Ultrasone Fan Club! (Roll Call)
Apr 8, 2015 at 2:39 PM Post #2,101 of 2,312
  Yeah the HM5 pads are almost a prerequisite for all mobile headphones. How's the top of the headband feel? The one thing I don't like about the 780's is the the non removable cable, but I can change that easily.

Any other solid contenders for the the price? $250 and less for 40mm gold plated drivers seems like the best bang for the buck model that they make considering the materials used. Also, why does it seem Ultrasone is hard to find information about? Are they really that underrated?

Edit: also is that aluminum? I assume that's why reviews say it's heavy?

The top of the headband is fine on me, it doesn't bother me at all.

The cable can easily be made removable.

The cups are plastic with an aluminum veneer that scratches if you look at it the wrong way. The headband is made from a sturdy plastic which is great but does add to the weight a little.

Not a lot of love for the Ultrasone brand here on Head-Fi, you either love the sound or you absolutely hate it.

Apr 8, 2015 at 3:01 PM Post #2,102 of 2,312
  Yeah the HM5 pads are almost a prerequisite for all mobile headphones. How's the top of the headband feel? The one thing I don't like about the 780's is the the non removable cable, but I can change that easily.

Any other solid contenders for the the price? $250 and less for 40mm gold plated drivers seems like the best bang for the buck model that they make considering the materials used. Also, why does it seem Ultrasone is hard to find information about? Are they really that underrated?

Edit again: also is that aluminum? I assume that's why reviews say it's heavy? How's the rest of the construction since it looks fairly plastic-y?

i would put my money on dj series, it has more soundstage.. similar sound with hifi series.

ultrasone is very under-rated, and the company in a general sense is different. 

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:04 AM Post #2,104 of 2,312
  what model is not bright/harsh highs ? HFI-680 maybe?

No ultrasone is bright nor has harsh highs. nor sibilant. 

From where did you get the ideea that this is the Ultrasone sound?

Compared to Hd800 or Ie800, ultrasone has smooth and laid back treble. And this is not good, as I feel the need to pump the treble with +12DB from 8Khz to 20Khz to compensate for not having enough treble. 

I really wish Ultrasone would make a headphone with enough treble, like Hd800, or Sennheiser would make a closed back Hd800. I think that Ultrasone are the only headphones that are closed back, good sounding, and not very heavy (other flagships as much as sound good, strain the neck).  

Jun 23, 2015 at 8:42 AM Post #2,105 of 2,312
what model is not bright/harsh highs ? HFI-680
 [COLOR=333333]maybe?[/COLOR]

I own the HFI-680. I actually find them quite harsh and mildly prone to sibilance. Fortunatel6 what I like about the HFI line is their easy modification. I removed tape behind the driver to allow more air for increased bass. 2/4 were initially covered by solid tape. I left 3 open and closed 1 with transpore. I like the increased bass. The rest of the spectrum was virtually untouched. I feel like getting some acoustic foam to put between my ear and the drivers. It's been known to reduce 'hot' treble.

Check out the T50RP modifications thread to guide yourself in modding

Jul 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM Post #2,107 of 2,312
I really wish Ultrasone would make a headphone with enough treble, like Hd800, or Sennheiser would make a closed back Hd800. I think that Ultrasone are the only headphones that are closed back, good sounding, and not very heavy (other flagships as much as sound good, strain the neck).  

That is one of the rumours that I read on HeadFi. Let's hope it comes true soon before I pull the trigger on something else and it will be too late for me and others in my situation.

Jul 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM Post #2,108 of 2,312
Heya, can anyone tell me how pro900 perform on immersive and a bit of competitive gaming? How immersive is movie watching with those? I have dt990 and everything is perfect, but bass is lacking on some action movies and games. I heard that those are similiar in sound signatures and that a bass is quite more powerful that dt990. Can anyone have both and tell me how soundstage compare?

Aug 1, 2015 at 11:37 AM Post #2,109 of 2,312
Hi guys.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I read a review for the Ultrasone Go. They got a very good score. So my question is the Ultrasone Go or the new coming Ultrasone Performance 820. I heard that with the s-logic technology these headphones have a huge soundstage for a closed headphone. Any experiences, because I wanted to use them for gaming too.

Aug 2, 2015 at 11:02 PM Post #2,110 of 2,312
^ thanks for pointing out the " GO " model, never knew it existed.

Aug 3, 2015 at 6:45 AM Post #2,111 of 2,312
Heya, can anyone tell me how pro900 perform on immersive and a bit of competitive gaming? How immersive is movie watching with those? I have dt990 and everything is perfect, but bass is lacking on some action movies and games. I heard that those are similiar in sound signatures and that a bass is quite more powerful that dt990. Can anyone have both and tell me how soundstage compare?

Pro 900 is insanely good for gaming and movies. It's incredibly immersive and one of the best headphones aside from TOTL open headphones for gaming. EDM, gaming, movies and hip hop is where the Pro 900 has few peers. 
  Hi guys.

I'm looking for a new pair of headphones. I read a review for the Ultrasone Go. They got a very good score. So my question is the Ultrasone Go or the new coming Ultrasone Performance 820. I heard that with the s-logic technology these headphones have a huge soundstage for a closed headphone. Any experiences, because I wanted to use them for gaming too.

If you can stretch it with your budget, I would recommend you get the new Ultrasone Edition 8 Carbon. It is probably one of the best closed phones Ultrasone has produced.

Aug 3, 2015 at 1:04 PM Post #2,113 of 2,312
  Pro 900 is insanely good for gaming and movies. It's incredibly immersive and one of the best headphones aside from TOTL open headphones for gaming. EDM, gaming, movies and hip hop is where the Pro 900 has few peers. 
If you can stretch it with your budget, I would recommend you get the new Ultrasone Edition 8 Carbon. It is probably one of the best closed phones Ultrasone has produced.

Way above my price range. My Wife would kill me. I was looking arround 150 Euros. Not 1700.
eek.gif

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:00 PM Post #2,114 of 2,312
  Way above my price range. My Wife would kill me. I was looking arround 150 Euros. Not 1700.
eek.gif

Well the soundstage for the 820 will be big for sure. As the Go. It really just depends on the sound signature you want to go with. Ultrasone isn't known for making neutral cans except for their higher end range. I think the 880 is their most neutral headphone aside from the ED8 etc. 

Aug 3, 2015 at 3:04 PM Post #2,115 of 2,312

Hey goldenSHK, just wondering why you say the Carbon is one of the best closed cans Ultrasone has made? Assuming you've auditioned them; what can you tell us about the the Carbon's qualities?

I've slowly been saving up for a new set of Ultrasones but have been stuck wondering which is best: Signature DJ vs Signature Pro... and now vs ED8 Carbon. Your thoughts?

Anyone else care to input? For someone like me who:

- Listens to electronic music 95% of the time, but...
- Doesn't enjoy huge / disproportionate amounts of bass (I have HFI-580 and sometimes the bass is a bit too much... EQing required), and...
- Desires an extended treble range (580's don't quite have enough extension), but also...
- Is sensitive to 4-7 kHz siblance...

Which set out of the three would you recommend?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back