Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jun 9, 2012 at 7:45 PM Post #21,706 of 42,298
I don't really want to run bootcamp on the Mac mini, but I'm having trouble finding something comparable to JRiver. I would need it to obviously play FLAC and be able to control via an iPad (not using a monitor). Any Mac people have suggestions?

Jun 9, 2012 at 10:31 PM Post #21,707 of 42,298
Quote:

Baby's Home!

Here a are a couple of pix of my WA2 post mod.  The bad tube was replaced with a fresh pair (thanks, Jack) and the second pre-out was added, along with a switch for the pre-outs.

First impressions: 

1. She sounds even better than before (that first driver tube must have been bad on arrival and only got worse until it failed), and images like crazy!  Miles' trumpet sounds pretty damn life like, as does George Coleman's saxophone!
  2. Tone and timing are outstanding - this is why I bought this amp.  When I first got it, I was not as pleased as I expected.  But, I knew what I heard at the show, so I was willing to give it time.  I'm glad it turned out to be the tube because I was beginning to have misgivings. No more!  This is great!
  3. I am not super impressed with the drill job for the second output.  I'm going to ask Jack about that. 
  4. I was not expecting the pre-out switch to act as an output selector.  It chooses between headphone and pre-out now.  Not sure if that is a problem for me, just not what I expected.  The reality is that I rarely, if ever want them both on. 
  5. I haven't connected my sub to the pre-out yet.  Those impressions will follow in a later post.  Right now, I'd rather listen than write!

Cheers!
L3000.gif

Welcome home!
beerchug.gif

Jun 9, 2012 at 11:47 PM Post #21,708 of 42,298
Quote:

Baby's Home!

Here a are a couple of pix of my WA2 post mod.  The bad tube was replaced with a fresh pair (thanks, Jack) and the second pre-out was added, along with a switch for the pre-outs.

First impressions: 

1. She sounds even better than before (that first driver tube must have been bad on arrival and only got worse until it failed), and images like crazy!  Miles' trumpet sounds pretty damn life like, as does George Coleman's saxophone!
  2. Tone and timing are outstanding - this is why I bought this amp.  When I first got it, I was not as pleased as I expected.  But, I knew what I heard at the show, so I was willing to give it time.  I'm glad it turned out to be the tube because I was beginning to have misgivings. No more!  This is great!
  3. I am not super impressed with the drill job for the second output.  I'm going to ask Jack about that. 
  4. I was not expecting the pre-out switch to act as an output selector.  It chooses between headphone and pre-out now.  Not sure if that is a problem for me, just not what I expected.  The reality is that I rarely, if ever want them both on. 
  5. I haven't connected my sub to the pre-out yet.  Those impressions will follow in a later post.  Right now, I'd rather listen than write!

Cheers!
L3000.gif

Are your pre-RCA-outs to hook up to a sub-woofer to listen to headphones with or just to use the Woo as a pre-amp for a speaker rig? As written it looks like you may use the two pre-outs to go to a sub and speaker amp both at the same time.

Jun 10, 2012 at 9:13 AM Post #21,709 of 42,298
Quote:
I don't really want to run bootcamp on the Mac mini, but I'm having trouble finding something comparable to JRiver. I would need it to obviously play FLAC and be able to control via an iPad (not using a monitor). Any Mac people have suggestions?

You can also try Paralles I use it on my mini, it works great.  

J. River is said to be coming out with a Mac version sometime in the future.

Jun 10, 2012 at 11:33 AM Post #21,710 of 42,298
Quote:
Are your pre-RCA-outs to hook up to a sub-woofer to listen to headphones with or just to use the Woo as a pre-amp for a speaker rig? As written it looks like you may use the two pre-outs to go to a sub and speaker amp both at the same time.

Yes, the pre-outs are for power amp and subwoofer. 

Unfortunately, all is not happy at home.
frown.gif

There is a pronounced shift of the image to the left.  It's as if there is a balance control adjusted left of center.  Could this be due to something easily fixable, like mismatched tubes (I only assumed a fresh pair of tubes was provided, maybe only one new tube was provided)?  Or, was something set awry when the second pre-out and switch were installed? 

Sorry if my questions are elementary; I have 35 years of solid state experience but this is my first tube amp and I don't know what I don't know.

Jun 10, 2012 at 1:06 PM Post #21,711 of 42,298
Quote:
Yes, the pre-outs are for power amp and subwoofer. 

frown.gif

There is a pronounced shift of the image to the left.  It's as if there is a balance control adjusted left of center.  Could this be due to something easily fixable, like mismatched tubes (I only assumed a fresh pair of tubes was provided, maybe only one new tube was provided)?  Or, was something set awry when the second pre-out and switch were installed? 

Sorry if my questions are elementary; I have 35 years of solid state experience but this is my first tube amp and I don't know what I don't know.

Sorry to hear that. Let the fresh tubes run-in for about 30mins and listen to it agian. If image shift still exist and you have only one pair of power tubes for the amp. 

1/ Check the interconnect cable from the source, make sure thay are connected firmly.
2/ Swap the L & R channel to test if the un-balance sound interchanged, these steps make sure the un-balance sound not from the cables and source. If problem still exist, it might be mis-matched tubes.
3/ Swap the tubes like the interconnect cable.

If you still hear un-balance sound in same channel, there should be something wrong with the amp, not source, cables or tubes though.

