Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 19, 2011 at 11:04 PM Post #13,006 of 42,298
WA5LE, Matched NOS pair of WE300B's (56/26), matched nos pair TSRP oval plate 6SN7GT (08/42), EML 5U4G mesh plate's.
LF, Quad matched NOS set of Siemens gold pin [size=10pt]West German[/size] 6922 (72).

Aug 19, 2011 at 11:06 PM Post #13,007 of 42,298

Quote:
WA5LE, Matched NOS pair of WE300B's (56/26), matched nos pair TSRP oval plate 6SN7GT (08/42), EML 5U4G mesh plate's.
LF, Quad matched NOS set of Siemens gold pin [size=10pt]West German[/size] 6922 (72).

Quick question...have you tallied the cost of those tubes?
smile.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 12:16 AM Post #13,008 of 42,298
What tubes do you guys use with T1 on WA22? I currently only have TS5998 and RCA 6AS7G with me, I assume it needs more gain? I'm going to run it on balanced so I wonder if that helps. 

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #13,009 of 42,298

Quote:
The LD I+ is a great capable little amp and a super way to get introduced to tubes.  If you're not ready to jump into a Woo it's a good place to start.  That said, it's not a great match for the HD650, much better with low impedance headphones.  I can't offer any direct experience with the VII+.

That said, while I still enjoy my LD it certainly takes a second chair to my WA6SE. And this holds true for the WA6 from more limited listening.

Not exactly what you asked for, but what it's what I can offer from direct experience.

Thanks for quoting me; I just realized that I had made a bit of an error, original post corrected:

You're not going to find many recommendations for a Little Dot tube amp in this thread
tongue.gif

Edit: just realized that the VII+ is a sold-state amp, my bad
redface.gif

Quote:
Anyone have any tips for touching up the paint on a black woo?  Not sure if I want to use straight black touch up paint as it might be a couple shades too dark.

Try a fine point black Sharpie, it won't stand out as much and you can still paint over it. You may want to periodically touch up the touch-up though.

Quote:
Yes. Count me in. Where can I rent a flat bed truck for the weekend? We'll discuss this when I return from The Netherlands. I just got back from having had a few beers with Deep Funk. The rain has stopped. The clouds have parted. Summer has once again returned to Amsterdam. Now I must rest for a few hours before I head on over to the Hard Rock Cafe for a burger.

Hoist a pint for me, I want to go back sometime
beerchug.gif

Quote:
smile.gif

If you have to ask you don't really want to know
wink_face.gif

Quote:
What tubes do you guys use with T1 on WA22? I currently only have TS5998 and RCA 6AS7G with me, I assume it needs more gain? I'm going to run it on balanced so I wonder if that helps. 

The 5998 is the higher gain power tube, along with the 7236.

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:02 AM Post #13,010 of 42,298

When I had my WA22+T-1 I used the EML 5U4G+Shuguang Treasues, stock power.
Quote:

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:07 AM Post #13,011 of 42,298
Hey guys, quick question for you...What tubes do you prefer on the WA6-SE? I was planning on getting the Sophia 274B but I also know that the Mullard GZ34 is popular with folks. As for power/drive, I'm stuck between the 6FD7s and 6EM7s. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any descriptions of sound differences in your experience?

Thanks all!

Aug 20, 2011 at 11:55 AM Post #13,012 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey guys, quick question for you...What tubes do you prefer on the WA6-SE? I was planning on getting the Sophia 274B but I also know that the Mullard GZ34 is popular with folks. As for power/drive, I'm stuck between the 6FD7s and 6EM7s. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any descriptions of sound differences in your experience?

Thanks all!

I've had a metal base GZ34 (the best gz34), a Sophia 274b, and EML 274 solid plate in both 6SEs at my current disposal..=

I'd say the GZ34 and EML are at logical extremes... the GZ34 is incredibly tight, punchy, bright, and intimate/closed in.  Using it with say a 6de7 is pretty crazy.  The EML has huge soundstage and imaging, much warmer and looser, but even complementing it w/ a 6ew7 it still doesn't 'thud out' down low.  It still rocks well.  They would be a personal preference and perhaps synergy w/ cans and source.  The GZ34 is just too much for me in the Woo (a regular mullard will be more relaxed), although I love it in the Sonett.  The Sophia splits the difference but is closer to the EML.  I do like this tube, but sway to the EML because overall it brings me closest to a speaker-like presentation.

