Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Sep 25, 2011 at 11:16 AM Post #14,116 of 42,298

Quote:
Well we really have Glenn's expertise to thank for helping uncover these and to make sure they are electronically safe to use in our amps.

And the added bonus is that they both look absolutely alien-cool.
They must be talking to each other....

I really love the aesthetic of the ol' technology (vacuum amps/tubes).

Sep 25, 2011 at 11:57 AM Post #14,117 of 42,298
While I am almost certain it was me that introduced the 6F8G to head-fi, I myself learned of it from an eBay ad Glenn was running, IIRC.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:03 PM Post #14,118 of 42,298

Quote:
While I am almost certain it was me that introduced the 6F8G to head-fi, I myself learned of it from an eBay ad Glenn was running, IIRC.

And I learned of Glenn and his tube adapters from reading about the 6F8G that you introduced. What goes around, comes around--in a very good cyclical way here at Head-Fi! Thanks to everyone for pulling for each other.

Sep 25, 2011 at 12:56 PM Post #14,119 of 42,298
Swapped the Mullard GZ37s to Mullard GZ34s fat/black base in the WA5LE tonight for test , make sure they are working properly.
biggrin.gif
 Found that they run the PSU transformer much hotter than the EML 5U4G. Also from the very initial impression, the GZ34 are quite different sounding to the GZ37 that I listened last night. The GZ37s have larger soundstage and sound a bit softer but very comfortable in the highs to mid. The GZ34s are stronger in low spectrum, deep bass and impactful. Since both tubes are only burn-in for few hours to make sure they're work after received. Will keep them run-in for about 200hrs each pair and compare again how they sound.

Any other Woollies whom have these tubes, please chim in and share your impression is welcome, thanks.

Here is the Mullard GZ34 fat/black base.

PS. These GZ34s fat/black base are bigger than expected, just wondering they are similar to the Russia 5U4G but bit shorter. I was stunned when I get them from the seller, the boxes are as big as the GZ37s which are ST shape. Sorry about to newbie on that, this is my first experience in the Mullard GZ34, so don't blame me please.
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 1:40 PM Post #14,120 of 42,298

Quote:
Swapped the Mullard GZ37s to Mullard GZ34s fat/black base in the WA5LE tonight for test , make sure they are working properly.
biggrin.gif
 Found that they run the PSU transformer much hotter than the EML 5U4G. Also from the very initial impression, the GZ34 are quite different sounding to the GZ37 that I listened last night. The GZ37s have larger soundstage and sound a bit softer but very comfortable in the highs to mid. The GZ34s are stronger in low spectrum, deep bass and impactful. Since both tubes are only burn-in for few hours to make sure they're work after received. Will keep them run-in for about 200hrs each pair and compare again how they sound.

Any other Woollies whom have these tubes, please chim in and share your impression is welcome, thanks.

PS. These GZ34s fat/black base are bigger than expected, just wondering they are similar to the Russia 5U4G but bit shorter. I was stunned when I get them from the seller, the boxes are as big as the GZ37s which are ST shape. Sorry about to newbie on that, this is my first experience in the Mullard GZ34, so don't blame me please.
biggrin.gif

Dannie, I find the GZ37 has a similar sound signature to the EML 5U4G. The EML just sounds a bit fuller, but not that significant of a difference (at least to me anyway).

Sep 25, 2011 at 2:12 PM Post #14,121 of 42,298

Quote:
Dannie, I find the GZ37 has a similar sound signature to the EML 5U4G. The EML just sounds a bit fuller, but not that significant of a difference (at least to me anyway).

Yes, I feel this, too. Thanks for the remind, Golfnutz. Besides the EML sounds a bit fuller, every instrument or music it plays are bit bigger and thicker than GZ37. No wonder if the pair I own are not fully burn-in in the moment or this is what they sound. 

Sep 25, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #14,122 of 42,298

Quote:

Quote:
And I learned of Glenn and his tube adapters from reading about the 6F8G that you introduced. What goes around, comes around--in a very good cyclical way here at Head-Fi! Thanks to everyone for pulling for each other.