Jun 10, 2012 at 4:07 PM Post #21,712 of 42,298
Quote:

frown.gif

Very sorry to hear about this. My WA22 came back from service at Woo recently with issues as well. When they serviced it a year or two ago, I was very pleased and started the appreciation thread for them. It seems that there are some problems in the service department now, I suppose it's part of Woo's growing pains. My main issue is cosmetic rather than functional, so it's not as bad as yours but it will definitely affect resale value if not resolved. I will give a full report when this issue is resolved but I am not pleased ATM.

Hopefully you will be able to solve your issue without having to send your amp back to them, which is what I am trying to do as well.

Jun 11, 2012 at 1:26 AM Post #21,713 of 42,298
Jun 11, 2012 at 1:58 AM Post #21,714 of 42,298
Quote:
I thought I'd leave this here for fellow Woo owners to see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tung-Sol-6DE7-Dual-Dissimilar-Triode-Tubes-NOS-NIB-Tested-Matched-/270995896219?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f189d379b#ht_2435wt_1268

My TS 6DE7s are hands down my favourite tube for my 6-SE in terms of pure enjoyment, even beating out various 6SN7. 

(I have no connection to the seller)

No longer available! Cause I bought 'em! I got excited by the use of "hands down" and "pure enjoyment" and, sad to say, for this hobby getting out the door for $20 seems like a steal. At this point in my tube experience, I'd probably buy a ziplock baggy full of sand if it were priced under twenty and had Tung-Sol silkscreened on the front.

Glib silliness aside, I am running my (Silent One's) Woo Audio 6 Special Edition with a handful of 6SN7s through a pair of Glenn's adapters that S-O bequeathed me. This will be my first pair of 6DE7s. I feel like I am filing out a bingo card.

Jun 11, 2012 at 3:04 AM Post #21,715 of 42,298
Quote:

No longer available! Cause I bought 'em! I got excited by the use of "hands down" and "pure enjoyment" and, sad to say, for this hobby getting out the door for $20 seems like a steal. At this point in my tube experience, I'd probably buy a ziplock baggy full of sand if it were priced under twenty and had Tung-Sol silkscreened on the front.

Glib silliness aside, I am running my (Silent One's) Woo Audio 6 Special Edition with a handful of 6SN7s through a pair of Glenn's adapters that S-O bequeathed me. This will be my first pair of 6DE7s. I feel like I am filing out a bingo card.

nice!

i was actually thinking about buying them since they where really cheap and NIB. however, i'm happy with my Raytheon 6ew7 and gotta save my money llol.

Jun 11, 2012 at 4:05 AM Post #21,716 of 42,298
Quote:
Quote:
I thought I'd leave this here for fellow Woo owners to see: http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-Tung-Sol-6DE7-Dual-Dissimilar-Triode-Tubes-NOS-NIB-Tested-Matched-/270995896219?pt=Vintage_Electronics_R2&hash=item3f189d379b#ht_2435wt_1268

My TS 6DE7s are hands down my favourite tube for my 6-SE in terms of pure enjoyment, even beating out various 6SN7. 

(I have no connection to the seller)

Very nice to see you in this space, especially with new tubes, sand filled baggies... what's not to love?! 
biggrin.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 5:36 AM Post #21,717 of 42,298
Quote:
i was actually thinking about buying them since they where really cheap and NIB. however, i'm happy with my Raytheon 6ew7 and gotta save my money llol.

I am doubly pleased that I was able to remove the object of your temptation AND acquire some new tubes. Mashed potatoes, meet gravy.

Quote:
Very nice to see you in this space, especially with new tubes, sand filled baggies... what's not to love?! 
biggrin.gif

Thank you, SO-san. I felt like I had more than used up my allotment of "non-Woo-owner" posts but now, as an owner of a WA6SE, I suppose I've got license to mosey in more frequently. Might even speak my spoke every once in a while. As I told you via PM, the two hours of listening I was able to get in at home was heavenly. I shoulda brought it back to Malaysia with me.

Love the new avatar. Felix was a personal fave of mine as a kid. Felix with a bomb? Too good to be true.

Jun 11, 2012 at 9:42 AM Post #21,718 of 42,298
Quote:

Sorry to hear that. Let the fresh tubes run-in for about 30mins and listen to it agian. If image shift still exist and you have only one pair of power tubes for the amp. 

1/ Check the interconnect cable from the source, make sure thay are connected firmly.
2/ Swap the L & R channel to test if the un-balance sound interchanged, these steps make sure the un-balance sound not from the cables and source. If problem still exist, it might be mis-matched tubes.
3/ Swap the tubes like the interconnect cable.

If you still hear un-balance sound in same channel, there should be something wrong with the amp, not source, cables or tubes though.

I listened for several hours, switching interconnects and putting my old pre-amp back in the system.  Unfortuneately, it is the WA2.  The amp sounded great, except for the image shift left of center.  Today, I tried it again before sending an email to Jack and discovered a high-pitched whine as well.  Hopefuly I can run it back to them today and get the rear panel and balance issues corrected. 

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:23 PM Post #21,719 of 42,298
Quote:
I listened for several hours, switching interconnects and putting my old pre-amp back in the system.  Unfortuneately, it is the WA2.  The amp sounded great, except for the image shift left of center.  Today, I tried it again before sending an email to Jack and discovered a high-pitched whine as well.  Hopefuly I can run it back to them today and get the rear panel and balance issues corrected. 

Good luck.
beerchug.gif

Jun 11, 2012 at 12:58 PM Post #21,720 of 42,298
I crossed emails with Jack this morning and order a pair of the Woo Teflon 596 adapters for my collection. He said quiantities are limited so if you are interested hurry up and order.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back