Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM Post #13,021 of 42,298

Quote:
For you TT / Woo people: I am in Leiden and Rene has taken me to a vinyl store. $3.60 for any record. $2.80 if you buy 20 or more. If a record has 5 records in its set (like classical) it counts as one record. Here are some pictures of the place. Sorry for iPod touch quality. Oh, and Silent One: I ran into one of your faves and immediately thought of you--Nancy! And had to take a picture of her section. 95% of the LPs are in excellent condition and all are washed before they are put out for sale.

After a quick glimpse of Nancy, Dinah, Grover... I placed my hand quickly on my iPhone (reflex) and it hit me, you're overseas! But I would have called to thank you in S.F.! Mobile pix aside, it's great sharing in your joy of the moment. Sort reminds me of the former Leopold's Records, Berkeley...  
biggrin.gif

Between you, grokit and mikemalter, despite my grumblings over maintenance expenses (and kicking & screaming!), y'all are slowly pulling me back over to the vinyl side of the hobby.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:24 PM Post #13,022 of 42,298

Quote:
Hey guys, quick question for you...What tubes do you prefer on the WA6-SE? I was planning on getting the Sophia 274B but I also know that the Mullard GZ34 is popular with folks. As for power/drive, I'm stuck between the 6FD7s and 6EM7s. Can anyone shed any light on this? Any descriptions of sound differences in your experience?

Thanks all!

Both the 5U4G and 5R4GY split the difference between those two pretty well.  They can be bought on the cheap too.  With the 6EM7 being newly supported by Jack there are no impressions of how they do in the WA6SE as of yet unfortunately.  It should sound more refined and more resolving than the 6FD7 I would think, but not necessarily a better match for your other gear or expectations.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM Post #13,023 of 42,298
Wow, that sure beats the selection I found at Goodwill this morning! I am definitely hooked on this vinyl thing. Waiting for my VPI 16.5 to arrive to clean some of these old treasures!

For you TT / Woo people: I am in Leiden and Rene has taken me to a vinyl store. $3.60 for any record. $2.80 if you buy 20 or more. If a record has 5 records in its set (like classical) it counts as one record. Here are some pictures of the place. Sorry for iPod touch quality. Oh, and Silent One: I ran into one of your faves and immediately thought of you--Nancy! And had to take a picture of her section. 95% of the LPs are in excellent condition and all are washed before they are put out for sale.

I think an October date might be ideal. Summer will be behind us, but the major holidays won't be hitting. And it will hold us over until the big February meet. The downside is that it would be the same month as CanJam/RMAF.... Maybe I'll throw some dates up in meets forums to see if we can't reach some agreement, unless someone else was keen to organize (and assuming we shouldn't clutter this thread with those details?)?

I'm in Hawaii until from middle to end of September.  If we could do something from week of Oct onwards, I can be there too.

Aug 20, 2011 at 8:42 PM Post #13,024 of 42,298
I came across 3 pristine copies of Tommy by the Who, quite a few of Supertramp and Yes. An incredible collection of jazz artists. I am wondering if the Europeans aren't embracing the vinyl resurgence as we Americans are. Just a thought because they stock a lot of copies of artists' signature LPs that you would never find at an American used record store--and for under $4 too. (Alas, no Beatles though.) Oh, and as you can tell by the photos, there was almost nary a person there.

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:09 AM Post #13,025 of 42,298

Quote:

OMG!

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:29 AM Post #13,027 of 42,298

Quote:
I came across 3 pristine copies of Tommy by the Who, quite a few of Supertramp and Yes. An incredible collection of jazz artists. I am wondering if the Europeans aren't embracing the vinyl resurgence as we Americans are. Just a thought because they stock a lot of copies of artists' signature LPs that you would never find at an American used record store--and for under $4 too. (Alas, no Beatles though.) Oh, and as you can tell by the photos, there was almost nary a person there.

Not only do you have the selection over there and the store to yourself, but the albums that have actually been pressed in Europe are likely to be better in fidelity, mainly because of the higher-quality vinyl used over there with rock and pop of that era. In the US there was a lot of recycled vinyl used of questionable purity, compared to the virgin stuff used in European and Japanese plants. The US saved the good stuff for classical, the '70s to early '80s were the worst era in that respect which is a real shame because there was some great rock music back then. I'm not surprised that the Beatles are missing, those get snapped up by speculators that probably don't even have an interest in listening to them.

