Earbuds Round-Up
May 27, 2017 at 11:41 PM Post #20,371 of 75,401
I've now got a set of TY Hi-Z 650, and without any EQ applied, using JRiver MC22 to play FLAC files of my CDs through my iFi Micro iDSD - the Midrange and Treble seem to be well balanced, but there's just about too much Bass. :astonished: It's very good, clear, and detailed Bass, but I'm going to have to figure out how to set up an EQ in MC22, to reduce the Bass levels a bit. :L3000:

May 27, 2017 at 11:58 PM Post #20,372 of 75,401
I've now got a set of TY Hi-Z 650, and without any EQ applied, using JRiver MC22 to play FLAC files of my CDs through my iFi Micro iDSD - the Midrange and Treble seem to be well balanced, but there's just about too much Bass. :astonished: It's very good, clear, and detailed Bass, but I'm going to have to figure out how to set up an EQ in MC22, to reduce the Bass levels a bit. :L3000:

With iDSD's Bass Boost off?

That actually makes me more interested in these. I've read that they're neutral, which people often use to describe bass-shy, treble-happy sound signature. Sounds like these are more on the warm side of neutral. Nice :)

May 28, 2017 at 1:20 AM Post #20,373 of 75,401
With iDSD's Bass Boost off?

That actually makes me more interested in these. I've read that they're neutral, which people often use to describe bass-shy, treble-happy sound signature. Sounds like these are more on the warm side of neutral. Nice :)

XBass & 3D are both switched Off on the iDSD.

May 28, 2017 at 2:15 AM Post #20,374 of 75,401
Stuff on the way from Phobia Audio in Indonesia

FB_IMG_1495950161250.jpg

Some sweet-looking bespoke earbuds

FB_IMG_1495950108232.jpg

And a couple beautiful interconnects

Attachments

• IMG_20170527_162902_Bokeh.jpg
    IMG_20170527_162902_Bokeh.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
May 28, 2017 at 5:37 AM Post #20,375 of 75,401
May 28, 2017 at 5:59 AM Post #20,376 of 75,401
hi
i bought rose masya carbon few weeks ago.but i sold because of bright sound.i used to listen on high volume level on before in canal phones.on higer volumes rose masya is very bright for me and fatiguing for me. and i listen long term.so i need new earphone but i want detachable earbuds so i have 2 alternatives.i have 2 in my list:
1 DaiK DK-Song 2 Svara-L
clios said about svara l:relaxing,musical, wide sound stage and contender level earbud) so this look for my likes but there is a wearing problem for me. do i have to wear this svara l as in below photo??:look default wear .but question is:i use earbud with earhook so if i wear this svara l downstyle(connection part will be at downside) with hook ,will be problem?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct...Npu2X-4VIK0k-x2GBe_0z4pg&ust=1496050738691910

and other my question: do you recommend DaiK DK-Song?what are comment about DaiK DK-Song(clios put this earbud on great level but about is it bright and fatigueing soundstage?
thanks

May 28, 2017 at 6:43 AM Post #20,377 of 75,401
hi
i bought rose masya carbon few weeks ago.but i sold because of bright sound.i used to listen on high volume level on before in canal phones.on higer volumes rose masya is very bright for me and fatiguing for me. and i listen long term.so i need new earphone but i want detachable earbuds so i have 2 alternatives.i have 2 in my list:
1 DaiK DK-Song 2 Svara-L
clios said about svara l:relaxing,musical, wide sound stage and contender level earbud) so this look for my likes but there is a wearing problem for me. do i have to wear this svara l as in below photo??:look default wear .but question is:i use earbud with earhook so if i wear this svara l downstyle(connection part will be at downside) with hook ,will be problem?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwiLiPu5pZLUAhVClxoKHS-BDGAQjRwIBw&url=https://twitter.com/hulang9078/status/856501762244526080&psig=AFQjCNGA5sNpu2X-4VIK0k-x2GBe_0z4pg&ust=1496050738691910

and other my question: do you recommend DaiK DK-Song?what are comment about DaiK DK-Song(clios put this earbud on great level but about is it bright and fatigueing soundstage?
thanks

I've currently got two earbuds with MMCX connectors - the **** PT15, and the Daik DK-Song - and I've ordered the Svara L.

