Earbuds Round-Up
May 29, 2017 at 3:18 AM Post #20,386 of 75,355
Thanks a bunch. That was super helpful. Out of your old Sony's which had the best bass? I imagine bass depth is an area that has improved greatly in newer buds compared to vintage... do you find that to be true or are these old Sony's actually fairly comparable to current TOTL earbuds in that regard as well?

E484 is the one with the best bass. It can still compete with a lot of current earbuds in the ~$100 category. Something like Cypherus CampFred beats E484 quite easily when it comes to bass depth etc. But for a long time E484 was the best bass earbud I owned. It is only now, in 2017 (and 2016) that I feel that the earbuds being released can beat those old Sony and Aiwas. I still hold on to my old Aiwa HP D9 since they have an amazingly big and deep soundstage. Something like Diomnes Lv2 (from small Indonesian DIY company ABnormal) comes very close, though.

May 29, 2017 at 8:32 AM Post #20,387 of 75,355
E484 is the one with the best bass. It can still compete with a lot of current earbuds in the ~$100 category. Something like Cypherus CampFred beats E484 quite easily when it comes to bass depth etc. But for a long time E484 was the best bass earbud I owned. It is only now, in 2017 (and 2016) that I feel that the earbuds being released can beat those old Sony and Aiwas. I still hold on to my old Aiwa HP D9 since they have an amazingly big and deep soundstage. Something like Diomnes Lv2 (from small Indonesian DIY company ABnormal) comes very close, though.

I ordered a CampFred 2 from Herry yesterday, and a Shozy BK about a week ago, so I guess I'll pass on getting anything vintage for a while to give my wallet a break. Still at some point I might try to pick up an E484 just to experience the vintage sound. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these old Sony's.

May 29, 2017 at 3:33 PM Post #20,389 of 75,355
I ordered a CampFred 2 from Herry yesterday, and a Shozy BK about a week ago, so I guess I'll pass on getting anything vintage for a while to give my wallet a break. Still at some point I might try to pick up an E484 just to experience the vintage sound. Thanks again for sharing your thoughts on these old Sony's.

Well, with CampFred 2 and Shozy BK/Stardust you will pretty much be covered when it comes to low impedance TOTL earbuds. CampFred is really really great and I hope to place an order for CF2 soon. And Stardust is just lovely with a big and deep soundstage.

I'm planning to visit my wife's relatives in Stockholm next year @Danneq. Perhaps we could have an earbud- focused mini meet :)

Sounds like a date! Me and the family might go to Japan for 2 months some time in Spring around March/April, but other than that I'm up for an earbud mini meet! You should consider summer. It's the best time of the year in Sweden. It's dark and gray 9 month a year, but summer is warm with long days.

May 29, 2017 at 4:30 PM Post #20,390 of 75,355
Sounds like a date! Me and the family might go to Japan for 2 months some time in Spring around March/April, but other than that I'm up for an earbud mini meet! You should consider summer. It's the best time of the year in Sweden. It's dark and gray 9 month a year, but summer is warm with long days.

Oh yeah, it's going to be summer for sure. We want our boys to meet their Swedish cousins. Need to wait for school to let out for the summer first. It'll be my 2nd trip to Stockholm. Nice city :)

May 29, 2017 at 10:41 PM Post #20,392 of 75,355
Don't give him high hopes. It's pretty difficult to anticipate when the Swedish summer week will happen from year to year.

They get a whole week? :wink:

That's sort of like how Winter goes, here in Houston, TX - it usually lasts part of a week, near the end of January, when the temperatures at night drop down below 45°F / 7°C.

When my parents and I went on holiday to the Lake District of the UK, during the last week of September & first week of October in 2011, we were told that Summer had just arrived - and it lasted at least the whole two weeks we were there. :slight_smile:

May 30, 2017 at 1:21 AM Post #20,394 of 75,355
Considering Selling the White ABnormal Labs Dietris 300Ohm, What would be a reasonable price for it?

If I hadn't already bought one, I'd buy it off you. The only thing I don't like is that the cable isn't quite as supple as I'd like, but I'm picky in that regard.

May 30, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #20,395 of 75,355
Threw @tjstyle's Nuansa A1 amp into the mix tonight :)

IMG_20170529_230427-01.jpeg

May 30, 2017 at 4:15 AM Post #20,399 of 75,355
May 30, 2017 at 4:29 AM Post #20,400 of 75,355
Anyone here who owns the Awei ES10m, Vido and Yincrow X6? Just grabbed Awei last week and bass is great, can go lower than most buds I suppose even when used naked. Curious how these 3 compares with each other esp. in the bass department.

@golov17 I see you've discovered and shared here the Pioneer SE-CE521 before. Wonder if it's not bass light? Can you compare with Cygnus or Monks+? I also grabbed a Pioneer SE-CE11 last week, loved the mids and highs on these, seems well balanced in these frequencies and definitely more detailed than what I'm hearing from the ES10m. Satisfying cymbals and I can crank up the volume without hearing a spike anywhere, unlike in the Monks+. Responds well in EQ if you want more bass. I'm hoping the bigger brother SE-CE521 has the same highs/mids and better bass.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back