Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 5, 2012 at 3:27 PM Post #18,616 of 42,298

Quote:
I have read this concern over finger prints and oils on tubes, and it is unfounded.  Would you expect soldiers to wear white cotton gloves every time they needed to change or re-seat tubes in their radios?  Plus, if you look at the Woo owner's manuals, they show someone seating tubes with bare fingers
basshead.gif

Bottom line, no need to worry.  Tubes can take a pretty decent beating.  I'm not saying to go ahead and abuse them, but they need to be babied like some people do.  Do you wear gloves to change a light bulb?  Do you turn on a light bulb and then only turn it off after it's been running for a minimum of an hour?  Are you scared of smoke ruining a light bulb?

logic: it's a wonderful thing!  
smile.gif
  i must say i have gone through this exact thought process but reading about this stuff makes you question your own thoughts.  after all, a tube is a tad more expensive than a lightbulb, no?  in any case, thanks for allaying my unfounded fears and reassuring my own initial thoughts.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:36 PM Post #18,617 of 42,298
Yep, tubes are more expensive than light bulbs, and they even work in a completely different manner.  I was just trying to make a point that many of us (me included) baby somethings more than they need to be, especially considering we beat the crap out of some things that give us years of problem-free service.

And another story for another time, but do we burn in our tvs?  Our cell phones?  I do agree that vacuum tubes and headphone diaphragms do need some burning in, but the extent of some things around here that are claimed to benefit from burn in makes me chuckle.  Do you need to burn in your fridge?  Your extension cords?  Your ceiling fan?

Quote:
logic: it's a wonderful thing!  
smile.gif
  i must say i have gone through this exact thought process but reading about this stuff makes you question your own thoughts.  after all, a tube is a tad more expensive than a lightbulb, no?  in any case, thanks for allaying my unfounded fears and reassuring my own initial thoughts.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:37 PM Post #18,618 of 42,298

Quote:
I have read this concern over finger prints and oils on tubes, and it is unfounded.  Would you expect soldiers to wear white cotton gloves every time they needed to change or re-seat tubes in their radios?  Plus, if you look at the Woo owner's manuals, they show someone seating tubes with bare fingers
basshead.gif

Bottom line, no need to worry.  Tubes can take a pretty decent beating.  I'm not saying to go ahead and abuse them, but they need to be babied like some people do.  Do you wear gloves to change a light bulb?  Do you turn on a light bulb and then only turn it off after it's been running for a minimum of an hour?  Are you scared of smoke ruining a light bulb?

x2
I've always thought that as well. When I was growing up I had a tube radio alarm clock. I must have knocked that radio off my bedroom table about 100 times trying to turn the alarm off. The chassis was cracked but the tubes never broke. I have never replaced tubes in the radio. It was my father's clock and he gave it to me when I started high school so that may parents didn't have to wake me in the morning. The tubes were covered in dust and grit and survived the war and my high school years. He also owned a Motorola stereo console with many tubes and we never thought about how long it stayed on or off before we turned it on or off. It survived the Beatles, Doors, and even Led Zeppelin. I only changed one or two tubes in that console before it went to the Goodwill in the early 1970s. And it was still kicking.

In fact I own several Woo amps and I turn them on and off within a hour, constantly. Sometimes it's only on for 5 minutes and sometimes 20 minutes right before I go to work and after I get out of the shower--the WA2 is used as a preamp connected to a Decware Taboo. And there's been times my WA22 has been on for 48 hours.

And in the past 2.5 years since my first woo, I've only had 1 tube go bad, and it was defective and under warranty.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #18,619 of 42,298
1) A halogen lightbulb ( type G9) is supposed to be handled without skin contact, I've been told in several lamp shops. But they get sick hot, nothing like a tube.

2) LOL

Quote:
....Do you wear gloves to change a light bulb? 

.......Do you turn on a light bulb and then only turn it off after it's been running for a minimum of an hour?  

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:47 PM Post #18,620 of 42,298
Good post.  I've always tried my best to own my gear and use my gear, rather than letting my gear own me.  If I want to use my amp for 10 minutes, I'll use it for ten minutes.  If I want turn it on and off a few times during an evening, I will do so.  After all, it's just an object that can be repaired or replaced.  I take care of things the best I can to avoid excessive wear, but I don't let babying my gear dictate my life.

Also, I noticed I left the word "NOT" omitted from an earlier post.  That was an important word!

