the Beyer DT770's, and forget about the non detachable cable.
The cable they use is very high quality, and the headphones out of all those mentioned
are the ones that IMO will give you the most satisfaction from your choice of music.

(Up until a few months ago I would have recommended the Denon D2000's, but as noted
they're discontinued now and hard to come by.) 

The Sony MDR 1R's might be even better than the DT770's, but I haven't heard the
1R's so I can't say anything more on that. 
Moreover, there's an availability issue with the 1R's now as well.

The K702's need good amplification, and in any event they're not going to provide the
rumble and dynamic impact that's present in the music you like. They're phenomenal for
stuff like acoustic guitar, vocals, woodwinds...mid to high frequency music with lots of
detail which they deal with beautifully.

Jan 2, 2013 at 6:24 PM Post #63 of 156
Just a little preliminary impression on the K550 without burn in.

The bass is tight but slightly lacking in quantity. It's definitely there though.
The mids have a nicer tone than the Pro 900s. They lean more on the 'thinner' than 'full'.
Highs are almost sharp, which is saying a lot, considering that I've been living with my Ultrasones for the past year. May die down with burn in. Everything feels so much more detailed. For some of my EDM and J-Rock songs I tried, the attack feels a little slower than the Ultrasones.

I'm liking the K550 a lot, I can really appreciate how much more detailed these sound. 

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #64 of 156
Quote:
I think you should get the Beyer DT770's, and forget about the non detachable cable.
The cable they use is very high quality, and the headphones out of all those mentioned
are the ones that IMO will give you the most satisfaction from your choice of music.

(Up until a few months ago I would have recommended the Denon D2000's, but as noted
they're discontinued now and hard to come by.) 

The Sony MDR 1R's might be even better than the DT770's, but I haven't heard the
1R's so I can't say anything more on that. 
Moreover, there's an availability issue with the 1R's now as well.

The K702's need good amplification, and in any event they're not going to provide the
rumble and dynamic impact that's present in the music you like. They're phenomenal for
stuff like acoustic guitar, vocals, woodwinds...mid to high frequency music with lots of
detail which they deal with beautifully.

Would a good FiiO amp help with the bass.?

if you really think i should get the DT770's than is there a way to MOD them to have detachable cables.?

there might be a way for me to send them to a company who specializing in MODS

how would you compare the DT770 and the DT880.? 

Jan 2, 2013 at 7:57 PM Post #65 of 156
Quote:
Hey Fluffy,

The Sennheiser Momentum has come up a few times in the thread, and although I lack the experience to say it's one of the best closed 'phones in your price range, I really like mine and I think they're definitely worth a look if your ears are small-to-average sized (70mm or less, I'd say).

They isolate admirably for a portable headphone, and won't require you to amp them in order to sound great. Yes, they have a detachable cable, although it's fiddly, as it is a 2.5mm jack up top and there's a locking mechanism unique to that connector, meaning your aftermarket cable options are limited at the moment. I listen mostly to EDM and jazz, and they sound great to me.

I think they'll perform quite well for your genres, although given your music's more intense nature, I might also recommend you V-Moda's M-100, which has been receiving some serious praise on head-fi too. For your tastes: metal, techno and hardcore, I'd probably go with the M-100, which also has a detachable cable and will do without an amp/DAC. I also think they look cool, but that's just personal preference :)

In Australia, you should be able to find the Momentums at JB Hi-Fi. For the M-100s, you might have to look overseas. I believe both are worthy contenders on your short-list, although sadly I have never heard the Z1000 or the 702. Good luck!

thanks StyleElements,

don't worry i lack allot of experience as well..i like the look of the M-100's as do many others :)

i have considered those cans for while now, would they benefit from a FiiO E07K or an amp of matter of fact.?

as for the monumentums, for $449.95 at JB they seem a bit steep for what they are.

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:29 PM Post #67 of 156
Quote:
thanks StyleElements,

don't worry i lack allot of experience as well..i like the look of the M-100's as do many others :)

i have considered those cans for while now, would they benefit from a FiiO E07K or an amp of matter of fact.?

as for the monumentums, for $449.95 at JB they seem a bit steep for what they are.

