Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Oct 9, 2015 at 6:17 AM Post #2,131 of 2,310
Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice on a potential purchase of a pair of Ultrasones but I know very little about their current line up. My very first decent pair of headphones was Ultrasone DJ1s and I have memories of physically FEELING the bass warping around the ear cups... epic. 
Since then I've owned AKG K242HDs, and currently SHURE SRH 840s. 
To be blunt, the AKG's and Shures, while good headphones and great for some music, are just a bit bland. I'm craving a pair of lively fun headphones that will send a shiver up my spine. In my price range I've seen the HFI 2400 (semi-open) and HFI 780 and 680.

If anyone wants to weigh in I'd really appreciate it.

Oct 9, 2015 at 8:47 AM Post #2,132 of 2,310
  Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some advice on a potential purchase of a pair of Ultrasones but I know very little about their current line up. My very first decent pair of headphones was Ultrasone DJ1s and I have memories of physically FEELING the bass warping around the ear cups... epic. 
To be blunt, the AKG's and Shures, while good headphones and great for some music, are just a bit bland. I'm craving a pair of lively fun headphones that will send a shiver up my spine. In my price range I've seen the HFI 2400 (semi-open) and HFI 780 and 680.

Go for dj one pro. It is better, much better soundstage, better mids, better clarity, better dynamics. 

Oct 18, 2015 at 2:02 AM Post #2,133 of 2,310

The 580/680/780 line are very good and can be found at quite cheap prices. In regards to which one is best will depend an what signature you like. If you want some thunderous bass then the 580 is great, the dj1 is the same headphone in a different colour. The 680 is the most neutral of the 3 to my ears, that's the model I personally own, very balanced from top to bottom. The 780 is the most detailed and analytical but I found it quite harsh and prone to sibilance.
The pro 550/650/750 line can also be found quite cheap in some places, they have a similar sound to the Hfi line but are not as comfortable for those with larger ears. the earcups are round and a bit shallow compared to the hfi models which have deeper oval shaped earcups.

The hfi-580/dj1 and pro550/dj1 pro are all very good for the price and won't disappoint.

Dec 14, 2015 at 10:59 PM Post #2,134 of 2,310
For anyone interested, I just posted my first headphone review ever.

It's about the HFI-780 and can be found on the HFI-780 Appreciation thread. Lots of comparisons between my long beloved 580's and the new set of 780's.

Enjoy!

Jan 26, 2016 at 5:39 PM Post #2,135 of 2,310
I stepped into hifi headphone world with the Signature Pro. Good reviews, simple looks, and magnetic shielding convinced me. I found a "blemished" pair for $849.99 on zZounds.

Love it.

Wasn't sure if I was missing out on the hype of Sennheiser and Audeze so I did a serious audition on the HD800 and LCD-3 with my GMB/MJ2 Schiit stack. To my delight, I preferred the Ultrasone. HD800 sounded harsh to me and the LCD-3 created this weird suction that hurt my ears. LCD-3 did sound wonderful and the cushions were more comfortable, but the music sounded distant. My Sig Pros are magical like the sound is inside my head.

I had a friend over who would be described as a festival-hopping hippie with no audio equipment to his name. He loves electronic music and turned on something electronic. I saw him get a tear in his eye. A dedicated father and husband, he said if he had these 'phones, his wife and child would not see him very much. I gave him a try with my backup B&W P5 and he scoffed. I was surprised. He said the Ultrasone sounded twice as good. I said, well, it is four times the price, is it four times as good? Then I modified it to, well, the Ultrasones are a little overpriced and the B&W's are kind of underpriced, so yes, you could accurately say they are twice as good. He nodded.

I'm going to pay $400 to get them hard-converted to balanced. After doing the test on the other 'phones, I am confident in upgrading these as my mains.

Question to Ultrasone fans - if I were in the market for an open back Ultrasone to compliment my SigPros, what would you recommend?

Jan 26, 2016 at 6:01 PM Post #2,136 of 2,310
I know your friend feels, the Sig Pro were my first wow headphone, still hold a special place in my heart.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:41 AM Post #2,137 of 2,310
Hi !

