Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Apr 20, 2015 at 9:22 PM Post #33,391 of 42,298
i heard you saying 234 is better than wa5 before, but sound signature wise, how close are they?  of course using the same tubes combinations. 

I have not heard the two Amps side by side with the same tubes so I'm not going to go there. Matt on the other hand owned a WA5 SE, hopefully he will chime in.

I do know he has not heard them side by with the same level of tubes he has now. I think the relevant point he made is that the 234 running stock tubes outperforms the WA5 on good NOS tubes by a substantial margin. When you are getting into the rarified levels of WE300B's, 422a's, Takatsuki's, Elrog's etc that's not going to be an easy comparison.

Will there be a difference yes, quantifying how much (not getting involved in any value equations) is best left to someone who has owned both. I have never had a WA5.

Apr 20, 2015 at 9:59 PM Post #33,392 of 42,298

Nice, what year are your WE300Bs?

They are coded 0539, so I guess September, 2005.  They're reissue tubes.  I wouldn't dare touch the vintage ones.

... the 234 running stock tubes outperforms the WA5 on good NOS tubes by a substantial margin. When you are getting into the rarified levels of WE300B's, 422a's, Takatsuki's, Elrog's etc that's not going to be an easy comparison.

I wonder what the differences in the circuit are?  It's pretty cool that the 234 can do 45 and 2A3 tubes too, unfortunately my journey ends at the WA5.  My next purchase will be a the schiit Yggy, and then another HP, possibly Hifiman HE1K or McIntosh MHP1000 and finally a good SS amp.

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:39 AM Post #33,393 of 42,298
  They are coded 0539, so I guess September, 2005.  They're reissue tubes.  I wouldn't dare touch the vintage ones.

Pretty cool stuff (and get pics). I looked at WE's website, which is also pretty cool (archived specs for all of their tubes).

Where did you get these? Their product pages lists all of their reissue tubes as TBD for price and availability. I wonder if they are still making new tubes.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:24 AM Post #33,394 of 42,298

Pretty cool stuff (and get pics). I looked at WE's website, which is also pretty cool (archived specs for all of their tubes).

Where did you get these? Their product pages lists all of their reissue tubes as TBD for price and availability. I wonder if they are still making new tubes.

Unfortunately WE is no longer producing any tubes that I know of.  I got these on eBay.

Apr 21, 2015 at 1:37 AM Post #33,395 of 42,298
I recently got a good deal on a stax sr 009.  I then quickly order the woo audio wee (wheeeeee).  I probably going to try it on my WA5 and my vintage yamaha ca 1010.  Anybody got any experience with the wee could give me on some heads up on the in and out of using it?  Will the wee do the sr 009 justice or should I look for something else?

Apr 21, 2015 at 12:54 PM Post #33,396 of 42,298
Schiit Yggdrasil live today... arg! and no taker for my tubes.  guess I'll miss the first batch and to eBay these tubes will go.

Apr 21, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #33,397 of 42,298
Order my Schitt Yggy this morning.  Got one day shipping so it should be here tomorrow.  Going to plug that in and test it with my current setup and wait for my sr 009 to arrive.

Apr 23, 2015 at 1:47 AM Post #33,398 of 42,298
Vertere Pulse HB USB cable has turned up, brand new so no in depth listening impressions until its has some time on it. Does sound smooth and rich, but mids and vocals are recessed out of the box. Good news is its not bright.

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #33,399 of 42,298
Vertere Pulse HB USB cable has turned up, brand new so no in depth listening impressions until its has some time on it. Does sound smooth and rich, but mids and vocals are recessed out of the box. Good news is its not bright.

Nice cable, I've never heard of Vetere. Are they a European outfit or American?

Apr 23, 2015 at 7:06 PM Post #33,400 of 42,298
English manufacturer

Apr 24, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #33,402 of 42,298
One day deals on the Sophia Electric tubes website. Have a look.

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:35 AM Post #33,403 of 42,298
  Anyone heard the ~1960s Amperex Bugle Boy ECC88 in a Wa3?
Looking at buying a pair.

Yes... they are fine, but not my favorite tubes, IIRC. It's been awhile since I've listened to mine, to be fair.

Did you replace your broken E88CC-TK?

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:37 AM Post #33,404 of 42,298

Yes... they are fine, but not my favorite tubes, IIRC. It's been awhile since I've listened to mine, to be fair.

Did you replace your broken E88CC-TK?

Yeah, I did, and now there's a problem with my other original TK. Kind of annoying. Not sure if I can be bothered to order another one or try a different pair.

Any other suggestions that aren't outrageously expensive?

Apr 24, 2015 at 10:56 AM Post #33,405 of 42,298
  Yeah, I did, and now there's a problem with my other original TK. Kind of annoying. Not sure if I can be bothered to order another one or try a different pair.

Any other suggestions that aren't outrageously expensive?

That sucks and I feel bad for recommending the TKs. Mine have been flawless, and I still like their sound, but maybe I was just lucky.

You sort of have three choices with tubes:

1. Buy NOS tubes from a reputable dealer --> $$$$, but a good experience if you are willing to pay;

Example: https://tubedepot.com/t/tubes/preamp-tubes/6dj8-6922-ecc88-e88cc-cv2492

Or, go crazy: https://tubedepot.com/products/telefunken-diamond-bottom-cca-gold-pin

2. Take a chance on eBay --> hit or miss; so far, I feel like I've done well, but it's still not cheap and you need to do your homework;

See: http://www.audioasylum.com/scripts/d.pl?audio/faq/joes-tubes.html#6DJ8

3. Buy newly manufactured tubes from a dealer (i.e. your failed TKs) --> less money, easier to replace, and (from some) questionable SQ.

My advice: take it slow and do some reading on the tube threads (recognizing that opinions are just that and not everyone likes the same thing).

Start with something that has near universal appeal. enjoy them for a while, and avoid the search for "Holy Grail" tubes - that costs real money and is never-ending.

But, to answer your question, try these:

https://tubedepot.com/products/philips-miniwatt-sq-e88cc-6922-gold-pin-holland

*And, no, I don't work for tube depot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back