No worries. The Momentums, though expensive for sure, can be found for much cheaper on sale. I managed to get mine for $300 from JB earlier. I'd order them off the 'net or from overseas from an authorised dealer where possible. The MSRP overseas is closer to $350, and in Australia it's 399 AUD from the Apple Store. I'd go overseas/online on them, Sennheiser's warranty is international.

I think (I don't really know amps) all cans benefit from amplification, but some, usually designed for portable use or as consumer headphones, don't require an amp to sound great. M-100 and Momentum fall into this category.

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:18 PM Post #68 of 156
Quote:
Would a good FiiO amp help with the bass.?

if you really think i should get the DT770's than is there a way to MOD them to have detachable cables.?

there might be a way for me to send them to a company who specializing in MODS

how would you compare the DT770 and the DT880.? 

Well, I'm assuming you'll be using an amp.
A good FiiO amp will help all around, but it's not going to make the K702 into 
a headphone with strong bass.  I really like my K702's, and have had them longer
than maybe any of my other headphones, but I don't listen to them where the music
has a lot of low frequency energy.  

They're just not made for that; they are what they are.

As for a mod to the DT770's - I don't know where you're located,
but here in the US there are literally thousands of places/individuals
who can mod them to have a detachable cable - replacing the stock cable
with a 3.5mm mini input so you can use any cable with a 3.5mm mini plug.

BTW, I'm recommending the DT770's as compared to the other headphones
you've listed that I've heard, plus your choice in music.

DT770 & DT880 are very different.
Will post more on that later as I must run now.

Cheers

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM Post #70 of 156
Quote:
Well, I'm assuming you'll be using an amp.
A good FiiO amp will help all around, but it's not going to make the K702 into 
a headphone with strong bass.  I really like my K702's, and have had them longer
than maybe any of my other headphones, but I don't listen to them where the music
has a lot of low frequency energy.  

They're just not made for that; they are what they are.

As for a mod to the DT770's - I don't know where you're located,
but here in the US there are literally thousands of places/individuals
who can mod them to have a detachable cable - replacing the stock cable
with a 3.5mm mini input so you can use any cable with a 3.5mm mini plug.

BTW, I'm recommending the DT770's as compared to the other headphones
you've listed that I've heard, plus your choice in music.

DT770 & DT880 are very different.
Will post more on that later as I must run now.

Cheers

cheers. 

Im located in NSW Australia so that's going to be an issue in trying to find a place to hook me up..

im keen for the the comparison on the DT770 and the DT880. 

i just want to let everyone know that id prefer a pair of headphones that have a neutral/flat sound signature (sorry if the terminology is wrong) so i can just EQ them to my liking. 

im not a bass head and i don't like an over whelming amount of bass but i like bass that's ''present'' (if that describes what im trying to explain)

Jan 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM Post #71 of 156
Quote:

cheers. 

Im located in NSW Australia so that's going to be an issue in trying to find a place to hook me up..

i just want to let everyone know that id prefer a pair of headphones that have a neutral/flat sound signature (sorry if the terminology is wrong) so i can just EQ them to my liking. 

im not a bass head and i don't like an over whelming amount of bass but i like bass that's ''present'' (if that describes what im trying to explain)

then how about a Fischer Audio FA-003?

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:09 AM Post #72 of 156
atm im kinda confused on what headphones to choose considering that all of you have suggested allot of great headphones... ><

1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100

note: i can get the AKG K702 65th anniversary Edition for $409 + they can be shipped to Australia! :D

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

Jan 3, 2013 at 1:41 AM Post #73 of 156
Quote:

cheers. 

Actually the DT880's and AKG K702's have a somewhat similar sound.
The major differences are more bass from the 880's,
wider soundstage from the 702's,
slightly more detail through the midrange and upper registers from the 702's,
slightly smoother midrange in the 702's.  

For rock/pop/electronica I much prefer the DT880's; I think
they're great for those genres; far better than the 702's.  
The 880's put out plenty of bass for open (or semi-open)
headphones.

Jan 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM Post #74 of 156
Quote:
atm im kinda confused on what headphones to choose considering that all of you have suggested allot of great headphones... ><

1. Beyer DT770
2. Sony MDR-1R 
3. Sennheiser Momentum
4. AKG K702
5. V-Moda M100

note: i can get the AKG K702 65th anniversary Edition for $409 + they can be shipped to Australia! :D

[size=1.7em]  [/size]

For a good mainstream sound, get the MDR-1R.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back