Woo Audio Amp Owner Unite
Mar 28, 2015 at 3:38 PM Post #33,273 of 42,298
Thanks for the pics. The Woo stand looks amazing.
WA234 plus Abyss Wow. :gs1000smile:

I've been thinking a lot about the WA234. I could probably afford one of those in the next couple years. If I had my arm twisted I could do it next year. Crickey I spent twice the amount for my projector. Then I think of the amount of NOS tubes I would have to put it and it turns me off. :rolleyes:

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:29 PM Post #33,274 of 42,298
Great pics, thanks Mike.

Hmm 234's in Silver just don't look right. Are they using Shunguang 274B's  
confused_face_2.gif

Mar 28, 2015 at 4:41 PM Post #33,275 of 42,298
WA234 plus Abyss Wow.
gs1000.gif

I've been thinking a lot about the WA234. I could probably afford one of those in the next couple years. If I had my arm twisted I could do it next year. Crickey I spent twice the amount for my projector. Then I think of the amount of NOS tubes I would have to put it and it turns me off.
rolleyes.gif

Do it ! You won't be disappointed, about time Matt & I had some company. Seriously there are only 2 sets of tubes you would ever need. Pretty much all the tube rolling experience involved with a WA 5 translates across.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:07 PM Post #33,276 of 42,298
WA234 plus Abyss Wow.
gs1000.gif

I've been thinking a lot about the WA234. I could probably afford one of those in the next couple years. If I had my arm twisted I could do it next year. Crickey I spent twice the amount for my projector. Then I think of the amount of NOS tubes I would have to put it and it turns me off.
rolleyes.gif

And I thought I was obsessed - I have stopped at the WA5. That's the end of the line for me and tubes.

WA234? Next life, maybe.

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:31 PM Post #33,277 of 42,298

OMG! You guys in Montreal got it going on. Conference rooms, hard wood tables, and leather captains chairs. Where do I sign up?

Mar 28, 2015 at 5:58 PM Post #33,278 of 42,298
Woo in a boardroom, looks very top shelf

Mar 28, 2015 at 7:05 PM Post #33,279 of 42,298
Mar 29, 2015 at 12:23 PM Post #33,280 of 42,298
  Hi magiccabbage,

I was at a local hi fi store the other day, and heard the Kef LS-50's ...did not even come close, literally and figuratively!  I have a pair of VMPS 40's that are good, but not like these.  Have not heard any mega bucks speakers recently, but I can say this...these are extremely natural sounding speakers....and I've been around live classical music all my life....these come so close to live, it really is amazing, especially at their price point. 

I can safely say, these speakers are "phenomenal".....that's just one positive word that comes to mind.  You would be disappointed to say the least,  if you did not
give these an audition.  Last night, listening to a choir cd in a church setting, the sound was all around me, so 3d, it was eerie. Listening to Tony Bennet, Elvis Presley, Nora Jones, Eva Cassidy etc,  they were floating in between the speakers with such clarity, it was amazing, without being overly bright etc.  Big Band cd's....huge soundstage behind the speakers, and all around me, depending on the recording venue....placement of instruments etc within that soundstage is right on the money...... Trumpets, horns,  like they should sound live, cymbals, drums, clear!

All these positive attributes have been with the WA5 at 10 watts!   Will be trying SS with an upgraded Threshold S200 and a Lightspeed Passive Attenuator later this weekend

They are without a doubt, very natural, musical, effortless sounding 2 way speakers. What you feed them upstream is important...ANY change is immediately noticed, that's how detailed and real they are. :)

Also, I am listening with older equipment, Sony XA7es CD, Aragon D2A Dac, and I am getting this kind of quality sound! 

all this was through the WA5 - LS-50's??? 

I didn't think the WA5 would have enough juice for those - aren't they too inefficient?  

Mar 29, 2015 at 1:06 PM Post #33,281 of 42,298
  Do it ! You won't be disappointed, about time Matt & I had some company. Seriously there are only 2 sets of tubes you would ever need. Pretty much all the tube rolling experience involved with a WA 5 translates across.

Dont know how I haven't asked you this yet but have you got a stock of 2A3's? 

What does the 234 sound like with 2a3's - HD800. I know you don't have HD800 but does Matt? 

Imagine AVVT 2A3 + U52 + HD800   vs Elrog 300b + U52 + HD800

Mar 29, 2015 at 5:09 PM Post #33,282 of 42,298

What does the 234 sound like with 2a3's - HD800. I know you don't have HD800 but does Matt? 

Haven't tried any 2A3 or 45 tubes yet, wouldn't mind seeing what type of sound they impart compared to the 300b's later down the track though.
I used to have a set of HD800's and PS1000's but after buying the abyss I sold them since they weren't getting any use.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:36 PM Post #33,283 of 42,298

I have tried the 2A3 and 45's, they both offer in order a sound that is softer than the 300B's and one could say less scale and drama. For my tastes the 30B's are where it is at. The Elrog probably crosses the line as a hybrid valve so gives you the best of both worlds. I am still not happy with the bass performance of the Elroy and that's the only thing holding me back from giving it an A+ performance rating. I have a gut feeling this is rectifier dependant and could be driver tube related as well. Though I not exactly short on choices there so far my favourite combo with the Elroy is the Tak 274B with the TSRP. 

Both Matt and I have decided to stay way from the U52's, I have some experience being English with the B65's and they are not as clean as the TSRP. There also seem to be some issues that Tony and others had had with the WA5 and NU's so I am saying away. I am exploring another 6SN7 option and will report back if that works out although based a past presence I don't expect it too. maybe the RCA grey glass could be a better match with the Elrog's.

As far as the HD-800 is concerned its defiantly not my thing, great of you like that sound signature, I don't. Matter of personal preference, not saying they are bad, just not my thing.

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:46 PM Post #33,284 of 42,298

I have tried the 2A3 and 45's, they both offer in order a sound that is softer than the 300B's and one could say less scale and drama. For my tastes the 30B's are where it is at. The Elrog probably crosses the line as a hybrid valve so gives you the best of both worlds. I am still not happy with the bass performance of the Elroy and that's the only thing holding me back from giving it an A+ performance rating. I have a gut feeling this is rectifier dependant and could be driver tube related as well. Though I not exactly short on choices there so far my favourite combo with the Elroy is the Tak 274B with the TSRP. 

Both Matt and I have decided to stay way from the U52's, I have some experience being English with the B65's and they are not as clean as the TSRP. There also seem to be some issues that Tony and others had had with the WA5 and NU's so I am saying away. I am exploring another 6SN7 option and will report back if that works out although based a past presence I don't expect it too. maybe the RCA grey glass could be a better match with the Elrog's.

As far as the HD-800 is concerned its defiantly not my thing, great of you like that sound signature, I don't. Matter of personal preference, not saying they are bad, just not my thing.

RCA 6SN7s have great warmth, but they give up a lot of detail, perhaps too much for a WA234 (I don't use them in my WA5 anymore).

Mar 29, 2015 at 8:56 PM Post #33,285 of 42,298

RCA 6SN7s have great warmth, but they give up a lot of detail, perhaps too much for a WA234 (I don't use them in my WA5 anymore).

They are so variable in quality I heard some that sound very average and some that are totally different and very good. Even from the same era, not easy finding a decent set. The early 1940's era one's are expensive but generally where the RCA magic is. Just thinking that may bring back the Elrog's tendency to sound forward, its never bright but maybe the RCA's or Brimar's would be more laid back.

Pondering.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back