Aug 20, 2011 at 1:59 PM Post #13,013 of 42,298

Quote:
     Quote:

I've had a metal base GZ34 (the best gz34), a Sophia 274b, and EML 274 solid plate in both 6SEs at my current disposal..=

I'd say the GZ34 and EML are at logical extremes... the GZ34 is incredibly tight, punchy, bright, and intimate/closed in.  Using it with say a 6de7 is pretty crazy.  The EML has huge soundstage and imaging, much warmer and looser, but even complementing it w/ a 6ew7 it still doesn't 'thud out' down low.  It still rocks well.  They would be a personal preference and perhaps synergy w/ cans and source.  The GZ34 is just too much for me in the Woo (a regular mullard will be more relaxed), although I love it in the Sonett.  The Sophia splits the difference but is closer to the EML.  I do like this tube, but sway to the EML because overall it brings me closest to a speaker-like presentation.

From what I can see the EMLs run about $250 or so...is there another distributor that shaves off some of the price? As for the 6EM7s and 6FD7s, how do they compare to something liek the 6DE7?

Aug 20, 2011 at 3:49 PM Post #13,014 of 42,298
No bribery required. I travel w-a-y too much, but am around in the Bay Area in late September for a couple of weeks and would be happy to get together.

Quote:
(Hmmm, let's see... Bears & Honey)  

I too, would like to get a listen to a WES at some point like... this Fall! I wonder if I could bribe FlyingBear with something good so that I (perhaps, shipsupt and a few others Bay side)  could have a listen.  
wink_face.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:20 PM Post #13,015 of 42,298

Quote:
smile.gif

Of-course I have, but even more important I have thoroughly checked out the seller of the WE300B's and to a lessor degree the seller of the TSRP's and the 6922's.
Anyway tubes like the WE300B's in there mint matched (date codes also) NOS condition are very rare and will only increase in price, also to a lessor degree the TSRP's.
imo the WA5LE the way it was made when I got it with the parts upgrades and customizing of the amp for the ALPS RK50 pot are no longer offered by Jack, and from what Jack was telling me at the time it is very costly to make the WA5LE both in labor and parts.
I am not a believer in having somebody other that the amp builder do the customizing.

And it is for those reasons why I have been looking for an amp that is close +/- so I could keep the WA5LE on the side lines.

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:26 PM Post #13,016 of 42,298

Quote:
From what I can see the EMLs run about $250 or so...is there another distributor that shaves off some of the price? As for the 6EM7s and 6FD7s, how do they compare to something liek the 6DE7?

I wish there were, but apparently only two suppliers in the US and they both charge about $15-20 to ship off the base $230 cost.  If it helps I'd say the improvement in sound this tube gains is similar to what I'm seeing from the upgrade package on my amp, which would have run about $600-700 or so... it's pricey for a tube, but the improvement is significant.

Quote:
Try a fine point black Sharpie, it won't stand out as much and you can still paint over it. You may want to periodically touch up the touch-up though.

Nice... will do.  Thanks. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM Post #13,019 of 42,298

No bribery required. I travel w-a-y too much, but am around in the Bay Area in late September for a couple of weeks and would be happy to get together.

I'm in Hawaii until from middle to end of September.  If we could do something from week of Oct onwards, I can be there too.

Aug 20, 2011 at 7:52 PM Post #13,020 of 42,298
For you TT / Woo people: I am in Leiden and Rene has taken me to a vinyl store. $3.60 for any record. $2.80 if you buy 20 or more. If a record has 5 records in its set (like classical) it counts as one record. Here are some pictures of the place. Sorry for iPod touch quality. Oh, and Silent One: I ran into one of your faves and immediately thought of you--Nancy! And had to take a picture of her section. 95% of the LPs are in excellent condition and all are washed before they are put out for sale.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back