Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 26, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #12,001 of 42,298
Chatham 5998 + Sylvania VT231 + EML 5U4G. Sometimes I swap a TungSol 5U4G/GB as well - but I find this combo working very well with the LCD2 (though the same combo was way too bright for my T1s).

Interesting...thanks. I'll have to give my TS5998s another try. I preferred them in my WA2, but in my WA22, I seem to prefer my TS7236 or Sylvania 7236s. I've settled on the Raytheon 5U4G rectifier tube. I'm still rolling the driver tubes though. My Sylvania 6SN7s are great, but I do have a pair of Tung-Sol's coming in next week.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:31 PM Post #12,002 of 42,298
"Chatham 5998 + Sylvania VT231 + EML 5U4G. Sometimes I swap a TungSol 5U4G/GB as well - but I find this combo working very well with the LCD2 (though the same combo was way too bright for my T1s)."
Was the chatman similar to tugsol 5998? 
Any way you can post pic of the sly vt-231 you got, i got a pair of Sly vt-231, not exactly as i expected though... 

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:54 PM Post #12,003 of 42,298

Quote:
I've been noticing the past few nights that my headphone rig has been sounding very, very good - better than just a week or so ago. I thought I was past the break-in stage but now I'm thinking not - it sounded very good before, but it has definitely improved. I probably have 150-175 hours on the 22 and my W4S DAC2 (less on the LCD2 - probably closer to 100-125 hours there). I tube swapped a lot in the beginning, but the set I'm using now have been there for a couple of months now.

I guess these aren't a ton of hours - I don't think I've averaged an hour a night since the rig was new (around Christmas for the amp/DAC and a month or so lat on the LCD2).

What do you guys think?

Well the W4S DAC-2 needs a long burn in. I know my unit changed it's sonic character with burn in.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM Post #12,004 of 42,298

Quote:
From What I've seen they all parallel between the plates... although it's hard to see through the black glass . For the clear glass, if see it from the top,the pins of the plate and the top form a Parallelogram or rectangle rather than a square

Parallelogram is a good way of putting it.  These are the more desirable ones.

Jul 26, 2011 at 11:59 PM Post #12,005 of 42,298

Quote:

Was the chatman similar to tugsol 5998?

They should be the same tube.  Tung Sol was the only manufacturer of the 5998.  We can thank Skylab for spreading this very useful piece of information originally.  :)

There are a few variations on the Sylvania VT-231, but they should all have the same plate style.  I've tried a number of different Sylvania tubes, but the original VT-231 isn't one of them since they have a reputation for light bass (not a good thing with my headphones) and because the various 3-hole plate Sylvanias from the early 50's are generally regarded as being superior overall.  Not all of them I should mention, but some of them are..... or some the reputations say anyway.  I like my Bad Boys quite a bit, but the real keepers have been some short base chrome tops from '52 which were made on the same tooling as the metal base tubes (I believe, it's so hard to be sure about any of this).  The reputation on this tube doesn't seem to reflect my opinion, but I think I may have something different or more rare than people realized when I was talking about it.  When I consider my collection as a whole, it is the black glass tung sols, then these, then everything else.  I hold them in very high regard and since I managed to get two pair I'm running one full time now.  It's a shame that pair has electrical/noise issues, but they aren't bad enough to stop me from using them. 

There are quite a few variations out there for the Sylvania tubes if you spend some time looking, more so than most other brands.  It's worth it to hunt down the great ones IMO.

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:56 AM Post #12,006 of 42,298

Quote:
I've been noticing the past few nights that my headphone rig has been sounding very, very good - better than just a week or so ago. I thought I was past the break-in stage but now I'm thinking not - it sounded very good before, but it has definitely improved. I probably have 150-175 hours on the 22 and my W4S DAC2 (less on the LCD2 - probably closer to 100-125 hours there). I tube swapped a lot in the beginning, but the set I'm using now have been there for a couple of months now.

I guess these aren't a ton of hours - I don't think I've averaged an hour a night since the rig was new (around Christmas for the amp/DAC and a month or so lat on the LCD2).

What do you guys think?

Hours of operation ~

The sign in the window suggests your wait time for the DAC/Amp is only half way over. Say you had a weekday off and decided to visit the mall (Kings Plaza Shopping Center or Manhattan Mall). You leave the cafe nearby with Latte & The Times in tow and arrive at the mall just as the doors open each day at 7 am. Some customers come early to read, sip and relax... just like you did. The bookstore opens at 9 am with the rest of the stores opening at 10 am. 

You're there to visit the Woo Audio candy boutique for Champagne Truffles, so right around 10 o'clock you walk up to the door and notice the hours of operation: 11 am - 7 pm. Although it seems you've been waiting a long time, you realize you're getting close. Rather than walk away, you decide to browse knowing the truffles are worth the wait! And when you reach 300-400-500 hours, what to do next? Call your friends up, it's a Potluck!!! 
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:01 AM Post #12,007 of 42,298

Quote:
Well the W4S DAC-2 needs a long burn in. I know my unit changed it's sonic character with burn in.

I just reached 308 hours early this morning with my W4S DAC-1 and it too, is still changing. 2 August, I may return it for the Low ESR "Super Caps." Then I'll have to watch the ODO all over again...
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 1:08 AM Post #12,008 of 42,298

Quote:
They should be the same tube.  Tung Sol was the only manufacturer of the 5998.  We can thank Skylab for spreading this very useful piece of information originally.  :)

There are a few variations on the Sylvania VT-231, but they should all have the same plate style.  I've tried a number of different Sylvania tubes, but the original VT-231 isn't one of them since they have a reputation for light bass (not a good thing with my headphones) and because the various 3-hole plate Sylvanias from the early 50's are generally regarded as being superior overall.  Not all of them I should mention, but some of them are..... or some the reputations say anyway.  I like my Bad Boys quite a bit, but the real keepers have been some short base chrome tops from '52 which were made on the same tooling as the metal base tubes (I believe, it's so hard to be sure about any of this).  The reputation on this tube doesn't seem to reflect my opinion, but I think I may have something different or more rare than people realized when I was talking about it.  When I consider my collection as a whole, it is the black glass tung sols, then these, then everything else.  I hold them in very high regard and since I managed to get two pair I'm running one full time now.  It's a shame that pair has electrical/noise issues, but they aren't bad enough to stop me from using them. 

