Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 25, 2013 at 5:35 AM Post #25,681 of 42,298
Quote:
I have the stock tube combination in my wa5, hopefully this is the reason the system sounds thin.  Nobody seems to like the Ultrasone brand with wa5, I agree.   I am about to pull the trigger on the EML 300b or the Sophia mesh 300b power tubes and the EML mesh 5u4g or the Sophia 247b mesh as the rectifiers.  I need a cheaper hobby.  Maybe I should take up jogging.  
biggrin.gif
  Oh, Karen Mok is quite a sweetie, and Diana Krall too! 

I have the the EML300B Mesh.  The EML300B XLS is EML's answer to the carbon Sophia Royal Princess 300B.  I've yet to see a review that places either above the EML 300B Mesh.  

I've owned the Sophia Princess 274 -- It's no match for the EML 5U4G, IMO.  The EML has more depth in the soundstage on the WA5.

I'm tempted to try the Sophia Royal Princess, but that's a $1200 dollar experiment that would alternatively put a pair of LCD2s on my head to compliment my HD800.  I'd buy the headphones over the tubes.  As much as I'd love to take one for the team and do a 300B showdown--- I'd rather have another pair of headphones.  My suspicion is the SRP delivers deeper bass, but the EML is a better overall tube, but I may never know for certain.

Someone else was asking about the PSVane 181 TII with the WA5.  I have a pair, but they're not being used at the moment.  I bought a pair of Sylvania 6SN7s which deliver deeper bass to my ears.  The PSVane is a smooth tube though.  I've done a lot of driver testing on the WA5.  The Sylvania 6SN7 is the best I've heard to date.

The other issue with the PSVane is the clearance between tubes is very very tight with the EML bottles.  You have about an index card's thickness between tubes.  Tricky.

May 25, 2013 at 6:12 AM Post #25,682 of 42,298
Quote:
I've owned the Sophia Princess 274 -- It's no match for the EML 5U4G, IMO.  The EML has more depth in the soundstage on the WA5.

+1

besides the Mighty 596, the EML 5U4G is my best rectifier, its definitely a step above the sophia. the sophia is open and wide, forward yet smooth with nice bass, but the EML has transparency, dimensionality, and depth which is better than sophia. sophia has a better bass, though its also more bloaty than the EML.

May 25, 2013 at 11:41 AM Post #25,683 of 42,298
I visited Wiwi Tubes in Hong Kong and man, it feels like Aladdin's cave.

In the end I left with a pair of Psvane CV-181T II and GEC 6080. There was a Marconi 6SN7 that looked like a black base B65 going for a song, but alas they only had one tube.

hey you made it. interesting i just got myself a pair of psvane cv181-t couple days ago. the smoothness is nice.

May 25, 2013 at 12:14 PM Post #25,685 of 42,298
Quote:

+1

besides the Mighty 596, the EML 5U4G is my best rectifier, its definitely a step above the sophia. 

I have a pretty good balance going right now with the EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier, the EML Mesh 300B and the Sylvania 6SN7 drivers in the WA5LE.  The EML 300B is a spectacular tube, but it is not punchy in the bass.  The Sylvania has terrific bass slam, and seems to be filling in the sound nicely.  The current tube setup leans more toward accurate than slam on the bottom end.  If I pull the 5U4G for 596's I'm afraid I will go bass lighter.  

May 25, 2013 at 12:34 PM Post #25,687 of 42,298
Quote:

I have a pretty good balance going right now with the EML 5U4G Mesh Rectifier, the EML Mesh 300B and the Sylvania 6SN7 drivers in the WA5LE.  The EML 300B is a spectacular tube, but it is not punchy in the bass.  The Sylvania has terrific bass slam, and seems to be filling in the sound nicely.  The current tube setup leans more toward accurate than slam on the bottom end.  If I pull the 5U4G for 596's I'm afraid I will go bass lighter.  

Perhaps, jc9394 can weigh-in or send him a PM regarding your fear of lighter Bass in the EML/UE swap on the WA5LE.

May 25, 2013 at 12:55 PM Post #25,688 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:

+1

besides the Mighty 596, the EML 5U4G is my best rectifier, its definitely a step above the sophia. 

The 596 goes pretty deep, I would be surprised if it goes lighter but interested in the differences.

May 25, 2013 at 1:22 PM Post #25,690 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

+1

The 596 goes pretty deep, I would be surprised if it goes lighter but interested in the differences.

+2

popcorn.gif

May 25, 2013 at 1:41 PM Post #25,691 of 42,298
Perhaps, jc9394 can weigh-in or send him a PM regarding your fear of lighter Bass in the EML/UE swap on the WA5LE.

The 596 definitely deeper than 5U4G, if you are looking for tight, deep bass get a Mullard metal based GZ34. :D

Both 596 and GZ34 match very well with 300B, skip the 274.

May 25, 2013 at 4:59 PM Post #25,694 of 42,298

Quote:

on my WA6-SE, i feel like the 596 has more extension than EML, it just goes a little deeper, and remains tight, clean, controlled, though it is a little bass light. the EML is also kinda bass light, but i think they're pretty equal in terms of bass quantity. bass is just not the EML's strong point..  it might be different on the WA5. also, this is just from normal listening, i haven't actually done in depth comparison between them. so overall, i feel like the 596 has better bass. 
Quote:
I'm so excited... my WA6-SE w/ sophia princess just came in!!! I'm installing the tubes right now. Can't wait to try it!

grats!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back