I actually have an old copy of that Who album, as well as the LP of the original movie soundtrack that featured Tina Turner, Elton John, and Eric Clapton. What about the Rolling Stones, any good ones? And what is the name of that store?

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:45 AM Post #13,028 of 42,298

Quote:

Not only do you have the selection over there and the store to yourself, but the albums that have actually been pressed in Europe are likely to be better in fidelity, mainly because of the higher-quality vinyl used over there with rock and pop of that era. In the US there was a lot of recycled vinyl used of questionable purity, compared to the virgin stuff used in European and Japanese plants. The US saved the good stuff for classical, the '70s to early '80s were the worst era in that respect which is a real shame because there was some great rock music back then. I'm not surprised that the Beatles are missing, those get snapped up by speculators that probably don't even have an interest in listening to them.

I actually have an old copy of that Who album, as well as the LP of the original movie soundtrack that featured Tina Turner, Elton John, and Eric Clapton. What about the Rolling Stones, any good ones? And what is the name of that store?

Overseas record pressings ~

Not surprising since the U.S. experienced The Great Vinyl Shortage brought on by the Opec Oil Embargo of 1973. Vinyl records were being pressed with the same regard as Hot dogs, Spam and other interesting meats were being pressed and consumed.  
eek.gif
  "We need it... throw it in there!"

(It was not my intent to offend anyone)

Aug 21, 2011 at 2:56 AM Post #13,029 of 42,298
Here it is:
eek.gif
http://www.velvetvinyloutlet.nl/velvet_NL/Home.html

And you have to have a plan, according to my friend, Rene. If you go and start to look from the As to the Zs you'll never get out of there. Make a list (he has a list of his top 100 LPs he has to get) and he goes there on the weekends and then picks up 20 at a time, no more or you'll never get out of there. I picked up 6 LPs and it took me 2 hours to actually make up my mind--I had no list.
frown.gif

Some of them had price tags that listed them at 3 to 16 euro. They were given to this store by other secondhand stores that couldn't sell them. As I said, they go for 2.50 euro each-you'll see the prices at the site.

Aug 21, 2011 at 3:44 AM Post #13,030 of 42,298

Quote:
Both the 5U4G and 5R4GY split the difference between those two pretty well.  They can be bought on the cheap too.  With the 6EM7 being newly supported by Jack there are no impressions of how they do in the WA6SE as of yet unfortunately.  It should sound more refined and more resolving than the 6FD7 I would think, but not necessarily a better match for your other gear or expectations.

Thanks for the suggestions! With my cans being the Big 3, my goal is to shave off some of the top end and give them some warmer, tubey sound. In essence, as long as the different cans' characters can flourish without being overly bright up top (like the k701s and DT880s to an extent like to be), I'm a happy guy. From what I understand, the 6FD7 is a bassier tube, correct?

Aug 21, 2011 at 10:27 AM Post #13,032 of 42,298
Aug 21, 2011 at 11:09 AM Post #13,033 of 42,298
Anyone play around with sorbothane feet?  It's supposed to be a magical dampener... basically I have a Metrum Octave DAC (http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/metrum/1.html) on the way which is a two box solution like the WA6SE.  I want to rest each section of the Woo over each section of the Metrum, but the Woo is 1.5" wider for each block and the feet are just a bit too far apart for comfort, thought I could knock out two birds w/ one stone so-to-speak by applying these pads closer on the underside, perhaps net a small sonic improvement.

Got a pack of 8 which appears to be the right density/size for the Woo for less than $18!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00516DGIG

Aug 21, 2011 at 12:20 PM Post #13,035 of 42,298
Don't try and shave off some of the price with the EML.  Go w/TubesUSA http://www.tubesusa.com/ELtubes.html  My EML fried 5 months after I bought it and George replaced it no questions and shipped the new one out.  Saving $20 on shipping+small lower cost won't be worth it in the long run.

Quote:

From what I can see the EMLs run about $250 or so...is there another distributor that shaves off some of the price? As for the 6EM7s and 6FD7s, how do they compare to something liek the 6DE7?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back