Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 24, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #14,101 of 42,298
Glenn, please refresh my memory on this. Is the 1641 RK-60 a drop-in replacement for a 5U4G? I know that Woo amps can take a wide range of replacements but if I have an amp that is not a Woo that uses a 5U4G, can I then use a RK-60 with your adapter in place of it?

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #14,103 of 42,298

Quote:
Glenn, please refresh my memory on this. Is the 1641 RK-60 a drop-in replacement for a 5U4G? I know that Woo amps can take a wide range of replacements but if I have an amp that is not a Woo that uses a 5U4G, can I then use a RK-60 with your adapter in place of it?

Yes all the parameters are the same as a 5U4 except it can handle like 7000 volts to the plates. Because the connections
are on the top of the tube and won't arck over in the base or socket. Otherwise it is identical to a 5U4.
Another interesting tube I found to replace a 5u4 is a United Electronics 596

Sep 24, 2011 at 8:55 PM Post #14,104 of 42,298
Wow. the United Electronics 596 kinda looks like an EML. Do you make adapters for that tube? Have you heard its sonic qualities? What kind of caps go onto those top pins (horns) or do you use clips? Thanks for discovering these obscure replacements for the 5U4G and telling us about them.

Sep 24, 2011 at 11:45 PM Post #14,105 of 42,298
OMG. I was dusting my Woo today, and noticed something peculiar.

See if you can spot it.

Is this like owning a postage stamp with Lincoln's head upside down? Or if I ever sell the amp (which I won't, not ever) will people post the Audiogon link to this forum with "fake" plastered all over it?

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:04 AM Post #14,107 of 42,298

dt880smile.png
  I wonder what the production run (batch) is for the stencil. Welcome back to the Bay, FlyingBear!

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:18 AM Post #14,108 of 42,298

Quote:
OMG. I was dusting my Woo today, and noticed something peculiar.

See if you can spot it.

Is this like owning a postage stamp with Lincoln's head upside down? Or if I ever sell the amp (which I won't, not ever) will people post the Audiogon link to this forum with "fake" plastered all over it?

It's on the website model, too! Wonder if someone has brought it to Jack's attention yet. I notified Jack just in case!
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:42 AM Post #14,109 of 42,298

I should have thought to look on the website, too. From there, I see that the black version in the product photos has an ampilier power supply, for the main ampilier. At least, in silver, I have an amplifier with an ampilier power supply.

Typos are strange: one can so easily miss a glaring one like this, despite staring at it for hours.

Quote:
It's on the website model, too! Wonder if someone has brought it to Jack's attention yet. I notified Jack just in case!
beerchug.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:07 AM Post #14,110 of 42,298

Quote:
I should have thought to look on the website, too. From there, I see that the black version in the product photos has an ampilier power supply, for the main ampilier. At least, in silver, I have an amplifier with an ampilier power supply.

Typos are strange: one can so easily miss a glaring one like this, despite staring at it for hours.

Already heard back from Jack (45 min ago)! He appreciates your input, FlyingBear (I informed him, as he know's I only have a 6 Special Edition). I only noticed the web model once you brought it to all of our attention - no one had identified or reported this before. It makes it harder to notice since it is in the rear. Then too, there's the glow of the tubes and sound emanating from the amp/headphone that has us preoccupied...

Sep 25, 2011 at 8:32 AM Post #14,111 of 42,298

Quote:
Wow. the United Electronics 596 kinda looks like an EML. Do you make adapters for that tube? Have you heard its sonic qualities? What kind of caps go onto those top pins (horns) or do you use clips? Thanks for discovering these obscure replacements for the 5U4G and telling us about them.

I just received some of these last week and haven't had a chance to make a adapter or listen to them. Going to to try to use pin plug jacks for the anode connections that I am going
to order tomorrow. I will let you know how this tube works out at the end of the week.
 With the problems people are having with their rectifiers I am trying to find one that will hold up and sound good and a bonus you can get these tubes for $15

Sep 25, 2011 at 9:58 AM Post #14,112 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:

Clayton, you are so great to dig out these tubes, they look marvelous. I really hope they are replaceable to the 5U4G and good sounding with much lower price.
beerchug.gif

Quote:
Yes all the parameters are the same as a 5U4 except it can handle like 7000 volts to the plates. Because the connections
are on the top of the tube and won't arck over in the base or socket. Otherwise it is identical to a 5U4.

Quote:
I just received some of these last week and haven't had a chance to make a adapter or listen to them. Going to to try to use pin plug jacks for the anode connections that I am going to order tomorrow. I will let you know how this tube works out at the end of the week.
 With the problems people are having with their rectifiers I am trying to find one that will hold up and sound good and a bonus you can get these tubes for $15

Look forward for your finding, Glenn. Thanks a lot.

Sep 25, 2011 at 10:19 AM Post #14,113 of 42,298
Well we really have Glenn's expertise to thank for helping uncover these and to make sure they are electronically safe to use in our amps.

And the added bonus is that they both look absolutely alien-cool.
They must be talking to each other....

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:06 AM Post #14,114 of 42,298

Quote:
Well we really have Glenn's expertise to thank for helping uncover these and to make sure they are electronically safe to use in our amps.

And the added bonus is that they both look absolutely alien-cool.
They must be talking to each other....

Well, absolutely agree with that Glenn is expertise on helping us to use these tubes safely on our Woo and makng us very nice adapters.

I start searching these tubes on internet.
biggrin.gif
 You are the man, Clayton.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2359glenn /img/forum/go_quote.gif

EDIT. My bad, I miss-read the message, sorry Glenn. Should be Gleen found that the United Electronics 596 to be replaceable to a 5U4G.   

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:12 AM Post #14,115 of 42,298

Quote:

Clayton, you are so great to dig out these tubes, they look marvelous. I really hope they are replaceable to the 5U4G and good sounding with much lower price.
beerchug.gif

Look forward for your finding, Glenn. Thanks a lot.

+2

I hope we end up with a good sounding tube at an affordable price.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back