There are quite a few variations out there for the Sylvania tubes if you spend some time looking, more so than most other brands.  It's worth it to hunt down the great ones IMO.

Greetings Xcalibur255 ~

I believe about a month ago you were going to return here with a pix for the Syl short-base chrome tops from '52. If I am mistaken, the desire to see them remains...

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:23 AM Post #12,009 of 42,298

Quote:
When you find the right balance it can be so hard to keep.  I had a system once that I really enjoyed, but no, I had to play around, I had to change, and instead of going back to the sound I so enjoyed I just continued to throw more money at the system to no avail. Probably $15-20K or more.  ALl I had to do was go back.     Now I sometimes walk around the world and I just shout out "IDOIT" to myself.  Just to remind me that I am one.

I am going to keep pushing through to the end here.  I've got my R1 system (iPod/Wadia i170/DLIII) going and it is so totally smooth and sweet both with the VT100 and HD800.  My R2 system (BDP-1/W4S) is too bright with both my HD800 and VT100, however there is not that jittery smearing I heard with the PWD or Touch.  Furtheremore there is more detail at both the top and bottom end and more dynamics going on so it is worth the effort right now. 

I'm going to take in the sound of the W4S 500's and I'm going to try a pair of the LCD-2 with their new drivers (read your review - nice).  If I can't get the system to settle down, I going to sell everything new I bought and keep my old stuff as that is really honey to my ears.  If it does not work out it's a shame because there is a lot in the hi-rez world I'd like to explore, but maybe my ears just are not built for it.  I keep scratching my head because I have read that people lose high frequency hearing the older we get, but as I am in my 60's I think my retrograde nature is going the opposite way and I am hearing more.  When I got out of the Navy at the end of the Viet-nam war, I had high frequency hearing loss revealed in my release physical because of my time on the USS Enterprise flight deck.

At any rate, it's been a frustrating period going from one piece of equipment to another, However I think that August will be the month it all gets resolved because by then everything will have broken in and I'll know what stays and what goes.

Jul 27, 2011 at 4:29 AM Post #12,010 of 42,298

Quote:
Greetings Xcalibur255 ~

I believe about a month ago you were going to return here with a pix for the Syl short-base chrome tops from '52. If I am mistaken, the desire to see them remains...

I thought we were going to see the ultimate Bad Boy comparison at some point
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:10 AM Post #12,011 of 42,298

Quote:

I thought we were going to see the ultimate Bad Boy comparison at some point
popcorn.gif

Hopefully, Xcalibur255 is finishing up with priorities and that we'll see something by the end of the week. Instead of buying 3 gallons of gas for The Bluesmobile, I chose the $15 French butter for the popcorn & review (The Ultimate Bad Boy comparison...).  
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 5:46 AM Post #12,012 of 42,298

Quote:

I am going to keep pushing through to the end here.  I've got my R1 system (iPod/Wadia i170/DLIII) going and it is so totally smooth and sweet both with the VT100 and HD800.  My R2 system (BDP-1/W4S) is too bright with both my HD800 and VT100, however there is not that jittery smearing I heard with the PWD or Touch.  Furtheremore there is more detail at both the top and bottom end and more dynamics going on so it is worth the effort right now. 

I'm going to take in the sound of the W4S 500's and I'm going to try a pair of the LCD-2 with their new drivers (read your review - nice).  If I can't get the system to settle down, I going to sell everything new I bought and keep my old stuff as that is really honey to my ears.  If it does not work out it's a shame because there is a lot in the hi-rez world I'd like to explore, but maybe my ears just are not built for it.  I keep scratching my head because I have read that people lose high frequency hearing the older we get, but as I am in my 60's I think my retrograde nature is going the opposite way and I am hearing more.  When I got out of the Navy at the end of the Viet-nam war, I had high frequency hearing loss revealed in my release physical because of my time on the USS Enterprise flight deck.

At any rate, it's been a frustrating period going from one piece of equipment to another, However I think that August will be the month it all gets resolved because by then everything will have broken in and I'll know what stays and what goes.

LCD-2 (r.2) 

I don't know anyone in the East Bay yet with spec r.2 - will have to return to your place in August if I'm to hear them. By the way, you've been changing gear in & out of your listening room as often as they change window displays on Rodeo Drive!  
biggrin.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 10:02 AM Post #12,013 of 42,298
Is that something W4S is offering as an upgrade or just your upgrade?

Quote:
I just reached 308 hours early this morning with my W4S DAC-1 and it too, is still changing. 2 August, I may return it for the Low ESR "Super Caps." Then I'll have to watch the ODO all over again...
popcorn.gif

Jul 27, 2011 at 12:26 PM Post #12,014 of 42,298

Quote:
Is that something W4S is offering as an upgrade or just your upgrade?

The Super Caps are stock for you DAC-2 owners; optional for us DAC-1 owners. Although, I just received a reply from W4S that some early '1' models were mistakenly shipped with them. And asked that I check because I might have gotten lucky. Just went to bed at 0800 (still sleepy). Will lie back down and check the second time I awake... wish me luck!  
biggrin.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back