Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Jan 23, 2017 at 11:19 PM Post #39,167 of 42,298
  I am the happy owner of a WA6 as well and I would love to hear your ides about other tubes to try. I have upgraded the rectifier tube to a Sophia Princess - mostly because it looks cool, but I haven't tried any other tubes.

It seems most everyone (including myself) buys the "upgraded" SP274B. Although I do enjoy it at times (most don't) I don't feel it warrants its price/performance ratio.

Try the Brimar 5Z4G from Langrex Tubes. Scroll down to 14th tube listing in the column. You really cant go wrong with this tube, its price/performance ratio far exceeds the SP274B.

Jan 23, 2017 at 11:48 PM Post #39,168 of 42,298
I agree. The Sophia Princess can be fun, has an interesting presentation, and looks incredible, but is not close to being worth the money.

The Brimar is a great rectifier as joseph said, most of us have a few.

That said, at this point I am running a copper cap for my rectifier, and I will never go back to any other rectifier. Its price/performance is unbeatable. It clearly bests the Brimar, and also my U52, which I ran for a long time before. It gives as full of extension as I think any rectifier can, is tonally accurate, and dynamic. It is not recommended by Woo, but I've yet to see anyone have a problem with one. The U52 does have interesting qualities next to it, namely a very liquid midrange, but I'm starting to think that it's not actually liquid, just a little emphasized. And people who have compared the copper caps to the Takatsuki say that they are at least comparable. I would hope the Tak would beat it.

Anyways that's all I have for rectification. Don't buy a U52 like I did, either get the Brimar, a copper cap, or just go all the way to WE, Taks, or the new Elrogs (if they have their stuff sorted, haven't payed attention).

For power/driver tubes, you'll want to get a 6DE7 --> 6F8G adapter, so you can use 6F8G, 6C8G, and other tubes. They seem to be the sonic equivalent of 6SN7 in many cases, and offer some other tubes not available in 6SN7. More than that, 6F8G is cheaper than 6SN7. On ebay right now, you can pick up 4 National Union 6F8G for 110. It would be hard to beat that sound at that price. I use NU for my tubes. I also have Tung Sol 6F8G, which are also incredible. Probably slightly better than the NU, but who knows. Either are head and shoulders above anything else.

And that's what I have to say about power/driver tubes. Get the adapter, pick up NU or TS 6F8G or 6C8G or equivalent.

edit: Just a quick edit that all of this is in reference to the WA6. I'm using it with the Mimby, and Grado PS500. Also have the HD650, but everytime I pull them out, I don't see a reason to keep listening to them. Mostly I keep them for the long cord, sometimes it lets the woman and I listen at the same time.

Jan 24, 2017 at 3:24 AM Post #39,169 of 42,298
^

Those last two posts are excellent. I concur on what has been said. Brimar and copper caps are excellent.

Using Brimar right now. Blows me away the performance / price of this tube.
I own two Takatsuzuki 274B tubes (really expensive) and in my opinion the Brimar gets close and the copper cap beats.

Jan 24, 2017 at 8:54 AM Post #39,170 of 42,298
^

Those last two posts are excellent. I concur on what has been said. Brimar and copper caps are excellent.

Using Brimar right now. Blows me away the performance / price of this tube.
I own two Takatsuzuki 274B tubes (really expensive) and in my opinion the Brimar gets close and the copper cap beats.

I have all three for my WA5.  I got the Brimar  as a low cost backup for the Sophia 274B.  I used them for about 20 hrs and found no particular upside to the Sophia.  I like the copper caps as they almost completely wipe out any noise floor.  Eventually the Sophia went back in as the copper caps seemed a little cold and analytical.  Perhaps I need to give the Brimar some more time.

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:41 AM Post #39,171 of 42,298
  Glad to see another WA6 owner. I think it's got to be one of the great values in amp world. You get to use some great tubes, and aesthetically it's just on point.

Let us know when you want us to rant on and on about tubes you should use!

I'm looking forward to some tube rolling.  I ordered the Sophia 274B as well.  I've read a lot of good things on these threads.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:04 PM Post #39,172 of 42,298
Has anyone gotten the 7N7 tube upgrade directly from Woo Audio for the WA6?  I'm wondering if anyone out there has any impressions on this combo. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:26 PM Post #39,173 of 42,298
  Has anyone gotten the 7N7 tube upgrade directly from Woo Audio for the WA6?  I'm wondering if anyone out there has any impressions on this combo. 

I bought it from Woo audio, but I ended up going back to the standard tube. The 7N7 sounded a bit bright to me. On the other hand I thought the standard tube sounded a bit dark at first, but I like it much better now. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to burn in first? (And does that mean that I didn't give the 7N7 enough time before going back to the standard tube? These are the pitfalls of tube rolling...)

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:27 PM Post #39,174 of 42,298

To be quite honest, I wouldn't buy any tube "upgrades" from Woo.
I tried the 7N7 as well as their other power/driver tubes and I didn't care for them at all, but you just might? You can find their "upgraded" tubes for much less if you look around. I do like the Woo power/driver tube adapters (which you would need for the 7N7). I have the 6DE7>6SN7 Woo adapter and it's well built and has great aesthetics.

Jan 24, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #39,175 of 42,298

I bought it from Woo audio, but I ended up going back to the standard tube. The 7N7 sounded a bit bright to me. On the other hand I thought the standard tube sounded a bit dark at first, but I like it much better now. Perhaps I didn't give it enough time to burn in first? (And does that mean that I didn't give the 7N7 enough time before going back to the standard tube? These are the pitfalls of tube rolling...)

Good info thanks!  Maybe down the road! 

Jan 24, 2017 at 7:12 PM Post #39,176 of 42,298
My personal travel Hi-Fi system. 
biggrin.gif
  Sony Walkman is the best way to enjoy DSD music through WA8 Eclipse. 

Jan 24, 2017 at 9:28 PM Post #39,178 of 42,298

Let us know when you want us to rant on and on about tubes you should use!

I am the happy owner of a WA6 as well and I would love to hear your ides about other tubes to try. I have upgraded the rectifier tube to a Sophia Princess - mostly because it looks cool, but I haven't tried any other tubes.

The 6160 with this stucture is a very nice  Rectifier someone i know loves it in is WA6 i think there around  $60.00 sometimes less shop around                                                                                                                                                                                 

Jan 26, 2017 at 10:07 PM Post #39,180 of 42,298
I am using WA22 with stock tubes. My headphone is single-end HD600 (still saving money for HD800s). I do sometimes hear the buzzing noise (without audio source, with smallest volume, with ZuAudio power cable). So that is normal? It is kind of annoying though. Is there any cheap way that I can do to eliminate the noise, like changing tubes or adding adapters? Or changing to HD800S will eliminate the noise?
Thank you guys a lot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back