Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Aug 18, 2011 at 5:12 PM Post #12,976 of 42,298

Quote:
How many of you guys live in the Bay Area?

(Bi-regional, in between the Bay & LA until I return to work)

Me too! In fact, there's a good number of both head-fier's and Computer Audiophile members living 'round these parts. If I keep meeting members, I could forgo vendors & restocking fees...
beerchug.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 6:08 PM Post #12,977 of 42,298

Quote:
I have got to hear a WES at some point.  I wonder what that would sound like if you added a Smyth Realizer?
evil_smiley.gif

As long as you get the latest Smyth (or get one that can be upgraded like mine) with the HDMI ports and let your W4S and LF do its thing, I don't think you will hear much difference, however you may want to get a set of HE6's or at the least the new LCD2's.
I am now finally back in the tube rolling fun after a year+ not rolling any tubes because imo I reached the holly grail of tubes for my WA5LE. I have a Quad matched NOS set of Siemens gold pin [size=10pt]West German[/size] 6922 on there way for my LF.

Aug 18, 2011 at 7:00 PM Post #12,978 of 42,298

Quote:
As long as you get the latest Smyth (or get one that can be upgraded like mine) with the HDMI ports and let your W4S and LF do its thing, I don't think you will hear much difference, however you may want to get a set of HE6's or at the least the new LCD2's.
I am now finally back in the tube rolling fun after a year+ not rolling any tubes because imo I reached the holly grail of tubes for my WA5LE. I have a Quad matched NOS set of Siemens gold pin [size=10pt]West German[/size] 6922 on there way for my LF.

Do you think by month-end you'll sit down for evaluations with the WA5LE & LF?
popcorn.gif

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:44 PM Post #12,979 of 42,298
SS,

I have the Smyth at the very top of the list w/a set of new phones!

Quote:

Aug 18, 2011 at 9:47 PM Post #12,980 of 42,298
It will be indeed interesting to read Silly Sally's impressions of the LF vs. the WA5LE.  With the LF vs the WA22 there was no comparison.  The LF has much more speed and detail as well as a much better defined bass and power to burn.

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:01 PM Post #12,981 of 42,298

Quote:

Hadn't realized you were still running the stock JJs..there will be a difference in the sound..whether you like it of not will be interesting to see :)

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:14 PM Post #12,982 of 42,298
Just stopping in with quick impression on WA6SE vs. WA6SE maxxed, both using Sylvania 6ew7 and solid EML 274b:

- Maxxed has more bass energy.  Fairly significant

- Maxxed seems to have less treble energy, or at least smoothed out here.  Not sure if I would call it recessed or not, could be

- Maxxed has more of a deep soundstage... I seem to hear things 'far off in the distance'.  

- Maxxed seems to have a bit more seductive midrange overall going off how voices and guitars sound

- Maxxed has decreased dynamic range?  Not sure, but this is interesting as I usually play with the volume on my amps throughout the day.  I know this is probably a bad thing, but there is something nice about not fiddling with my volume much.  Had an Anedio D1 and would be constantly adjusting the volume on that thing even from song to song.   This might be due to the presence in the lower region which gives the impression of a more consistent volume.

The EML really kicks things up, to the point where I'm not sure which I would pick... the stock SE w/ EML vs. Sonett w/ metal GZ34.  The Sonett has an incredibly seductive and detailed treble and tight bass, but doesn't do midrange quite like the woos.

The maxxed put things a bit over though and already I think it will be the one for the long haul.  The basic thing is it moves things closer to a speaker-like presentation.  Didn't think my Edition 8s were possible of this.  

That's about as much detail as I can muster right now.  This amp hasn't been used in a year or so and as outfitted with blackgates it will certainly take some time to break-in again.

Aug 18, 2011 at 10:42 PM Post #12,983 of 42,298

Quote:
Just stopping in with quick impression on WA6SE vs. WA6SE maxxed, both using Sylvania 6ew7 and solid EML 274b:

- Maxxed seems to have less treble energy, or at least smoothed out here.  Not sure if I would call it recessed or not, could be

- Maxxed has more of a deep soundstage... I seem to hear things 'far off in the distance'.  

- Maxxed seems to have a bit more seductive midrange overall going off how voices and guitars sound

- Maxxed has decreased dynamic range?  Not sure, but this is interesting as I usually play with the volume on my amps throughout the day.  I know this is probably a bad thing, but there is something nice about not fiddling with my volume much.  Had an Anedio D1 and would be constantly adjusting the volume on that thing even from song to song.   This might be due to the presence in the lower region which gives the impression of a more consistent volume.

The EML really kicks things up, to the point where I'm not sure which I would pick... the stock SE w/ EML vs. Sonett w/ metal GZ34.  The Sonett has an incredibly seductive and detailed treble and tight bass, but doesn't do midrange quite like the woos.

The maxxed put things a bit over though and already I think it will be the one for the long haul.  The basic thing is it moves things closer to a speaker-like presentation.  Didn't think my Edition 8s were possible of this.  

