Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 26, 2015 at 9:52 PM Post #33,241 of 42,298

So much power to drive the LCD3? The WA6 will drive almost anything except the HE6 - HD600/HD800/LCD-X all good.

Going WA6-SE was a couple of drawbacks:
1) Quite a bit more cost than a WA6, and
2) Can't be used with 6SN7 type driver tubes.
That last one can be a killer when tube rolling.

I would not call the WA6-SE 'entry level' in the Woo lineup, but the way this hobby is going the WA234 will be "entry level" in a few years
blink.gif

I found the WA2 underpowered for my LCD3C's. So that is why I didn't list it or the WA6.

However if he has the new fazor LCD3 that will be a different story. They are less power hungry.

Mar 26, 2015 at 9:57 PM Post #33,242 of 42,298

I found the WA2 underpowered for my LCD3C's. So that is why I didn't list it or the WA6.

However if he has the new fazor LCD3 that will be a different story. They are less power hungry.

Interesting. Bring the LCD-3Cs to the next session and we will see if the WA6 can make it dance. It is no powerhouse, but the HD600/HD800 are 300 Ohm headphones and not that easy to drive.

Mar 26, 2015 at 10:27 PM Post #33,243 of 42,298

Interesting. Bring the LCD-3Cs to the next session and we will see if the WA6 can make it dance. It is no powerhouse, but the HD600/HD800 are 300 Ohm headphones and not that easy to drive.

Yeah. Will do.

WA6 = 580mw @ 32 ohms
WA2 = 310mw @ 32 ohms
WA22 = 1500mw @ 32 ohms

LCD3 needs 1000mw (1W) @ 32 ohms
wink_face.gif

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:57 AM Post #33,245 of 42,298
I am waiting to get my 6F8G adapters from Glenn.  Is the NU 6F8G the ones to get?  I assume 'NU' is National Union and does not mean NEW or NOS.  Any other 6F8G's to consider?  Are the Tung Sol's even worth bothering if I get the National Unions?

Any suggestions on 6SN7s?  I have a set of Sophia 6SN7s coming.  Glenn is sending me a set of 6SN7 adapters too.

I am glad I kept my WA6, since I mainly use my planars with the WA6-SE.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:14 AM Post #33,246 of 42,298
  I am waiting to get my 6F8G adapters from Glenn.  Is the NU 6F8G the ones to get?  I assume 'NU' is National Union and does not mean NEW or NOS.  Any other 6F8G's to consider?  Are the Tung Sol's even worth bothering if I get the National Unions?

Any suggestions on 6SN7s?  I have a set of Sophia 6SN7s coming.  Glenn is sending me a set of 6SN7 adapters too.

Yep - National Union. NOS looks like this (but I have "used, tested as new" tubes that are just as good).

The TS RP 6F8Gs are well worth your time. They are superb tubes - which is why folks rave about them. Technically they are superior to the NUs, but not by a lot IMHO. They are also a more neutral tube. The NUs bring a sweetness to the sound that I (and others) find divine, especially for vocals - the TS RPs don't do that for me.

Which works best for you depends on your rig and your personal taste in sound - if you want a warmer driver go for the NU, if you want a great all-rounder that is more neutral go for the TS RP. Both are excellent drivers.

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:17 AM Post #33,247 of 42,298

Correct, NU=National Union. I just received a pair the other day, didn't even open them to look at them yet because I'm also waiting for Glenn to make me a pair of 6DE7>6F8G adapters for my WA6…it will be the first time I'm using these tubes.
As far as 6SN7 tubes…I happen too like the NOS-Sylvania 6SN7-WGTA's/"Bad Boys" and the
NOS-[size=x-small]RCA Red Base 5692's. From what I've read the SE-6SN7's sound muddy when paired with the SE Princess. What rectifier tubes do you have?[/size]

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:45 AM Post #33,248 of 42,298

