Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jul 25, 2011 at 11:28 PM Post #11,971 of 42,298

Quote:
Another unit to burn in!  How do you like it so far?

So far it is burning in and it is promising.  It's a passive/active preamp.  at 63 & below its passive and at 64 and above it's active.  Plus two pairs of balanced in and outs as as well.  I like it because I can dialin the best output performance for the DAC-2 and then use the preamp to deal with volume.

Also picking up a pair of W4S SX-500 monoblocks for my Vandersteens.  Am selling my Audio Research VT100 MK III.

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:35 PM Post #11,972 of 42,298
the ground I run from the hardware of the player to the outlet metal undeniably fixes my problem.

I am confused why the problem exists at all.  The dvd player is acting as a transport - does it make sense that RFI can be carried across the digital signal?  Can someone explain this to me?

Jul 25, 2011 at 11:46 PM Post #11,973 of 42,298
I would attach the speaker wire to a chassis screw of the dvd player, then tape it to run along side the 2-prong cord, then use the screw that attaches the outlet plate to the outlet box, without removing the cover for safety. Edit: Using spade connectors for added professionalism.

That's what I would do, but I certainly won't advise you to do that because I am not qualified to do so.

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:02 AM Post #11,977 of 42,298

Quote:
You've got a tube issue. Either your driver or power tube.

Next up, change just one of the tubes (either your driver or power tube...not both)....whatever side you hear the problem, has the problematic tube.

Looks like it's the driver tube, wonder how this happened since there is no sign of dying sound, it plays normally when music is on... 

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:04 AM Post #11,978 of 42,298

Quote:
Hi folks,

Since I'm new here, I want to say hello!
I just bought used WA6 last Saturday. So soon enough, I'm gonna be the proud owner of WA6!!
atsmile.gif

I got the amp + EML 274B pretty cheap from ebay Germany.

Will let you guys know how it sounds with my HD650!

-cs16

EML 274b? I thought it's more expensive the sophia's 

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:21 AM Post #11,979 of 42,298

Quote:
Thanks in advance for those who read this and respond - I really appreciate it.....................................

So I have recently starting trying to move away from computer based audio - I study with a computer all day, plus the internet is too damned distracting.  I'd like to step away from it in order to truly relax and listen.  Also I have a tidy CD collection I've inherited and I'd like to play those in a comfortable chair without a screen staring at me.

I am hitting some major issues though.

Currently I happily run a Xonar Essence STX soundcard from my desktop -->  Ack Dack! (older version, borrowing from my brother, its a non-upsampling battery-powered DAC for those unfamiliar) --> WA3 --> DT880/600's.  This sounds great to my ears!  And most importantly, it is DEAD SILENT, I hear no tube noise (with the right tubes that is - many thanks to John), no hum, no hiss, no RFI, just beautiful music.  

Before buying a decent cd player (which I am eyeing the marantz CD5004), I wanted to try out the hypothetical setup using just a basic DVD player as a transport.  This sounded good in theory, but I get MAJOR hum/hiss/noise that I blame on the dvd players when I hook things up.  

So, does it make sense that a source could cause a tremendous amount of hum?  Perhaps I should not even call it hum, its just terribly loud noise that overwhelms the music, you can barely hear it.  It increases with volume, and goes away when the source is unplugged (i/e its not a problem with my amp).  Please read on, as I have already attempted a few things to resolve my issue....

So I think the dvd player is picking up then outputting an insane amount of hum/hiss/some kinda of awful noise.  I've never had any hum or noise when running my sound card as a source.  From searching, I find little complaints of folks getting hum from their sources.  I don't want to buy any sort of decent source if this may happen with it too.  Has anyone ever heard of a source introducing immense hum?

I have tried different AC outlets, including the ones my computer uses (and my computer/soundcard is SILENT).  Also, all of these cheap sources use two-pronged plugs, so using a cheater cable is not something I can try..

I have tried two cheap DVD players so far, both with the same horrid result:  Panasonic DVD-S35 and Sony DVP-SR200P.  I also tried a Sony Playstation 2 via optical out as well - same result!

I've tried both players this way:  

Digital out (via coax on the Sony, optical on the Panasonic) --> DAC --> amp

as well as:

DVD player R/W analog out --> amp

I have tried multiple outlets all over my apartment, but the apartment is so small (850 square feet - Yay!) that if RFI is the problem, there is no escaping it.

My best theory is this:  There is a massive RFI problem in my apartment that these cheap components are picking up.  I think my soundcard is well shielded - the Xonar STX advertises an RFI shield around the card, and thus explains why it is silent and the other cheap dvd players are not.

Is there a way to rule out RFI as an issue?  Might I flip all my breakers but one and then have a listen?  Make a tin-foil anti-alien helmet for my source?  There are FOUR AC units right outside my house, perhaps I am just stuck in an RFI nightmare?

So my questions for you all - 

1.  what do you think of my theory?  Any other theories of your own?