In following this thread, I too, learned of Glenn and his adapters from your exchanges... and got some!  
biggrin.gif

Sep 25, 2011 at 4:13 PM Post #14,123 of 42,298
Was just out exploring and stopped into a flea market - scored a Sylvania 5U4GB for $5. The guy had a bunch of tubes, but none I could use other tha this one. He was asking $13 for 3 as well. D'oh. Just threw it in my 22, it sounds really nice.

Sep 25, 2011 at 6:34 PM Post #14,124 of 42,298
Sounds like a good find.  Don't usually frequent flea markets but I'd imagine finding vacuum tubes at one is pretty rare.  Where was it by the way?  I only know of one flea market in Manhattan.

Quote:
Was just out exploring and stopped into a flea market - scored a Sylvania 5U4GB for $5. The guy had a bunch of tubes, but none I could use other tha this one. He was asking $13 for 3 as well. D'oh. Just threw it in my 22, it sounds really nice.

Sep 26, 2011 at 2:31 PM Post #14,125 of 42,298

Quote:
biggrin.gif

biggrin.gif

According to Jack and Glenn, this is normal.  I will try to limit my session to under 4 hours.  That is just me trying to be careful...

Quote:
Yes, I feel this, too. Thanks for the remind, Golfnutz. Besides the EML sounds a bit fuller, every instrument or music it plays are bit bigger and thicker than GZ37. No wonder if the pair I own are not fully burn-in in the moment or this is what they sound. 

Give it some more times, from memory when I used it on WA6, it sound very similar to EML 5U4G.

Sep 26, 2011 at 3:20 PM Post #14,126 of 42,298
Sounds like a good find.  Don't usually frequent flea markets but I'd imagine finding vacuum tubes at one is pretty rare.  Where was it by the way?  I only know of one flea market in Manhattan.

It was at the Brooklyn Flea (Williamsburg). The food there is better than anything else. I like tooling around flea markets though - I didn't go thinking I'd find tubes - and this one was less creepy than the ones I've been to in Manhattan. More arty I guess.

Sep 26, 2011 at 8:35 PM Post #14,127 of 42,298
Maxxed WA5 finally arrived this weekend with stock tubes, thought I'd share initial impressions.  Listened for a few hours and compared to my Schiit Lyr with Lorenz PCC88 tubes, felt it was slightly better in just about everything except for the highs, which came off sounding harsh.  Hopefully sound will improve when my new tubes arrive sometime next week.  Here's what I have coming:

EML 300B Mesh
EML 5U4G Mesh
Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB 1965

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #14,128 of 42,298

Quote:

According to Jack and Glenn, this is normal.  I will try to limit my session to under 4 hours.  That is just me trying to be careful...

Give it some more times, from memory when I used it on WA6, it sound very similar to EML 5U4G.

Thanks for the input, John. Will give them more burn-in but they do sound nice and with quite a margin better than the Fivre 5Z3 that I use previously. And from the finding of new tubes type from Clayton and Glenn, anticipated to have the testing result from Glenn on how to work with Woo.

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:48 PM Post #14,129 of 42,298

Quote:
Maxxed WA5 finally arrived this weekend with stock tubes, thought I'd share initial impressions.  Listened for a few hours and compared to my Schiit Lyr with Lorenz PCC88 tubes, felt it was slightly better in just about everything except for the highs, which came off sounding harsh.  Hopefully sound will improve when my new tubes arrive sometime next week.  Here's what I have coming:

EML 300B Mesh
EML 5U4G Mesh
Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB 1965

Congrats, xinque. The tubes combo looks very nice, let it burn-in for another 150 hrs (my own experience) and you will find the sound improvement, especially you have the maxxed version, both up-garded parts need more time to open up. Let us know how you like it then and we want some pics of your new toy.
beerchug.gif

Sep 26, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #14,130 of 42,298

Quote:

EML 300B Mesh
EML 5U4G Mesh
Tung-Sol 6SN7GTB 1965

Congrats on the purchase.  The Tung Sols are a bit on the aggressive side for treble as far as NOS tubes go, so if you continue to have trouble with the top after some burn-in a change here would probably help you out.  It could also just be the typical harshness of NOS tubes, which will go away soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back