Best closed Headphones within $300- $450
Jan 1, 2013 at 8:35 PM Post #46 of 156
Quote:
Ahh ok I thought you were actually using one that had a collar like the original. 

OK = glad we sorted that out. 

Meantime, the cable I recall now is a Mini 5 by AudioQuest - out of production, it was a closeout
at musicdirect. 3 meter cable for $59.00 from $249.00 IIRC. 

Quote:
so how do the z1000 compare to the mdr1r?

A big debate going on in the MDR-1R thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r

I haven't (yet) heard the MDR-1R's, but definitely intend to very soon
(seems that they're available now only at full list price from amazon or sony)

Jan 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM Post #47 of 156
Quote:
OK = glad we sorted that out. 

Meantime, the cable I recall now is a Mini 5 by AudioQuest - out of production, it was a closeout
at musicdirect. 3 meter cable for $59.00 from $249.00 IIRC. 

A big debate going on in the MDR-1R thread...
http://www.head-fi.org/t/625015/sony-has-new-headphones-mdr-1r

I haven't (yet) heard the MDR-1R's, but definitely intend to very soon
(seems that they're available now only at full list price from amazon or sony)

Thank you sir! Just found one on Amazon for the $59 so I pulled the trigger. I have had good luck with AudioQuest in the past so I'm confident that I'll be happy with it.  I'm looking at the 1Rs too but I'm waiting until they're in stock through Amazon Prime before I order them. Amazon still says they are a month out. I'm a big fan of Sony's sound and I want something more portable than the Z1000s, I'm thinking the 1Rs are going to be right up my alley. 

Jan 1, 2013 at 9:20 PM Post #48 of 156
People seem to forget that OP wanted a closed headphone...
*Looks at all the HE400 recomendations

Jan 1, 2013 at 11:15 PM Post #49 of 156
Quote:
Thank you sir! Just found one on Amazon for the $59 so I pulled the trigger. I have had good luck with AudioQuest in the past so I'm confident that I'll be happy with it.  I'm looking at the 1Rs too but I'm waiting until they're in stock through Amazon Prime before I order them. Amazon still says they are a month out. I'm a big fan of Sony's sound and I want something more portable than the Z1000s, I'm thinking the 1Rs are going to be right up my alley.

Outstanding!
Very glad to have been of help. 
Feel free to PM with your thoughts when it arrives.

Jan 2, 2013 at 12:43 AM Post #50 of 156
Quote:
Quote:
Hmm...I heard Tyll from Innerfidelity said that the MDR 1R don't sound as good as the Momentum? Anyway, just my 2 cent :)

And Jude said that he preferred 1R over Momentum and K550, go figure.
rolleyes.gif
These are just personal opinions, you should always try audition if possible.

I prefer the K550 over the 1R and Momentum
tongue.gif

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:25 AM Post #52 of 156
Quote:
Hey Head-Fiers! 

im looking for a pair of headphones with preferably a detachable cable. I don't own a amp/dac so that may have to be included within the budget.

The type of music i listen to is hardcore/post-hardcore, alternative, metal/alternative metal, rock, techno, i do occasionally like listen to other genre's but i mainly listen to them. 

atm im not sure whether to go open or closed because iv never owned  a pair of open headphones but if i decide to go open ill probably go for the HE400's but in the time being im just asking  for any suggestions for closed headphones.

if there's anything iv'e missed, im more than happy for you to ask me any questions. 

thanks for reading this forum and i hope you's help me out :) 

I was going to recommend you the Mad Dog by Mr. Speakers, but seeing your preferred type of music, you'll probably want to try Beyerdynamic DT770 Anniversary Edition.

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:40 AM Post #54 of 156
this is what iv'e narrowed it down to: (in progress)

K702 65th Anniversary Edition/ K702 ( even though there open headphones if they don't leak heaps than im happy)
Sony MDR-1R 

I can't get the Z1000's on amazon to ship to Australia because there's no ''international shipping rates'' so im kinda out of luck in that department. 

amp wise im thinking of getting the FiiO E07K. 

anyways what's everyone's thoughts on my suggestions.? 

Jan 2, 2013 at 1:44 AM Post #55 of 156
Quote:
K702 65th Anniversary Edition/ K702 ( even though there open headphones if they don't leak heaps than im happy)

Q/K70x series definitely leak sound.

Is there a closed equivalent of Grados? Would most likely fit OP's music tastes.
My K550's will be arriving tomorrow so I can comment on that later.

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:05 AM Post #56 of 156
Quote:
Q/K70x series definitely leak sound.

Is there a closed equivalent of Grados? Would most likely fit OP's music tastes.
My K550's will be arriving tomorrow so I can comment on that later.

I appreciate the help rezel ^_^

ahh okay. i most definitely gathered that they would leak sound but if they don't leak ALLOT compared to other open headphones than that'd be okay. 

awesome!! i love the look of the K550's, im surprised that they don't have a detachable cable though especially when they were only released in 2012..

can someone please tell me why the beyerdynamic range of headphones all don't have detachable cables.. it's ridiculous imo.  

Jan 2, 2013 at 2:11 AM Post #57 of 156
I view it as ridiculous how everyone thinks a detachable cable mod is viewed as Satan worshipping... Haha. (of course, I agree with you totally, it's not that hard for the manufacturers to do) I wouldn't want to mod a $300 pair of headphones either, but eventually I'd do it if it really bothered me, and since the headphones are $300 I would be extremely cautious, and do a wonderful job.

Jan 2, 2013 at 3:55 AM Post #58 of 156
Quote:
this is what iv'e narrowed it down to: (in progress)

Sony MDR-1R 

I can't get the Z1000's on amazon to ship to Australia because there's no ''international shipping rates'' so im kinda out of luck in that department. 

amp wise im thinking of getting the FiiO E07K. 

anyways what's everyone's thoughts on my suggestions.? 

I think you're going to find the 702's don't give you enough bass considering the types of music you like

Jan 2, 2013 at 8:48 AM Post #60 of 156
Quote:
how would you describe the bass.? 

I'd say just not satisfying. Not much rumble and punch, but I have heard that proper amping can help that out. Also, they seem to be a bit on the bright side. I was using it with the fiio e17

Users who are viewing this thread

Back