Apologies for not raising this earlier - your sig and avatar show a WA6-SE. My understanding is that the WA6-SE is too hot for 6SN7 / 6F8G driver tubes. WA6-SE owners will know more about this than I do, but my understanding is that it is not a good idea to use these drivers with the SE amp.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:24 AM Post #33,249 of 42,298
  Correct, NU=National Union. I just received a pair the other day, didn't even open them to look at them yet because I'm also waiting for Glenn to make me a pair of 6DE7>6F8G adapters for my WA6…it will be the first time I'm using these tubes.
As far as 6SN7 tubes…I happen too like the NOS-Sylvania 6SN7-WGTA's/"Bad Boys" and the
NOS-[size=x-small]RCA Red Base 5692's. From what I've read the SE-6SN7's sound muddy when paired with the SE Princess. What rectifier tubes do you have?[/size]

I have a WE422A, a Marconi U-52 and (7) USAF 596 rectifiers. I also have two Brimars, a Sophia Princess, a Psvane WE274B and Full Music (Sophia Equivalent).  I stick mostly to the 596.  I was saving the WE422A for WA22 but it does sound so good.

Thanks.  I will look into the Sylvania 6SN7-WGTAs.

Mar 27, 2015 at 3:36 AM Post #33,250 of 42,298

Apologies for not raising this earlier - your sig and avatar show a WA6-SE. My understanding is that the WA6-SE is too hot for 6SN7 / 6F8G driver tubes. WA6-SE owners will know more about this than I do, but my understanding is that it is not a good idea to use these drivers with the SE amp.

I am happy with 6FD7s and USAF 596 in my WA6-SE.  All the 6SN7 and 6F8G talk made me think I was too quick to move onto the WA6-SE from the WA6.  Fortunately, I was saving the WA6 for my son so I can play with the new combinations.

Glenn asked the same question.
'These adapters are for the WA6-SE ???
The adapters for the SE are different they need a resistor and capacitor in them.'

I really wasn't interested in turning down the output of my WA6-SE with those additional mods since I already have a WA6.  Anyways, I also thought Glenn wasn't going to make these adapters for the WA6-SE because of friction Woo Audio was having with these adapters for the WA6-SE.

Mar 27, 2015 at 9:19 AM Post #33,251 of 42,298

I have a WE422A, a Marconi U-52 and (7) USAF 596 rectifiers. I also have two Brimars, a Sophia Princess, a Psvane WE274B and Full Music (Sophia Equivalent).  I stick mostly to the 596.  I was saving the WE422A for WA22 but it does sound so good.

Nice rectifier tubes…your definitely all set!
I also listen mainly to the 596, but lately have had the Brimar in, and on some occasions I will throw the SE Princess.

Anyways, I also thought Glenn wasn't going to make these adapters for the WA6-SE because of friction Woo Audio was having with these adapters for the WA6-SE.

I had the 6-SE, and this is what Glenn also told me about making the 6DE7>6SN7 adapters for it.

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #33,252 of 42,298

Nice rectifier tubes…your definitely all set!
I also listen mainly to the 596, but lately have had the Brimar in, and on some occasions I will throw the SE Princess.

Anyways, I also thought Glenn wasn't going to make these adapters for the WA6-SE because of friction Woo Audio was having with these adapters for the WA6-SE.

I had the 6-SE, and this is what Glenn also told me about making the 6DE7>6SN7 adapters for it.

I started making them again due to popular demand

Mar 27, 2015 at 12:36 PM Post #33,254 of 42,298
For those owners of WA22 is running balanced a worthy investment knowing i will need at least a balanced DAC not shure about HP cables from what i've  read .Thanks

Mar 27, 2015 at 1:22 PM Post #33,255 of 42,298
For those owners of WA22 is running balanced a worthy investment knowing i will need at least a balanced DAC not shure about HP cables from what i've  read .Thanks

I have a balanced DAC (Oppo HA-1) and unbalanced (Arcam irDAC) and run the WA22 both ways. I don't think it makes one bit of difference between unbalanced and balanced. I think the most important thing is to get a DAC with the right sound signature. For me the unbalanced DAC's sound signature was many levels better.

I do use the balanced headphone connection for two reasons. First stronger connection and two if I use SS (Oppo HA-1) there s a documented power gain. I have run a test between balanced and 1/4 inch connection and to my ears I could not pick up a quality difference. However others have said there is.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back