Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Feb 5, 2012 at 6:10 PM Post #18,631 of 42,298
Yes I agree, he would make more money. I don't remember how much it used to cost but I think it was $50 extra for it.

Quote:
yeah, would of been nice if they still offered it. jack could even make more money if he offered a custom color as an upgrade option (100 bucks for it or something?)

Feb 5, 2012 at 7:05 PM Post #18,632 of 42,298
Cladding--

What's unknown is the costs and availability from the supplier; impact from non-moving inventory Woo Audio has to maintain. While it may or may not be cost effective for Woo Audio, here's what I know for sure - Black Woo's Rule!

(Silent One ducks in case of food fight...)
popcorn.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:30 PM Post #18,633 of 42,298
Ya Black Woos RULE!!!!

Quote:
Cladding--

What's unknown is the costs and availability from the supplier; impact from non-moving inventory Woo Audio has to maintain. While it may or may not be cost effective for Woo Audio, here's what I know for sure - Black Woo's Rule!

popcorn.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:55 PM Post #18,634 of 42,298

Quote:
Black Woo's Rule!

Speaking of food, every picture I've seen of a black Woo shows grimy, oily fingerprints all over. You can almost smell the buttered popcorn topping and pepperoni through the browser. SilentOne-san, comments?

This doesn't apply to the freshly deboxed ones. It would appear that Jack eats his Cinema Lover's in a separate facility.

I'm torn, I really am. The black Woos are sexy as hell, but the silver always seem cleaner. On the other hand, the black would provide a richer background for lovely glowing Sophia. If Jack went ahead and introduced colors this already overly-dramatic, color-picking torture would expand exponentially. The mind reels.

I must retreat to a hot tub and contemplate it all.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:33 PM Post #18,636 of 42,298

Quote:
good point.  but...  i think i saw/read somewhere that you shouldn't handle tubes with your bare hands as the oils from your fingers could "cook" when the tube is up to temp and potentially crack the glass.  wouldn't this also be the case for other oils such as tar?  or am i just being too paranoid?

as to my lungs, well, there is wishful thinking and then there is the harsh reality of addiction.  someday soon!  but, hey, i've said that many times before :wink:

I think it is easy to be overly cautious when we first enter the tube world.  I believed all of this and more when I started out, using rubber gloves while handling my tubes.  But the more you really think about it and the more you apply basic common sense the more silly it all seems.  Heck, if I see lots of dust on the top of a tube when taking one out I'll just wipe it across my shirt briefly before putting it back in the box.  My cleaning procedure for pins on a tube I just bought has become quite wham bam these days too, I'm not all that gentle with them because I no longer have the patience.  I've yet to harm any of them.

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #18,637 of 42,298

Quote:
I think it is easy to be overly cautious when we first enter the tube world.  I believed all of this and more when I started out, using rubber gloves while handling my tubes.  But the more you really think about it and the more you apply basic common sense the more silly it all seems.  Heck, if I see lots of dust on the top of a tube when taking one out I'll just wipe it across my shirt briefly before putting it back in the box.  My cleaning procedure for pins on a tube I just bought has become quite wham bam these days too, I'm not all that gentle with them because I no longer have the patience.  I've yet to harm any of them.

beerchug.gif

Feb 5, 2012 at 11:49 PM Post #18,638 of 42,298
Man guys I've been using my K501 and K400 on the WA3+ and it sounds mighty darned good! These old AKG's are quite something. I would say they are still on par with today's headphones. They really sound ahead of their time when you take their age into account.

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:00 AM Post #18,639 of 42,298

Quote:
Since all of my Woos are Silver. I shall sit quietly and admire my silver lining.
smile.gif

Beautifully stated, Clayton. And for the record, your Silver Collection is magnificent! As well as other Woo's clad in Silver. What I try to express is that they each will strike a different part of one's emotions, prompting a different reaction. I often hear people deciding (or decided) based on dust maintenance - I'm so happy for them! Me? It's about color & contour dust be damned.

Emotionally, I find the Silver Woo's to be striking; caressing. And the absence of color (Black) with the power and strength to stir; move me emotionally. 
tongue_smile.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:10 AM Post #18,642 of 42,298

Quote:

Speaking of food, every picture I've seen of a black Woo shows grimy, oily fingerprints all over. You can almost smell the buttered popcorn topping and pepperoni through the browser. SilentOne-san, comments?

This doesn't apply to the freshly deboxed ones. It would appear that Jack eats his Cinema Lover's in a separate facility.

I'm torn, I really am. The black Woos are sexy as hell, but the silver always seem cleaner. On the other hand, the black would provide a richer background for lovely glowing Sophia. If Jack went ahead and introduced colors this already overly-dramatic, color-picking torture would expand exponentially. The mind reels.

I must retreat to a hot tub and contemplate it all.

This means you overlooked my own pix of my Black Special Edition - no prints. We don't do (eat) popcorn or meat. 
wink.gif
 Only green tea, cold milk and gourmet ice-cream gets inside the listening room on different nights. 
biggrin.gif

Feb 6, 2012 at 12:17 AM Post #18,643 of 42,298

Quote:
Good post.  I've always tried my best to own my gear and use my gear, rather than letting my gear own me.  If I want to use my amp for 10 minutes, I'll use it for ten minutes.  If I want turn it on and off a few times during an evening, I will do so.  After all, it's just an object that can be repaired or replaced.  I take care of things the best I can to avoid excessive wear, but I don't let babying my gear dictate my life.

Also, I noticed I left the word "NOT" omitted from an earlier post.  That was an important word!

Yes I would agree with you with what you are using for your amp (no disrespect intended), but when you get into the higher end Woo tube amps and using rare nos tubes then that is a different ball game. If you want your higher end Woo amp and tubes to last you must take precautions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back