As I posted about a week ago, I had bought a set of **** PT15 last Fall - and while I didn't find them as objectionably bright as others, they seemed to have reasonable Bass, but their sound was tilted toward the Midrange and Treble. Recently, one of the connectors came loose, so I ordered a replacement set from the same vendor as the first set. The new PT15 have a much more balanced sound, with considerably more Bass than the first set. I don't know if they've upgraded the driver or what (there's no mention on the AliExpress store page), but I really do like the overall sound of the current PT15.

The DK-Song has a smaller, wooden, housing than the PT15, and it's sound is similar to the first set of PT15 - some Bass, but definitely tilted toward the Midrange and Treble.

It looks like, from the photos of the Svara L, that the earbuds have a mirror image MMCX connector layout - so you should be able to just switch which ear you use the earbud in, depending on whether you want to wear the cable going over-the-ear, or hanging down.

I've always worn my earphones & earbuds with the cable over-the-ear, for a more secure and comfortable fit. And, I plan to do the same with the Svara L, once I receive them. :ksc75smile:

May 28, 2017 at 7:00 AM Post #20,378 of 75,401
thanks for your reply
sorry to not metion that i had senferpt15,they are also sounded to me bright (abit more than masya).

if DK-Song similar to **** pt15 i skipped it.
for confirm you said i can use it as mmcx connection part will be downside and will be no problem?.i prefer use with hook more pratical confortable to me.
and i hope your svara l will come soon so we can get info about its sq and brightness.thanks

May 28, 2017 at 7:46 AM Post #20,379 of 75,401
Here's something interesting - it's an earbud with a MMCX connector, for $62.63. This one has the original 150Ω red film PK1 driver, but you have to provide your own MMCX cable.
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/PK1...iginal-red-film-without-wire/32370417131.html

I bought it from another seller awhile ago, or at least one that looks and is described the same, but never really brought it up due to the seller's banned nature. Now that someone else is selling it I can mention it. Well, this one will by no means be bassy. It's actually bass-light compared to most I've heard, albeit not the least bassy I own.. Vocals are relatively decent but nothing spectacular, and not by any means forward sounding to my ears, at least compared to some of my favorite earbuds. I'd almost say this is good for orchestral work, but I feel the bass doesn't add enough weight to some instruments to make them properly stand out. Treble, and keep in mind I'm a horrible judge of treble, does by no means feel bright, so most likely it's neutral-ish on it's balancing.

Someone looking for a neutral balancing might find this earbud worthwhile, so perhaps someone with better ears might argue it's a cheaper alternative to something like MX 985.

I should put the disclaimer I'm a fun-oriented listener rather than detail-oriented, so keep that in mind as this earbud doesn't suit me, but I imagine @Danneq would find higher value in it.

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:08 PM Post #20,382 of 75,401
I
Anyone in here own a Sony MDR-E484 or MDR-E472 ? I am curious as to how they compare to modern TOTL earbuds.

I recently sold my vintage Sony earbuds (E484, 282 & 252). E252 was my favorite of the bunch and all 3 can compete with most $100+ earbuds today. But my favorites among the current TOTL earbuds, Cypherus CAX black, CampFred & QFred, Diomnes Lv2, Shozy Stardust etc blow the old Sonys away. The vintage earbuds do sound different (a slightly more "dry" sound) and I have a soft spot for that special sound of the old Sony and Aiwa earbuds. But the current TOTL earbuds are just better soundwise. However, as collectors items you can never go wrong with E484 or 472...

Last edited:
May 28, 2017 at 2:33 PM Post #20,383 of 75,401
I

I recently sold my vintage Sony earbuds (E484, 282 & 252). E252 was my favorite of the bunch and all 3 can compete with most $100+ earbuds today. But my favorites among the current TOTL earbuds, Cypherus CAX black, CampFred & QFred, Diomnes Lv2, Shozy Stardust etc blow the old Sonys away. The vintage earbuds do sound different (a slightly more "dry" sound) and I have a soft spot for that special sound of the old Sony and Aiwa earbuds. But the current TOTL earbuds are just better soundwise. However, as collectors items you can never go wrong with E484 or 472...

Thanks a bunch. That was super helpful. Out of your old Sony's which had the best bass? I imagine bass depth is an area that has improved greatly in newer buds compared to vintage... do you find that to be true or are these old Sony's actually fairly comparable to current TOTL earbuds in that regard as well?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back