Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 26, 2017 at 10:08 PM Post #39,181 of 42,299
Yip. You are right. I'm getting a buzzing sound that is usually associated with wire electrical noise.
Maybe because the drivers are miles away from rectifiers. On the WA22 you most definitely get a buzzing sound.

596 is a nice sounding rectifier tho. Excellent detail and soundstage.

Hi, I am using WA22 with stock tubes. I do sometimes hear the buzzing noise. So that is normal? It is kind of annoying though.
Thanks

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:21 PM Post #39,182 of 42,299
  I am using WA22 with stock tubes. My headphone is single-end HD600 (still saving money for HD800s). I do sometimes hear the buzzing noise (without audio source, with smallest volume, with ZuAudio power cable). So that is normal? It is kind of annoying though. Is there any cheap way that I can do to eliminate the noise, like changing tubes or adding adapters? Or changing to HD800S will eliminate the noise?
Thank you guys a lot.

With my WA3, I find I need to keep it away from other components - particularly power supplies and anything with a radio in it.

I have a wireless bridge for my head-fi stack that is 10' away from my table, with my streamers and optical spinners (2 of each) connected with quality shielded ethernet cables via a switch with a shielded case. Overkill, I'm sure, but my WA3 is dead quiet with the right tubes (i.e. I have some tubes that buzz a little, but my daily drivers are quiet).

Hope that helps...

Jan 26, 2017 at 11:25 PM Post #39,183 of 42,299
Hi, I am using WA22 with stock tubes. I do sometimes hear the buzzing noise. So that is normal? It is kind of annoying though.
Thanks

It shouldn't be normal however it seems to be with the WA22. It's called transformer hum and the WA22 is very suspectable to it.

It seems all 274B tubes produce it. Even the pricey Tak274B. Brimar 5Z4G and Webber Copper Caps are clean and free of it.

A tube amp builder told me you can virtually eliminate it if you dip the power transformers in a epoxy resin. There is a company here that does it. So it is something I'm thinking of doing. A pity tube amp manufacturers don't do it as part of the build.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:21 AM Post #39,186 of 42,299
Thanks for your opinion. So you are suggesting to change 274B to some other rectifiers? 
It shouldn't be normal however it seems to be with the WA22. It's called transformer hum and the WA22 is very suspectable to it.

It seems all 274B tubes produce it. Even the pricey Tak274B. Brimar 5Z4G and Webber Copper Caps are clean and free of it.

A tube amp builder told me you can virtually eliminate it if you dip the power transformers in a epoxy resin. There is a company here that does it. So it is something I'm thinking of doing. A pity tube amp manufacturers don't do it as part of the build.

Jan 27, 2017 at 12:30 AM Post #39,187 of 42,299
Thanks for your opinion. So you are suggesting to change 274B to some other rectifiers? 

Yeah. 274B doesn't play nice with the WA22. Strange as it is a stock supplied tube.

Jan 27, 2017 at 1:06 AM Post #39,189 of 42,299
Thanks a lot. You have any suggestions for replacement? Probably under $50. For the Brimar 5Z4G you mentioned, I noticed that 5Z4 is in the list of the WA22 manual but 5Z4G is not. 

Brimar 5Z4GY is a great start. I'm sure other members will have suggestions as well.

G stands for Glass so perfectly safe. Y stands for the bottle shape.

Jan 28, 2017 at 3:54 PM Post #39,190 of 42,299
Member "project86" has done a lot of dac reviews that might be helpful

I am using a balanced Wadia 122 dac and it is going to be feeding a WA22 fully balanced and the fully balanced outputs will be going to the new HD800 S series.

We shall see but I like the Wadia 122 and someone is cheap selling a new factory sealed Wadia 122 for $900.00 .

That's $600.00 off the retail price and nobody does that.

Good luck.

The Wadias are rarely on the market and never discounted.

Jan 28, 2017 at 4:02 PM Post #39,191 of 42,299
Does anyone know what is the topology of the wa22se ?

It looks like OTL & OCL design...
I Googled and went on Facebook yet I cannot find any details,
so maybe somebody here knows a little bit more..
I know it's a prototype so i realize it will have changes..

Feb 1, 2017 at 10:38 AM Post #39,192 of 42,299
  These two mice jumped over WA22 and now sitting on the WA5, they enjoyed the new home with fun ......
biggrin.gif

And managed to post back at WA5 First Impression, summary for my impression on the WA5
L3000.gif

Feb 2, 2017 at 6:16 PM Post #39,193 of 42,299
Okay. Thank you.

Some very interesting information. Very interesting about single ended connection. I was just online today looking for some balanced cables for my WA22. I have tried single end v's balanced in the WA22 before. I couldn't pick a difference. So with the explanation above I don't think I will bother with balanced.

Interesting comments about the caps in the WA234. I've had my suspicions about some Woo products for a while. They are and perform mostly very well. However I have wondered if they are all about the outside case, looks and marketing rather than achieving the best sound from the best or near best components. Products like the WA7 fuels my suspicions.

It will be fantastic if a WA234S (Super) gets developed. Purely for HP's and nothing else. With upgraded caps, transformer and sockets. Fingers crossed.
If or when it gets developed would you likely purchase?

Any suggestions for balanced cable (DAC to AMP) under $200? Thanks a lot.

Feb 2, 2017 at 11:51 PM Post #39,194 of 42,299
First thing I would do is disconnect the source. If the buzz goes away then maybe it isn't the tubes.
I have an Oppo hooked to both a WooWA5 and also to a PrimaLuna Dialogue Integrated.
I get a buzz from the PrimaLuna but the Woo is dead quiet.
I figured out if I remove the ground from the Oppo the buzz disappears. Even though all 3 units are plugged into the same outlet.
Might be worth a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back