That's about as much detail as I can muster right now.  This amp hasn't been used in a year or so and as outfitted with blackgates it will certainly take some time to break-in again.

To address your last point first, you're absolutely right about needing time for run-in. Your stopping by tonight is important 'cause some members will give impressions based on aural memory post upgrade or sale. But you've got the two versions side-by-side... outstanding!

Aug 18, 2011 at 11:24 PM Post #12,984 of 42,298
I just swapped out the Treasures in my 22 and went back to the Ken Rad VT231 (along with Syl 7236 and EML 5U4G). I find those Treasures to be kind of dry sounding, and a little uninvolving. The VT231 are a tad bit warmer overall but have a more lively vibe.

Also ordered a Moon Silver Dragon for the LCD2, and my Wavelength Brick is due tomorrow. Yeehaw!

I also spent some time looping some sweep files from www.burninwav.com, just to kick things up a notch.

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:11 AM Post #12,985 of 42,298

Quote:

Does Woo still sell a maxed out version?

Aug 19, 2011 at 12:29 AM Post #12,986 of 42,298

Quote:
Do you think by month-end you'll sit down for evaluations with the WA5LE & LF?
popcorn.gif

I sure hope so, I have had a low grade summer cold that comes and goes. Not good for comparing this type of high end equipment.

I can say one thing for sure about the compassion it's not going to be easy, the WA5LE max is a state of the art old school amp and the LF is a state of the art cutting edge new school amp. For pure clarity the LF wins, for large sound stage the WA5LE wins.

Quote:
SS,

I have the Smyth at the very top of the list w/a set of new phones!

Don't forget about getting a reference grade PRIR with your Smyth, I flow from Chicago to LA and back home in less than 24 hours, rented AIX's sound studio for 5.1/7.1 reference sound system's and also there THX certified theatrical 5.1 sound system to make my PRIR's from. Don't really need a 2.0 as long as the L/R speakers are at a 30  degree angel, you can set the virtual speakers with the Smyth using the above PRIR's by shutting off the rest of the virtual speakers.
wink_face.gif

Quote:

Hadn't realized you were still running the stock JJs..there will be a difference in the sound..whether you like it of not will be interesting to see :)

I wanted to make sure the LF was a keeper before I went for the high end 6922's, my Quad set will be here via snail mail this Friday.
tongue_smile.gif

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:41 AM Post #12,987 of 42,298

Quote:
I sure hope so, I have had a low grade summer cold that comes and goes. Not good for comparing this type of high end equipment.

I can say one thing for sure about the compassion it's not going to be easy, the WA5LE max is a state of the art old school amp and the LF is a state of the art cutting edge new school amp. For pure clarity the LF wins, for large sound stage the WA5LE wins.

Don't forget about getting a reference grade PRIR with your Smyth, I flow from Chicago to LA and back home in less than 24 hours, rented AIX's sound studio for 5.1/7.1 reference sound system's and also there THX certified theatrical 5.1 sound system to make my PRIR's from. Don't really need a 2.0 as long as the L/R speakers are at a 30  degree angel, you can set the virtual speakers with the Smyth using the above PRIR's by shutting off the rest of the virtual speakers.
wink_face.gif

I wanted to make sure the LF was a keeper before I went for the high end 6922's, my Quad set will be here via snail mail this Friday.
tongue_smile.gif

That's a great description of the amps, well put! Your comparisons will not be easy but could prove satisfying if your cold stays away.

Aug 19, 2011 at 1:50 AM Post #12,988 of 42,298
Hi! It is 7:47 a.m. Just thought I'd check in. This afternoon I'm getting together face to face for the first time with a fellow Head-Fi'er at a local cafe. I am all Wooless so we'll be reviewing beers and not Woos! http://www.cafe-belgique.nl/html/About%20Belgique.html There's nothing like live music when you're without your favorite headphones and hp amp.

Aug 19, 2011 at 2:33 AM Post #12,989 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi! It is 7:47 a.m. Just thought I'd check in. This afternoon I'm getting together face to face for the first time with a fellow Head-Fi'er at a local cafe. I am all Wooless so we'll be reviewing beers and not Woos! http://www.cafe-belgique.nl/html/About%20Belgique.html There's nothing like live music when you're without your favorite headphones and hp amp.

Clayton SF, my man! Great to hear from you!!! I enjoy being cafe side - I'm responsible for a lot of letters written, books read, conversations had and music enjoyed in this type of environment. 
wink.gif
  Give our fellow Woo mate a 'shout'... and a drink!

Aug 19, 2011 at 8:29 AM Post #12,990 of 42,298

Quote:
It will be indeed interesting to read Silly Sally's impressions of the LF vs. the WA5LE.  With the LF vs the WA22 there was no comparison.  The LF has much more speed and detail as well as a much better defined bass and power to burn.

I am going to receive a demo LF from AphroditeCu29.com shortly so I can make a comparison with my WA5-LE and my RP010B.

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com

Users who are viewing this thread

Back