Quote:
x2
I've always thought that as well. When I was growing up I had a tube radio alarm clock. I must have knocked that radio off my bedroom table about 100 times trying to turn the alarm off. The chassis was cracked but the tubes never broke. I have never replaced tubes in the radio. It was my father's clock and he gave it to me when I started high school so that may parents didn't have to wake me in the morning. The tubes were covered in dust and grit and survived the war and my high school years. He also owned a Motorola stereo console with many tubes and we never thought about how long it stayed on or off before we turned it on or off. It survived the Beatles, Doors, and even Led Zeppelin. I only changed one or two tubes in that console before it went to the Goodwill in the early 1970s. And it was still kicking.

In fact I own several Woo amps and I turn them on and off within a hour, constantly. Sometimes it's only on for 5 minutes and sometimes 20 minutes right before I go to work and after I get out of the shower--the WA2 is used as a preamp connected to a Decware Taboo. And there's been times my WA22 has been on for 48 hours.

And in the past 2.5 years since my first woo, I've only had 1 tube go bad, and it was defective and under warranty.

Feb 5, 2012 at 3:50 PM Post #18,621 of 42,298
Very true.  You got me on that one.  I use special mercury light bulbs in some of my microscopes, and those can never see fingerprints.  But, tubes can safely be manhandled and work fine for years.

Quote:
1) A halogen lightbulb ( type G9) is supposed to be handled without skin contact, I've been told in several lamp shops. But they get sick hot, nothing like a tube.

Feb 5, 2012 at 4:20 PM Post #18,622 of 42,298

Quote:
Very true.  You got me on that one.  I use special mercury light bulbs in some of my microscopes, and those can never see fingerprints.  But, tubes can safely be manhandled and work fine for years.

Excerpts from Halogen Lamp Safety:

The primary danger associated with halogen lamps is the bulb's high temperature. For example, a 300 watt halogen light bulb can reach temperatures of up to 970 degrees F, generating enough heat to ignite a paper airplane in just 56 seconds. In comparison, a standard 75 watt light bulb only operates at about 260 degrees F.

Avoid touching a halogen light bulb with your bare fingers. Even if your hands look clean, the natural oils on your skin can cause "hot spots" on the bulb that may lead to premature bulb failure and an increased fire risk.

I don't think we can worry about vacuum tubes igniting paper airplanes. They don't get as hot as halogen bulbs. In fact some of my tubes have paper Import Stamps affixed to the tube and they have never caught fire.

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:25 PM Post #18,623 of 42,298
Here's a short video I did on the WA3+, probably not that informative but still WOO related..

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:31 PM Post #18,624 of 42,298
lol nice. i wish i could have a red WA2 or a red WA6-SE...

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:40 PM Post #18,625 of 42,298

Quote:
x2

This is so true. What's different today, however, is the scarcity of audiophile worthy tubes. They can, should and do survive being mishandled... or manhandled if you prefer. Some simply want peace of mind 'cause some of these tubes ain't coming back.

Of the best practices I employ inside my listening room, none of them are necessary. 
eek.gif
 A waste of time? Hardly. For me, it is completely ceremonial. When luxuriating, ceremony can heighten one's experience. 
wink.gif
 Take tea, for example... 

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:49 PM Post #18,626 of 42,298
Here's a short video I did on the WA3+, probably not that informative but still WOO related..

So what was rolling around inside? :wink:

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:52 PM Post #18,627 of 42,298

Quote:

Of the best practices I employ inside my listening room, none of them are necessary. 
eek.gif
 A waste of time? Hardly. For me, it is completely ceremonial. When luxuriating, ceremony can heighten one's experience. 
wink.gif
 Take tea, for example... 

+1

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:53 PM Post #18,628 of 42,298

Quote:
lol nice. i wish i could have a red WA2 or a red WA6-SE...

I often wondered what a Copper, Silver & Brass Woo would look like. What's more, I wonder if Jack Wu would sell the cases upon request? I'd be interested in rolling a second or third look every once in awhile.
popcorn.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:55 PM Post #18,629 of 42,298
It turned out to be part of a tube, the guiding post in the bottom to be exact. I don't know where it came from though as none of my tubes are missing that. Most likely the previous owner had busted one off, but it's odd because this is the first time I've heard it.

Dubstep Girl, It's sad that Woo doesn't make different color cases any more. The red versions are much rarer from what I've heard. 

Right now I am driving a pair of K400 via the WA3+ and it sounds so nice!

Quote:
So what was rolling around inside?
wink.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 5:57 PM Post #18,630 of 42,298
yeah, would of been nice if they still offered it. jack could even make more money if he offered a custom color as an upgrade option (100 bucks for it or something?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back