2.  Is there anything that can be done? - I was thinking of eventually getting one of these if I liked the whole idea of cd's - http://www.stereophile.com/content/marantz-cd5004-cd-player, but it would be unusable if it sounded remotely like these cheap dvd players.  But perhaps the marantz will also have no problems like my soundcard?

3.  Would flipping all breakers (but one, obviously) R/O the possibility of RFI?  Or can this stuff penetrate through the walls from the neighbors, etc?

Thanks for the help,

Eric

Might be the vibration of the dvd player you had , if that didn't happen to you with your computer, or the wires. and I could tell you that a decent cd transport will sound better than a typical dvd player. In my case i found the theta is just much better than my sacd player as a redbook transport. You'd better look for a dedicated cd transport in you plan to use ur dac, or, there is someone selling a Cambridge audio Azure 840c cd player for like 8-900 dollars, that thing is a steal at that price. And you can consider it as upgraded source since it's also a awesome dedicated DAC and it offer a lot features too. I almost got that one instead of the DAC-2

Jul 26, 2011 at 1:55 AM Post #11,980 of 42,298

Quote:
Absolutely.  What is your thinking?

Sorry Mike, just being nostalgic I guess for like equipment that I've sold and then later on wished I hadn't.  but I was surprised to see you go solid state after having a tube amp.  Are you going to keep the Audio Research and see if you like the W4S monos or are you going to part with it first?

Jul 26, 2011 at 12:04 PM Post #11,981 of 42,298

Quote:
Sorry Mike, just being nostalgic I guess for like equipment that I've sold and then later on wished I hadn't.  but I was surprised to see you go solid state after having a tube amp.  Are you going to keep the Audio Research and see if you like the W4S monos or are you going to part with it first?

I've never made the sonic distinction of tubed vs. solid state as I've always related to the hardware and how it sounds. 

I'm going to listen to the mono's that come from W4S and break them in first and then will decide.  My plan now is to fund the mono blocks with the sale of the VT100.  But, if the mono blocks suck (which I doubt), I'll sell them instead.

Ever since I changed my equipment stack to listen to hi-rez music, my system has been plagued by brightness and harshness.  I'm still wrestling with it.  I kept the Wadia i170 and DLIII and if I can't get rid of the brightness and harshness, I'm going to just sell everything and go back to my original stuff.  The WA22, i170 & DLIII sounds PLEANTY good with 16/44.1 Apple lossless.

Jul 26, 2011 at 5:47 PM Post #11,983 of 42,298

Quote:
Anyone here have the new/newer LCD2 rev2's?  Opinion?

Here is my opinion.  http://www.head-fi.org/products/audeze-lcd-2-planar-magnetic-headphones/reviews/5334

since I wrote it I have become even more enamored with the r.2.   Then around 240 hours of burn in the r.2s took a leap forward in sonics.  Everything got much more dimensional and relaxed.  When this happened I posted this finding in the LCD forum ready to take all the flak from the non burn in believers.  But I know what I heard so I posted it.  Then a few posts later someone wrote that Alex and Sankar had spoken with a friend of his and they stated 200-300 hours burn in for the LCD to come into it's own.  I have found this to be definitely true.

I was unhappy with the r.1 and was going to sell my amp and LCD's and get out of headphones altogether.  There simply wasn't enough return for my buck for me with the r.1.  It fell short of my expectations even though it did sound so enticing.  I no longer feel this way.  I reach for the r.2 now while I have a track playing on my speaker rig and wonder how it will sound on the r.2.  Then I just leave them on and ignore the speakers.  That's something I didn't think was possible.

Remember, with the new r.2 drivers burn in is key.  Right out of the box you will be disappointed.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:06 PM Post #11,984 of 42,298

Quote:
I've never made the sonic distinction of tubed vs. solid state as I've always related to the hardware and how it sounds. 

I'm going to listen to the mono's that come from W4S and break them in first and then will decide.  My plan now is to fund the mono blocks with the sale of the VT100.  But, if the mono blocks suck (which I doubt), I'll sell them instead.

Ever since I changed my equipment stack to listen to hi-rez music, my system has been plagued by brightness and harshness.  I'm still wrestling with it.  I kept the Wadia i170 and DLIII and if I can't get rid of the brightness and harshness, I'm going to just sell everything and go back to my original stuff.  The WA22, i170 & DLIII sounds PLEANTY good with 16/44.1 Apple lossless.

When you find the right balance it can be so hard to keep.  I had a system once that I really enjoyed, but no, I had to play around, I had to change, and instead of going back to the sound I so enjoyed I just continued to throw more money at the system to no avail. Probably $15-20K or more.  ALl I had to do was go back.     Now I sometimes walk around the world and I just shout out "IDOIT" to myself.  Just to remind me that I am one.

Jul 26, 2011 at 6:13 PM Post #11,985 of 42,298
thread hijacking lol

Dose anyone use Ken-rad vt-231 on their amp? are the black glass and clear class same thing?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back