Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
May 26, 2013 at 11:35 AM Post #25,711 of 42,298
Well, it's a choke model (WA3+ sticker on it). That's all I can tell from looking at it
confused.gif

I must further investigate why hatch off hums not and will be looking into a new power tube then.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

May 26, 2013 at 11:47 AM Post #25,712 of 42,298
Do you use the Sansui as a preamp? - Silent One

May 26, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #25,713 of 42,298
That's good, WA3+ with choke have a quieter background. The cover thing is interesting. Sounds like the cover is changing the shape of the magnetic field....but in a way the power tube is picking up. I don't understand it and mine does not seem to exhibit that behavior.

Well, it's a choke model (WA3+ sticker on it). That's all I can tell from looking at it :confused:

I must further investigate why hatch off hums not and will be looking into a new power tube then.

Thanks for your help! Much appreciated.

May 26, 2013 at 1:24 PM Post #25,714 of 42,298
No posting much on Head-Fi, nevertheless really enjoying the WA22 I bought last August. For once I have a little story to share.

Having only used the dual 3-pin XLR output, it has taken until recently to notice that my WA22 was along the ones with a defective 4-pin XLR socket. I tried it about 3 weeks ago and the connector remained blocked, I had to open the cover and release the locking spring from the inside. Not much of an issue, however as I would like to use the 4-pin socket going forward I contacted Jack Woo. He was well aware of the issue. As I live in Switzerland shipping the amp for such a minor repair didn't make any sense, therefore Jack sent me the socket to replace myself.

So this afternoon, I took my soldering iron and opened up again the WA22. The replacement is really straight forward, although I was glad to have my dad with me as a third hand. For your enjoyment, some pictures from the open-heart surgery.

After removing the defective socket:

And the final result:

I am glad, I did this. It really was an easy issue to solve. Now back to musical enjoyment, the WA22 is heating up as I type.

May 26, 2013 at 1:34 PM Post #25,715 of 42,298
Quote:
For once I have a little story to share.

-snip-

Now back to musical enjoyment, the WA22 is heating up as I type.

May 26, 2013 at 1:55 PM Post #25,716 of 42,298
Quote:
That's good, WA3+ with choke have a quieter background. The cover thing is interesting. Sounds like the cover is changing the shape of the magnetic field....but in a way the power tube is picking up. I don't understand it and mine does not seem to exhibit that behavior.

Yes, nice choke.

The cover thing is really beyond my reasoning. Probably I must have a technical person look at it. If you (or other forum members) stumble on any ideas please PM me.
To clarify, the power tube is not picking it up. Cover off or on, the hum in the headphones is another animal.

May 26, 2013 at 4:41 PM Post #25,717 of 42,298
Quote:
Do you use the Sansui as a preamp? - Silent One

As, you have a lot of perusing to do on head-fi, I really tried to limit the pix shown... gots hundreds! I bought the Sansui receiver just after I placed my audio rig in storage, so I have yet to hear it in my system. Also, I placed it in the repair shop for a bit of restoration shortly thereafter.

Only tested inputs/outputs with iPod-line connector-HD650. I will periodically use the Preamp section with other amps going forward at times. Much in the same way I use my big vintage Pioneer amp - can use amp/preamp separately with other amps/preamps. If I can ever save enough, I'll let you know how it sounds hooked-up to the WA5.

I happen to have my 2 piece Sansui stacked, but in the pix below the black half on the right is the amp; left half preamp:

G33ka.jpg

May 26, 2013 at 5:45 PM Post #25,720 of 42,298
Quote:

As, you have a lot of perusing to do on head-fi, I really tried to limit the pix shown... gots hundreds! I bought the Sansui receiver just after I placed my audio rig in storage, so I have yet to hear it in my system. Also, I placed it in the repair shop for a bit of restoration shortly thereafter.

Only tested inputs/outputs with iPod-line connector-HD650. I will periodically use the Preamp section with other amps going forward at times. Much in the same way I use my big vintage Pioneer amp - can use amp/preamp separately with other amps/preamps. If I can ever save enough, I'll let you know how it sounds hooked-up to the WA5.

I happen to have my 2 piece Sansui stacked, but in the pix below the black half on the right is the amp; left half preamp:

G33ka.jpg

Saving for the wa5! of course then you will have to upgrade the tubes. that baby can take Sophia royal princess - another hole in your wallet. Id love to hear what it sounds like as a preamp threw the wa5. I just got tube upgrades for my wa2. I might post one up.

May 26, 2013 at 5:47 PM Post #25,721 of 42,298

Damn hole in the wall, i must fix that!

May 26, 2013 at 5:54 PM Post #25,723 of 42,298
that picture makes me miss my WA2

May 26, 2013 at 6:06 PM Post #25,725 of 42,298
Quote:

Nice, magiccabbage. But, are you sure that's not a gunshot hole from your mate for your audio spending habits? 
evil_smiley.gif

Na that was the moving of the old book shelf. I do get enough guff off my friends about audio gear though. At the moment i cant decide whether to buy the beyer T1's or a Japanese strat. The T1's will be sticking around but the the Japanese strat is rare enough and i know the guy selling it, the thing will be swiped up fairly quick............... what to do? 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back