I have the Performance 820, it's a heavy-bass headphone, with well-prononced sub-bass.  There is a little sibilance, but it's not very harsh yet.  Just be carefuly with its treble, because of its good attack !  Otherwise, I think it has the same characteristics than the 840, at the difference it's very plastic.

Jan 28, 2016 at 5:19 PM Post #2,138 of 2,310
So I ordered Pro 900s from the adorama deal around the beginning of the year. They finally got here yesterday. I plugged them in and was absolutely appalled by the sound I heard from both my computer and ipod. Today, I finally figured something out. Adjusting the audio channel slider makes an enormous difference. If I slide it either all the way to the left channel or all the way to the right channel, they sound is good. The closer I slide it back to the middle, the ****tier and more drown out everything sounds. What?

Is there any way to fix this, or is this how they're supposed to be? I wouldn't care if I could just leave it on either left or right channel, but there are certain parts that are channel specific so I'd miss out on those. With the slider in the middle, the only thing I can hear on most of my songs is one of the guitars very clearly. Everything else is very faint, if heard at all.

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:22 PM Post #2,139 of 2,310
recheck that your cable is in as far as it can be at the cup entry, happens a fair bit , sounds like what you are hearing

Jan 28, 2016 at 9:59 PM Post #2,140 of 2,310
It was in all the way. I made sure of that. I checked both cables on three different sources as well as a abundance of source material. I kept getting the same crappy sound. The funny thing is the headphones are known for bass and there's absolutely no bass when it's centered. If I go all the way left or right the bass, drums, vocals, etc all come back as if it were normal. Only difference is the obvious one channel experience vs both.

Jan 29, 2016 at 7:53 AM Post #2,141 of 2,310
My money is on an improperly screwed-in cable.

Jan 29, 2016 at 8:44 AM Post #2,142 of 2,310
  My money is on an improperly screwed-in cable.

Oh really? Please link me to a youtube video showing me how to properly do that then. Afterall, I am dumb, and I don't know how cables work.

Just curious, what college degree do you have that led you to that diagnosis? Especially after it's already been well established that's not the problem.

Jan 29, 2016 at 9:09 AM Post #2,143 of 2,310
  Oh really? Please link me to a youtube video showing me how to properly do that then. Afterall, I am dumb, and I don't know how cables work.

Just curious, what college degree do you have that led you to that diagnosis? Especially after it's already been well established that's not the problem.

No need to be rude pal, the good folks here are just trying to help you with your problem!

In every thread you have posted this issue, it all comes back to either cable or headphones...  This shows signs of a typical cable problem where the connections are not proper or is being used with a 4 pin extension cable. It also could be, that Ultrasone improperly wired the jack, these things happen.

I'd get a hold of Adorama for an RMA and let them know the headphones are defective.

Jan 29, 2016 at 3:06 PM Post #2,144 of 2,310
Originally Posted by AtomicFire /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Wow....

Jan 29, 2016 at 5:28 PM Post #2,145 of 2,310
  No need to be rude pal, the good folks here are just trying to help you with your problem!

In every thread you have posted this issue, it all comes back to either cable or headphones...  This shows signs of a typical cable problem where the connections are not proper or is being used with a 4 pin extension cable. It also could be, that Ultrasone improperly wired the jack, these things happen.

I'd get a hold of Adorama for an RMA and let them know the headphones are defective.

I understand, but from my perspective, he clearly wasn't. I appreciate all the other posts as they had helpful suggestions, but his did not. One of the previous posts was suggesting the cable could be loose, so I assured that I tried both cables and made sure they were properly connected. After this was established, he made that comment. I took offense because that to me is like saying "hey, moron, you sure you're smart enough to correctly connect a cable?"

I have already been attempting to contact adorama, but they are slow in responding.

I am not an electrical engineer, but I'd be shocked to find out that what he suggested was my issue. This considering both Left and Right channels worked 100% when the slider was on them. I don't see that happening when the cable isn't correctly connected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back