Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 26, 2011 at 6:19 PM Post #11,987 of 42,298
WA, you can not hijack my hijack 
beerchug.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:57 PM Post #11,991 of 42,298

Quote:
thread hijacking lol

Dose anyone use Ken-rad vt-231 on their amp? are the black glass and clear class same thing?

Yes and no, depending upon the plate construction.  The clear glass with staggered/offset plate alignment should sound the same as the black glass, and are usually cheaper to boot.  The ones whose plates are aligned perfectly parallel to each other to form a square are from when GE had taken over the Ken Rad operation.  These do not sound as good as the offset plate version, which are the earlier/older ones.  The blackglass all have the offset plates.  As for sound, these are one of the few 6SN7 I have not yet heard myself.  I have so many now I just don't feel the need to explore what is left.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:21 PM Post #11,992 of 42,298

Quote:
When you find the right balance it can be so hard to keep.  I had a system once that I really enjoyed, but no, I had to play around, I had to change, and instead of going back to the sound I so enjoyed I just continued to throw more money at the system to no avail. Probably $15-20K or more.  ALl I had to do was go back.     Now I sometimes walk around the world and I just shout out "IDOIT" to myself.  Just to remind me that I am one.

I've spent about $4-5K on NOS tubes. I have stopped tube rolling. I have placed all of those tubes in three boxes. I've shoved one of them them in a closet, another under the bed, and one under a desk. Except for an occasional swap between two types of power tubes (just for the heck of it) I haven't looked at them nor have I thought about using any of them in about 4 months. Lately I've spent more time with my ss Beta 22 that Corey Warner of SWA built than with tube amps--except maybe my speaker system which is Decware.

Jul 26, 2011 at 7:25 PM Post #11,993 of 42,298

Quote:
I've spent about $4-5K on NOS tubes. I have stopped tube rolling. I have placed all of those tubes in three boxes. I've shoved one of them them in a closet, another under the bed, and one under a desk. Except for an occasional swap between two types of power tubes (just for the heck of it) I haven't looked at them nor have I thought about using any of them in about 4 months. Lately I've spent more time with my ss Beta 22 that Corey Warner of SWA built.

I had a number of  tube power amps in the late 80's early 90's but I didn't roll anything.  I didn't even know you could do that back then.  I thought you just replaced a tube with the same tube if it failed.  There was no internet back then to find out about rolling!

Jul 26, 2011 at 8:51 PM Post #11,994 of 42,298

Quote:
I just received my WA6 today, but still don't have time to audition it.
frown.gif

Have to wait til weekend

(minutes lost x number of nights = sneak preview)

How's is that possible?! It's Wednesday across the Pond. Considering the minutes of lost sleep each night due to 'Woo' anxiety, you might as well have a sneak preview. 
popcorn.gif

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:05 PM Post #11,995 of 42,298

Quote:
Yes and no, depending upon the plate construction.  The clear glass with staggered/offset plate alignment should sound the same as the black glass, and are usually cheaper to boot.  The ones whose plates are aligned perfectly parallel to each other to form a square are from when GE had taken over the Ken Rad operation.  These do not sound as good as the offset plate version, which are the earlier/older ones.  The blackglass all have the offset plates.  As for sound, these are one of the few 6SN7 I have not yet heard myself.  I have so many now I just don't feel the need to explore what is left.

From What I've seen they all parallel between the plates... although it's hard to see through the black glass . For the clear glass, if see it from the top,the pins of the plate and the top form a Parallelogram or rectangle rather than a square

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:09 PM Post #11,996 of 42,298

Quote:
Sorry to hijack.  This is one of the most diverse threads around I think.  Seems the Woo owners have a wide net of interests.   I'm hoping to be a Woo owner by summers end.

Quote:
WA, you can not hijack my hijack 
beerchug.gif

My name is Jack, hi back!!!!!!!!!!

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:19 PM Post #11,997 of 42,298
Looks like it's the driver tube, wonder how this happened since there is no sign of dying sound, it plays normally when music is on... 

Tubes just die from time to time. At least there's nothing wrong with your WA22. :smile:

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:45 PM Post #11,998 of 42,298
I've been noticing the past few nights that my headphone rig has been sounding very, very good - better than just a week or so ago. I thought I was past the break-in stage but now I'm thinking not - it sounded very good before, but it has definitely improved. I probably have 150-175 hours on the 22 and my W4S DAC2 (less on the LCD2 - probably closer to 100-125 hours there). I tube swapped a lot in the beginning, but the set I'm using now have been there for a couple of months now.

I guess these aren't a ton of hours - I don't think I've averaged an hour a night since the rig was new (around Christmas for the amp/DAC and a month or so lat on the LCD2).

What do you guys think?

Jul 26, 2011 at 9:54 PM Post #11,999 of 42,298
I've been noticing the past few nights that my headphone rig has been sounding very, very good - better than just a week or so ago. I thought I was past the break-in stage but now I'm thinking not - it sounded very good before, but it has definitely improved. I probably have 150-175 hours on the 22 and my W4S DAC2 (less on the LCD2 - probably closer to 100-125 hours there). I tube swapped a lot in the beginning, but the set I'm using now have been there for a couple of months now.

I guess these aren't a ton of hours - I don't think I've averaged an hour a night since the rig was new (around Christmas for the amp/DAC and a month or so lat on the LCD2).

What do you guys think?

What tubes did you settle in on? Just curious. :smile:

Jul 26, 2011 at 10:09 PM Post #12,000 of 42,298
What tubes did you settle in on? Just curious. :smile:

Chatham 5998 + Sylvania VT231 + EML 5U4G. Sometimes I swap a TungSol 5U4G/GB as well - but I find this combo working very well with the LCD2 (though the same combo was way too bright for my T1s).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back