Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 26, 2011 at 10:19 PM Post #14,131 of 42,298
Here is a link on EBay I found for WE300B's reissued (not the original I don't think).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-300B-Vacuum-Tube-Triode-New-Old-Stock-BOX-Very-RARE-/110746650063?_trksid=p5197.m1374&_

Also when buying NOS tubes or USED tubes make sure you ask for and get the complete test results and from what kind of tube tester and when it was calibrated, buy from a reliable source and make sure you know what the test results mean (fair,good, extreme)

I never see you guys posting the test results only the pictures of the tubes, maybe It would be a good idea to also talk about what is considered as fair, good and extreme test results are for those tubes.
wink_face.gif

Remember if a deal looks to good to be true then it probably is not a good deal.

Sep 26, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #14,132 of 42,298

Quote:
Here is a link on EBay I found for WE300B's reissued (not the original I don't think).
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WESTERN-ELECTRIC-300B-Vacuum-Tube-Triode-New-Old-Stock-BOX-Very-RARE-/110746650063?_trksid=p5197.m1374&_

Also when buying NOS tubes or USED tubes make sure you ask for and get the complete test results and from what kind of tube tester and when it was calibrated, buy from a reliable source and make sure you know what the test results mean (fair,good, extreme)

I never see you guys posting the test results only the pictures of the tubes, maybe It would be a good idea to also talk about what is considered as fair, good and extreme test results are for those tubes.
wink_face.gif

Remember if a deal looks to good to be true then it probably is not a good deal.

I do agree with your suggestion on buying NOS tubes. The sellers (mostly eBay sellers) would state clear how the test result and some will provide the model number and brand of what tube tester used to test with the tubes. But they rarely mentioned their tube testers are callibrated. BTW, I like your statement highlighted above.

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:26 AM Post #14,133 of 42,298
Will definitely add photos as I go along.  Was a bit surprised that blue glow turned up in a long exposure night shot, seemed more like a greyish haze caught in the bottle at first.

Quick question, just shut off my amp cause I was getting static in the left channel.  While it was powered I continued to get static even after I turned the volume to zero and shut off the source.  Then my cell phone about six feet away started ringing.  Is one of my tubes dying or could it be radio interference?  Or something else completely?

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:46 AM Post #14,135 of 42,298

Quote:
Will definitely add photos as I go along.  Was a bit surprised that blue glow turned up in a long exposure night shot, seemed more like a greyish haze caught in the bottle at first.

Quick question, just shut off my amp cause I was getting static in the left channel.  While it was powered I continued to get static even after I turned the volume to zero and shut off the source.  Then my cell phone about six feet away started ringing.  Is one of my tubes dying or could it be radio interference?  Or something else completely?

Could be other unknown factors I'm not aware of, but your mobile will definitely cause radio interference. And if you listen closely, it will emit interference sometimes 3 to 7 seconds before your mobile rings on the desk or in the car (my own observation). Keeping your mobile away from your Woo is always a good idea (for critical listening anyway...).

Using your land-line or second mobile, you can always stage a reenactment for test purposes.  
wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:47 AM Post #14,136 of 42,298

The blue glow is normal for some tubes.
http://thetubestore.com/blueglow.html 

Yes, on some tube amps like the Little Dots which can be sensitive to RF interference from cell phone or wireless routers if close enough depending on tubes being used.
You need to perform a bit more troubleshooting to narrow down if RF interference is the issue you are having.  
Quote:

Sep 27, 2011 at 12:53 AM Post #14,137 of 42,298

Quote:

wink_face.gif

In depth --

sillysally, that's a great idea! It would help some of us become more fluent...

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #14,138 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
Could be other unknown factors I'm not aware of, but your mobile will definitely cause radio interference. And if you listen closely, it will emit interference sometimes 3 to 7 seconds before your mobile rings on the desk or in the car (my own observation). Keeping your mobile away from your Woo is always a good idea (for critical listening anyway...).

Using your land-line or second mobile, you can always stage a reenactment for test purposes.  
wink_face.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by john57 /img/forum/go_quote.gif

The blue glow is normal for some tubes.
http://thetubestore.com/blueglow.html 

Yes, on some tube amps like the Little Dots which can be sensitive to RF interference from cell phone or wireless routers if close enough depending on tubes being used.
You need to perform a bit more troubleshooting to narrow down if RF interference is the issue you are having.  

If this happens normal, it should be weird in my case, I have my mobile phone always place close to my Woo and have never heard any interference no matter what kind of tubes I use.

Sep 27, 2011 at 2:31 AM Post #14,139 of 42,298

Quote:

If this happens normal, it should be weird in my case, I have my mobile phone always place close to my Woo and have never heard any interference no matter what kind of tubes I use.

This is good to hear! Your mobile, the mobile network and the frequency it operates on could be factors. Along with how much metal and other stuff inside your listening room. Environmental, in other words...

Sep 27, 2011 at 3:11 AM Post #14,140 of 42,298
Yeah, thought it was too much of a coincidence since I rarely get calls on my mobile.  Why would the static preempt the actual call by that much time?  Also, why would the interference only come through on one channel and not both?

Quote:

wink_face.gif

Sep 27, 2011 at 4:16 AM Post #14,141 of 42,298
Very interesting. EML 5U4G-M were swapped with 5AR4/GZ34 and it seemed that PSU was more stable and after 6hours drew less heat.
blink.gif

Quote:

According to Jack and Glenn, this is normal.  I will try to limit my session to under 4 hours.  That is just me trying to be careful...

Give it some more times, from memory when I used it on WA6, it sound very similar to EML 5U4G.

Sep 27, 2011 at 8:28 AM Post #14,145 of 42,298

Quote:
Gee at the price that the biding is going on for the WE300B  it is not cheap. There is no mention if the tube was even tested for shorts.

Lets start here, for NOS WE300B you would want to see test results of 72 or higher with the same number on two test for that tube, one test at 4.3V and a second test at 5.0V. If the number (in this case 72) changes at 4.3V from the test number at 5.0V then I would take a pass on that tube.
My original nos WE300B's have the same date code of  56=(1956)/ 26=(26th week of the year) 56/26. My test scores for 4.3V and 5.0V are 80 for one tube and 79 for the other and the emission on both are very low. Its rare to see these tubes with a test score of 80 or 79, what that means is they are very strong tubes and will probably sound better, depending on your amp and headphones or speakers.

As far as high bid just wait until the bidding is over if you think its costly now, but that end bid will pale incomprehension to what a older original nos WE300B will sell for.

Yes you have to Email the seller and see if you can pin him down with the questions I have stated and what ever you can think of.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back